U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2015, 08:02 PM

10,814 posts, read 19,181,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Not even turned of for an hour? Do you leave your home or business computer on 24/7/365?
My home and work computers aren't cell phones. You for some reason are comparing 2 dissimilar pieces of tech. There is no need to turn my phone off, not even for an hour, it's been up and running since I bought it in August 2013. And yes, my work PC is on 24/7.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2015, 08:44 PM

9,305 posts, read 10,428,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
My home and work computers aren't cell phones. You for some reason are comparing 2 dissimilar pieces of tech. There is no need to turn my phone off, not even for an hour, it's been up and running since I bought it in August 2013. And yes, my work PC is on 24/7.
A smartphone is not a pocket sized computer? But yea, if you have a feature phone it doesn't matter. My mistake. I thought you had a smartphone.

And you never turn off your work PC? Question one. Your (if one has a smartphone) it is a computer that also works is a phone. Two, leaving your PC on 24/7 means it never updates, well it receives updates, but they are never installed as that requires a restart. Plus you are wasting power and money. Your choice.

But live as you choose!

Last edited by Mr5150; 02-20-2015 at 08:52 PM..

Old 02-20-2015, 09:42 PM

4,960 posts, read 4,697,546 times
Quote:
Not even turned of for an hour? Do you leave your home or business computer on 24/7/365? I like people did for 1000s of years, have an actual clock in my bedroom. Plus my God given natural clock makes me wake up at 6AM every day. I no longer use my 20 year old clock radio to get me to work on time. It was a wedding gift, which I cherish. Not needed. I don't need an alarm, but I know some do. That is fine.

That makes sense. I agree, but...

We, thankfully, *never* have 3AM emergencies. If uncle Joe has passed it can wait till 7AM. If child #2 is in jail it can wait till 7AM (life lesson). If mom is in the hospital and is receiving care it does not matter if I arrive at her bedside at 7:30 AM. Time was when we got middle of the night calls on our landline it could have waited. We got rid of our landline three months ago.

People complain about being a slave to one's phone. Not so. Choices. Turn off your phone if you want three or ten hours of peace. Same as not choosing to answer or turning off the ringer on your landline telephone. Let the answering machine get the call.

I digress, but it is all about choices and all computers need to be turned off and restarted on occasion to be healthy. Standard operating procedure.
I leave my work and personal computers on 24/7. I do run updates, and click "yes" when it says to restart to install, and they does just that - restart. Not so hard!

I do not have an actual bedroom clock. I like my phone's clock and alarm.

I HAVE gotten calls at 5 am from older family members....one was to tell me my mom had died. I cannot imagine if I had not answered that phone call from my dad.

I don't worry about calls from kids in jail...mine don't roll that way. I do worry about calls from kids if they are sick or worried or need advice or need to vent. I'm there. I'm their mom. It's what I do.

When I had a landline, I had a receiver on my bed stand, so I got calls then, too.

Old 02-20-2015, 09:45 PM

4,960 posts, read 4,697,546 times
Quote:
A smartphone is not a pocket sized computer? But yea, if you have a feature phone it doesn't matter. My mistake. I thought you had a smartphone.

And you never turn off your work PC? Question one. Your (if one has a smartphone) it is a computer that also works is a phone. Two, leaving your PC on 24/7 means it never updates, well it receives updates, but they are never installed as that requires a restart. Plus you are wasting power and money. Your choice.

But live as you choose!
My iPhone is a computer. Nope, never turn off my work or home Apples. They get updated regularly. Updates are downloaded, and if a restart is required, I press "yes" and the computers restart. They don't need to be completely shut down. Wasting power? There is this setting where you can turn off the monitor after x minutes and turn off the hard drive after x hours. The computer is not shut down, but is in power saving mode. When the cover is opened, it fires right up.

I do live as I choose! Thank you very much! I can do that!

Old 02-21-2015, 06:29 AM

3,549 posts, read 5,977,258 times
None of my computers or phones get powered off at night. They are all set to sleep when not in use so there's no power issues.

I run backups on all of them every night, and have some large downloads that happen on one while we aren't using it, so they need to on at night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones