Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2015, 12:52 AM

2,151 posts, read 1,354,389 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
Sounds weird, and not something I'd be interested in using. Sorry.
That's fine. But at least it wipes out the concern of price. That's just one service (perhaps the most popular of them with 30 million users). The reality is that having a smartphone saves much more money and time than it costs. However, if you're not interested in saving money and time, that's perfectly fine.

Old 02-08-2015, 12:57 AM

6,985 posts, read 7,040,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
OK, so you're just wrong. As I said earlier, I'm paying $40 for 4GB of data shared across two lines. That was an offer they were running when I renewed my contract, but you can get 2GB for $40 still. If you can get by with less, you could pay $30 and share 1 GB.

I'd consider getting less data, but I enjoy Spotify in the car too much.
No, I am not wrong. Go to Verizon Wireless's webpage. Click Shop, and then plans and services, and then More Everything, then Build Your Plan. Select 2 smart phones, and 4 GB of data. The total comes to $140. That is far more than I am willing to pay. The 2 smart phones cost $40 each ($80 total), and the data plan (as I said) costs $60. $60 + $80 = $140. How can you say that I am wrong?

Old 02-08-2015, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDoPhysicsPhD View Post
That's fine. But at least it wipes out the concern of price. That's just one service (perhaps the most popular of them with 30 million users). The reality is that having a smartphone saves much more money and time than it costs. However, if you're not interested in saving money and time, that's perfectly fine.
But I would never use that service and wouldn't save any money with it. There are other ways to get discounts besides using that stupid service.

Old 02-08-2015, 01:03 AM

2,151 posts, read 1,354,389 times
Quote:
But I would never use that service and wouldn't save any money with it. There are other ways to get discounts besides using that stupid service.
You haven't even used the service... how are you in a position to call it stupid?

Old 02-08-2015, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDoPhysicsPhD View Post
You haven't even used the service... how are you in a position to call it stupid?
I read the Wikipedia link that you linked. It sounded weird, and it seems you have to do weird things to get discounts. And it seems like an invasion of privacy.

Old 02-08-2015, 01:18 AM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
No, I am not wrong. Go to Verizon Wireless's webpage. Click Shop, and then plans and services, and then More Everything, then Build Your Plan. Select 2 smart phones, and 4 GB of data. The total comes to $140. That is far more than I am willing to pay. The 2 smart phones cost $40 each ($80 total), and the data plan (as I said) costs $60. $60 + $80 = $140. How can you say that I am wrong?
Your original claim was that, "A data plan is an extra $30 per month beyond the already overpriced rates I'm paying. So for my wife and I, it would cost an extra $60 per month for the privilege to have a smart phone, before we've even used any data."

Now you've changed your story and decided that you were really talking about the 4GB plan, ignoring that there are several tiers below that. You may as well say it costs an extra $750/month because that's how much the 100 GB plan is.

Old 02-08-2015, 01:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
Your original claim was that, "A data plan is an extra $30 per month beyond the already overpriced rates I'm paying. So for my wife and I, it would cost an extra $60 per month for the privilege to have a smart phone, before we've even used any data."

Now you've changed your story and decided that you were really talking about the 4GB plan, ignoring that there are several tiers below that. You may as well say it costs an extra $750/month because that's how much the 100 GB plan is.
The 4GB plan is the recommended plan.

Old 02-08-2015, 02:05 AM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
The 4GB plan is the recommended plan.
So?

Recommended for who, and why?

I shared 1 GB for years and almost never went over. I only have more now because I like to listen to Spotify in the car.

Old 02-08-2015, 05:30 AM

3,549 posts, read 6,661,462 times
Quote:
I would have thought that the 3 bullet points above would be fairly common.
For us it's about freedom. I have to be connected nearly all the time to run my business, so I can either stay in an office all day, or I can have internet in my pocket and go wherever I want.

Last Wednesday I took two support calls, both of which required me to log into a server or desktop to fix a small problem. Both were done from a hiking trail in a local state park where I was hiking with my wife in the middle of the day.

That's just one of hundreds of examples I could give where I'm able to have a very flexible life by having a smart phone in my pocket.

So for me, the cell bill is a small price to pay for ultimate freedom.

That doesn't mean that you need it, or that you are wrong, just that your needs don't match what others need.

I also wouldn't do about half of what I do on my smartphone on a public WiFi connection, but that's just me.

Old 02-08-2015, 09:00 AM

171 posts, read 94,432 times
OP I felt exactly as you do and held out like forever until a few months ago. Then it was time to get a new cell phone and just took the plunge and went with the smart phone. Like people have said its like carrying a small computer in your pocket. You can do so MANY things with it. I'm near retirement so watching costs is important, with that said I'm glad that I went with the smart phone. Could I do without one. Absolutely. But again I'm very content with this purchase.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones