U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2015, 07:49 PM

1,009 posts, read 1,643,379 times

Advertisements

Man, I'm having a really hard time with this one. Is the note 4 really worth 300 dollars more than the G3? I can't see it.

Guts:
It's a snapdragon 801 vs an 805.....meh. 3GB RAM on each device. Both have external storage options and removable battery.

Screen:
Note 4's slightly bigger, AMOLED and overly saturated in standard samsung fashion.
G3's is LCD backlit, supposedly better in direct sunlight (haven't seen either one in the sun).
Both are quad HD. G3's slightly higher pixel density due to .2" size reduction.

Camera:
13mpx with OIS on the G3, 16mpx with OIS on the note 4. I don't care about the front facing one.

Battery:
3000 mAh on G3, 3220 mAh on Note 4. Note 4 seems to do better overall even with the larger screen. I see most people saying they get 3h-4h screen on time at full brightness on the G3 while the Note 4 can hit around 6h screen on time.

Features:
Both have IR blasters.
I don't use the S Pen in my note 2 at all. Not considered a feature worth weighing for me.

Modding:
Both phones have locked bootloaders but it seems the G3 has been unlocked. Note 2 is still locked. Both phones have root capabilities. Knox trips on the Note 4.

Interfaces:
Touchwiz vs Optimus - I've used TW on my note 2 and I haven't ever had a problem with it. I've not used Optimus. In review videos, TW looks MUCH better than Optimus, which I find ugly and antiquated. However, since the bootloader is unlocked, I can install AOSP or CM ROMs to rid myself of Optimus if I so choose. I currently do not have that option with the note 4.

The phone I will buy will be subsidized through the carrier. I can get the G3 for 1 penny or the Note 4 for $300.

I really, really, really want to want the Note 4 but after seeing it in person and playing with it, it doesn't feel as high quality or premium as almost every review out there would have you believe. I just didn't get the hype. I can't say what the G3 feels like in the hand as I have not held one, but I can't imagine it will be any better or higher quality than the note 4. It's plastic and I expect plasticy feel. Edit: I just went to the best buy near my apartment and holy cow, the G3 is absolutely NOT high quality. I was expecting middle of the road but it is definitely low-end feeling. Still, I can't mentally justify the gargantuan price difference. Is a metal ring worth 300 dollars? What if I put a case on it? Does it even matter then? (I'm an advocate of case-free use though)

Am I missing something? What do you guys think? I'm assuming that since I don't have any use for the S Pen it's just not the phone for me. The G3's 5 months older and at this point nearly a year old.

I also want to hear more about the S6 but if the leaks are true I'm not interested. The ol' note 2 is on it's last leg and I don't know if it'll make it another month. It's been beaten, abused and it's been a great phone but it's just about time to pass on that torch.

The nexus is out of the question, I like big phones but I have my limits. I like the fact that you would get updates fast but the disappointing reviews I've seen leave me wanting more.

I think what is most offputting other than the stark price difference is the lack of innovation we've seen over the last 2 years. I mean...I guess at this point what more can you really do with a phone. My last upgrades were significantly more interesting to me than my options today. From a non-smart phone to an iPhone 3G to a Motorola Atrix to a Note 2 to one of these today. Guess it's expected but the gap is shortening in how much of an upgrade you're actually getting these days.

Last edited by adyn; 02-06-2015 at 08:40 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2015, 11:02 PM

630 posts, read 466,621 times
The Note 4 is overrated.

It's all about that LG G3 and Nexus 6.

Old 02-08-2015, 02:08 AM

27 posts, read 21,134 times
go with G3.

Old 02-09-2015, 12:35 AM

750 posts, read 710,990 times
Note 4. G3 rushed the next gen screen, and it isn't anywhere near as bright as most phones. The phone also can get too hot. Its camera is solid though. The Note 4 is more refined. Many want to be alternative and not support the big, scary manufacturers, or want to be a hipster. I have no such bias, and thus I only present you the facts.

Old 02-09-2015, 08:19 AM

I ended up going with the Note 4. They had both models at the store I bought it from and the G3 felt and looked significantly cheaper and lower quality compared to the Note.

The screen looked muted. I know samsung's AMOLEDs are always super saturated but even comparing it to other phones like the droid turbo, the G3's screen just looked dull and flat.

The body felt cheap. Like, more cheap than I was expecting, and I was expecting cheap. I know it was all-plastic before I went to check it out but so was my note 2 and even my nearly 3 year old phone felt like it was built better.

Even if it was a dollar I knew I wouldn't be happy with it for the next couple of years. I just wasn't impressed at all with the device. It didn't feel like an upgrade to the one I had already. Plus, Best Buy is running a deal right now (at least in my store) where you get $100 gift card when buying a Note 4, which they can add to the price of the phone. So my decision was between a $200 Note 4 and a $1 G3, and I went with the Note. Putting both next to each other, there really is no comparison.

Old 02-09-2015, 09:44 AM

13,077 posts, read 15,184,641 times
Different strokes for different folks. I LOVE the in the hand feel of the G3. The Note was WAY too big for me, even though they are similar in size. The G3 has that sexy tiny bezel which make it feel very well made and easier to manage to me.
They both have awesome internals, though. You'll be happy.

Old 02-09-2015, 11:42 AM

I think I'm finally at my ideal phone size for my hands. I held the nexus 6 a while back and that was pushing it just too far, and I'm a big proponent of big phones.

Old 02-09-2015, 02:37 PM

750 posts, read 710,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adyn View Post
I think I'm finally at my ideal phone size for my hands. I held the nexus 6 a while back and that was pushing it just too far, and I'm a big proponent of big phones.
I think you made the right choice. I haven't ventured into big phoneville yet, unless the Galaxy S 5 counts. Currently using the iPhone 5s, but its screen truly is too small. Yay for reading glasses

Old 02-10-2015, 08:22 AM

13,077 posts, read 15,184,641 times
Yea, the S5 counts. Sadly, that's almost considered small today. When it debuted... it was big.

Old 02-10-2015, 03:10 PM

1,178 posts, read 1,418,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adyn View Post
I ended up going with the Note 4. They had both models at the store I bought it from and the G3 felt and looked significantly cheaper and lower quality compared to the Note.

The screen looked muted. I know samsung's AMOLEDs are always super saturated but even comparing it to other phones like the droid turbo, the G3's screen just looked dull and flat.

The body felt cheap. Like, more cheap than I was expecting, and I was expecting cheap. I know it was all-plastic before I went to check it out but so was my note 2 and even my nearly 3 year old phone felt like it was built better.

Even if it was a dollar I knew I wouldn't be happy with it for the next couple of years. I just wasn't impressed at all with the device. It didn't feel like an upgrade to the one I had already. Plus, Best Buy is running a deal right now (at least in my store) where you get $100 gift card when buying a Note 4, which they can add to the price of the phone. So my decision was between a $200 Note 4 and a $1 G3, and I went with the Note. Putting both next to each other, there really is no comparison.
It's because of the 2K screen, LG rushed it and didn't calibrate it correctly. As for the Note 4 many sites have done measurements on the screen and it's the best screen at the moment in terms of color reproduction, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones