Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2015, 11:51 AM

6,985 posts, read 7,045,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk Workz View Post
I think this is the problem with your logic.

The mean US household income last year was over 54k, and the average was just over 70k. While neither of those is rich, they aren't exactly paycheck to paycheck either.
I, unfortunately, live in a high cost of living area. You cannot live here on the average US household income of 70k. Since my job does not pay well in comparison to the cost of living, not having a smart phone is a sacrifice that I choose to make in order to afford to live here.

Old 03-13-2015, 12:26 PM

16,546 posts, read 19,689,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
First of all, my job does not pay for phones. Secondly, even if they do, whether you realize it or not, it is coming out of your salary.
No, it's not. It's really not. My business understands that if they want to be able to get a hold of me at any time of the day or night, it is up to them to pay for that and it is not in any way my responsibility. If they didn't pay for my phone, I'd get paid MORE.

Quote:
That is not worth $60 per month.
to you on your current plan. You COULD get a smartphone for much closer to what you pay now then you think.

Quote:
But that is only for 1 phone. So you are comparing apples to oranges.
You missed the point. I am willing to pay a little more for better coverage, truly unlimited data, better customer service, the ability to not have to look for WiFi to do something, and to not have to shlep two devices around.

Old 03-13-2015, 04:53 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,566,607 times
Does anyone know of a good website for searching for WiFi networks?

Old 03-13-2015, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
No, it's not. It's really not. My business understands that if they want to be able to get a hold of me at any time of the day or night, it is up to them to pay for that and it is not in any way my responsibility. If they didn't pay for my phone, I'd get paid MORE.
That is exactly the point that I made. You agreed that if they didn't pay for your phone, your employer would pay you more. That means that you are getting paid less, and therefore, you are indirectly paying for your phone. Sounds like you're too naïve to even realize that, and your employer is taking advantage of you

Quote:
to you on your current plan. You COULD get a smartphone for much closer to what you pay now then you think.
But it would be on a network that sucks. Verizon has the best voice coverage where I live, and I don't want to give that up in order to get data features that I would never use.

Quote:
You missed the point. I am willing to pay a little more for better coverage, truly unlimited data, better customer service, the ability to not have to look for WiFi to do something, and to not have to shlep two devices around.
But I am not willing to pay even a dime more than I am already paying for those "conveniences". And, Verizon's data plan doesn't offer unlimited data anyway. On the other hand, WiFi is unlimited.

Old 03-13-2015, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv101 View Post
Does anyone know of a good website for searching for WiFi networks?
My local cable company offers free WiFi just about everywhere where I live, so I have no need to search for WiFi networks.

Old 03-13-2015, 09:26 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,231,509 times
A smart phone is a requirement of my job. I'm an independent contractor but must use certain apps provided by my main clients so must use a damned smart phone -- a newish one at that. I don't like them. I hate to text. I don't like getting phone calls when I'm working (driving or at a work site). I've used cell phones since the early '80s (bag phone) and understand their importance in working, but I wish they were still just phones.

When I was forced to get a smart phone, my wife decided she wanted one too. She uses it for calls, texting, Facebook and who knows what. As I'm typing this, she's on her computer chatting with her daughter and a friend, plus texting on her smart phone. I don't get it. Don't need to. Different strokes for different folks, but we're still a good match.

I should have my land line disconnected, however. I have all the calls to it transferred to my cell. I used to do that when I left the house and then switch it back when I returned, but for the past 6 months I've just left it on call forwarding.

Old 03-15-2015, 04:29 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,889,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Please show me where ONE person called you "weird". I think this has been a very adult discussion and no one is telling you what you SHOULD do.
Most people are NOT living paycheck to paycheck, You should stop watching Fox News. /joke

I do get tired of people saying "I just don't understand how people can WASTE money on xxxx". Maybe I make buckets of money and $150/month is peanuts to me???
- I don't even pay for my phone. My job does.
- You use a Touch. You, I assume, like it. You think everyone should carry around two devices to save $40-$60/month? You REALLY don't see any advantage to your touch being able to make a phone call? Send a text?
- I pay $70/month for my wife's iPhone. That's $25/month more then you pay. And its worth every penny to be on Verizon and not Boost Mobile.
My ex had a Palm AND an iPod touch when I first met her. The Palm was indeed a Smart Phone (not that good of one, but a smart phone none the less.) The touch she used for music.Up until I got my first smart phone, I had used an mp3 player over my phone for music because you would have to start from the beginning when listening to music on your phone. In mitsguy's case, the iPod touch acts as their smartphone for internet usage while their phone does phone functions instead of two in one. I can understand the convenience but if they have WiFi availability where they can tap in with the iPod Touch and not get charged for data, it's actually a somewhat smart solution.

Old 03-15-2015, 05:20 AM

3,549 posts, read 6,663,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
I don't care if you want to buy a Cadillac or not. That's your choice. But it seems that you have a problem with my driving a Chevy. Why do you care what car I drive?
Except that you started this thread to ask why everyone isn't driving a Chevy, and continue to extol the virtues of the Chevy after everyone explains why they don't want it.

And, IMO, this isn't a driving a Chevy vs. a Cadillac debate, it's more like driving a car vs. riding the bus.

Old 03-15-2015, 07:57 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,758,083 times
Thread closed for moderation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones