U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2015, 01:09 AM

87 posts, read 80,746 times

Advertisements

well it seams my iphone has a sick battery. so i bought a "add" on unit.
but it does not charge off the same style plug as the phone. no problem as can not access the phone plug anyhow.
(otter-box resurgence) no charge requirements given for this product.

the "new " plug is far more common, and i have a car adapter plug that i can use but it puts out more amps than the iphone charger does.
is this going to do any damage to the extra batt or the factory phone batt? (1 amp ver 3.1 amps)
as i understand it the item drawing/using the amps. is the part that determines usage. not the supply, as the supply is only rated as giving up to that amount. is this right?

so a higher output from the supply is ok.

aka: supply 3.1 amps.

required 1.0 amps

is good to go

about all i know of electrical or this fancy computer stuff, is when the smoke gets out things stop working.

trying to learn.

Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2015, 07:18 AM

2,538 posts, read 3,883,817 times
I don't have an iphone, so I hope someone else here answers with specific knowledge, but in general:

The amps listed on chargers will be it's maximum it's designed to provide to limit overheating.
If you plug a 3 amp capable charger it into a device that can only accept 1 amp (due to internal restrictions), they typically have an automatic circuit that adds resistance, knocking the amps down to what it can take.

Likewise, if you plus a 1 amp charger into a device that can accept a 3 amp charge, it will take it, but charger slower than you expect.

My Samsung Galaxy S4 is like that, It's provided wall charger can push a lot of amps, but when I plug it into my car's charger, the phone shows a message that the charger is 'low capacity' and that recharging will be slow.

Old 02-27-2015, 09:24 AM

13,047 posts, read 15,155,650 times
Ed nailed it. A device only draws what it is built to draw. Although going the other way, some devices WON'T charge at all if a lower amperage charger is used.

Old 02-27-2015, 10:49 AM

87 posts, read 80,746 times
ok works as i thought. i am good to go.
the factory phone charger says 1 amp.
after market says 3.1 amp.

thanks for letting me bounce such a easy--for you-- question.

i am trying to learn about all this electrical stuff. but no body here to help me. so at times working blind.

not to worry i know 110 ac kills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones