Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2015, 06:51 PM

225 posts, read 216,053 times

Advertisements

I am driving, this weekend, from one state down a few. I have a touch device, Verizon LG4 (given to my for free by a coworker), but I have no plan or WIFI or calling (no SIM card). It is running the Android Cyanogenmod OS (sleeker, cleaner than stock OS). Is there some kind of prepaid 24h WIFI/3G/4G plan I can set up (tomorrow afternoon from home before I leave as I can use my own WIFI at home) to be able to use WIFI on the road wherever I am (East Coast) for a day?
Better FREE than having to pay (lack of funds) but if I have to pay $30 for a day of WIFI while traveling, I will.
Freedompop and Boingo are not viable options as one wants me to purchase hardware and the other only works at hotspots of its own menace. I just want 24h of a 3/4G network.
Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2015, 07:28 PM

6,639 posts, read 4,545,556 times
if you are running CyanogenMod then you can just enable the wifi-hotspot... assuming you have a data plan.

i pay for unlimited data so i just leave mine on without wpa security.

Old 02-26-2015, 08:13 PM

I have no plan at all. I only use WIFI from home, which is why I need some 24h plan for the road.

Old 02-26-2015, 08:28 PM

3,307 posts, read 9,359,857 times
Look into Page Plus. They are compatible with a bunch of Verizon phones and charge 10 cents per MB.

Old 02-26-2015, 08:43 PM

shop around for prices and coverage for the cheapest cdma based cell-fone company (i assume the lg g3 isnt gsm compatible).

Old 02-27-2015, 12:11 AM

87 posts, read 92,442 times
think mc donalds.
they have free wifi...but you have to be there not driving by.

Old 02-27-2015, 08:33 AM

3,307 posts, read 9,359,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
shop around for prices and coverage for the cheapest cdma based cell-fone company (i assume the lg g3 isnt gsm compatible).
Has to be a carrier that uses the Verizon network though. Sprint and Sprint-based MVNOs won't activate Verizon phones.

Old 02-27-2015, 08:55 AM

i heard cell-fones between sprint and verizon can be activated if you ask nicely. i read a blog that mentioned visiting 3 or 4 stores you mite get lucky if you get a nice manager (understandably, they make half their money on selling fones).

edit: it could be that certain model fones have wimax internet vs lte (which used to be the same between att(lte)/t-mobile(hsdpa+)) which would make it a moot point for the op (talking and text should be the same though).

i think that is what makes gsm more convenient for the user. as long as the sim card is activated the carrier has no idea what fone you are using.

a lot of new fones have both cdma and gsm radios to lessen that concern.

Old 03-01-2015, 06:21 PM

14,612 posts, read 17,419,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThySeeker View Post
I can set up (tomorrow afternoon from home before I leave as I can use my own WIFI at home) to be able to use WIFI on the road wherever I am (East Coast) for a day?
Better FREE than having to pay (lack of funds) but if I have to pay $30 for a day of WIFI while traveling, I will.
American Roaming will sell you a pin for 120 minutes of OUTGOING CALLS ONLY on cellular, for only $15. You have a year to use them.

Put google voice on your phone so that people can leave messages for you. Then swing by a McDonalds or Burger King or Panera where they have free wifi and pick up your messages. Usually you can just park in the lot, and you don't even have to go inside.

With Google Hangouts (also free) you can make phone calls from WiFi, but there is no Caller ID .

AFAIK, that's as cheap as you can be.

Old 03-02-2015, 05:30 AM

I mainly needed WIFI to Skype while traveling, without hotspot restrictions. I just did my travels without. Did not want to make stops every time I had to talk when I can drive with the device on the dash so I can drive (always both hands on wheel) and talk. Well, was just radio-ing with KLOVE (or similar) and classic rock for 18h. Got lucky and got some techno in Connecticut for a few hours.
Thanks for all the replies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones