Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2015, 09:42 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,951,087 times

Advertisements

My gf is a big Samsung fan (owns an S5), and I have owned Samsungs over the years, although I don't have one now (I now have an LG G2). We've always owned Androids, and are aware of the heavy polarization of Apple vs. Android owners. We don't particularly care for all the juvenile infighting; we just like the flexibility, choices, and competitive pricing Android offers. I've gotten wind of the new Samsung Galaxy S6 features, and I must admit to being extremely surprised by them:

Samsung's new Galaxy S6 and S6 Edge put design first | The Verge

WTF? No removable battery? No waterproofing? No micro SD slot? And all in favor of a metal and glass design a la iPhone. I hate to admit it, but it's an Android version of the iPhone, complete with upper echelon price tag (starting around $800). The only people I know of who even cared about the fact that Samsungs had a plastic body were tech writers who harped on endlessly about how ugly plastic was. Who cares? Owners put the phone in a cover anyway. Gf is livid. She depends on the waterproofing for her job and the ability to swap out batteries is very helpful on the road. I like the SD card slot because of Samsung's love of bloatware. When we upgrade next year, she's going with another smartphone brand for the first time, and I'm not switching back. We think it's a major FAIL for Samsung and not the right direction to go in order to gain market share. What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2015, 11:12 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,672,308 times
I think you are exactly what I expect from the Samsung faithful. It's a decent phone. It may do OK. But they are going to lose a lot of loyal fans.
Loved your comment about the plastic phone. Not ONE person I know complained about it and I know a lot of S5 owners. But every "professional" review had to harp on how cheap it felt...

Old 03-02-2015, 01:28 PM

1,826 posts, read 2,493,493 times
I was shocked to see them remove the Micro SD and removable battery, especially after they just made fun of Iphone users in their recent ads with the 'wall hugger' campaign. The S6 is heavily iPhone influenced. But that might be just what Samsung needed to save their smartphone business. Well see.

Old 03-02-2015, 01:34 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,520,307 times
My favorite part is the headphone jack on the bottom. Anyone remember the ads samsung posted making fun of apple for doing this?

This stuff is hilarious. Oh and their pay system is called "Samsung Pay". lol

Old 03-02-2015, 01:57 PM

17,156 posts, read 12,951,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeusAV View Post
I was shocked to see them remove the Micro SD and removable battery, especially after they just made fun of Iphone users in their recent ads with the 'wall hugger' campaign. The S6 is heavily iPhone influenced. But that might be just what Samsung needed to save their smartphone business. Well see.
I am too. I understand they need to start making a profit, but they will probably alienate many loyal customers with these changes. However, they may also draw new customers, which they could definitely use. I read the new S6 battery is actually smaller than the Galaxy S5. Samsung claims it has made up for the lack of size with efficiency, and that's essential with it now being nonremovable. Their phones are battery hogs, in my experience.

Old 03-02-2015, 02:45 PM

743 posts, read 831,770 times
Looks great. But I wonder how improved the front facing camera is... the S5's front cam is worse than a flip phone in anything but perfect outside lighting. I also wonder if the sound has been improved. On it's loudest setting on the S5, the entire phone would cheaply vibrate. Hopefully they put a decent cell/wifi radio inside. I've found Samsung to be awful in this dept. with multiple products. If all of these are confirmed, then I totally want the S6!

Old 03-03-2015, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
My favorite part is the headphone jack on the bottom. Anyone remember the ads samsung posted making fun of apple for doing this?
Yea...talk about *mind blown*...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJafiCKliA8

I don't care where the headphone jack is but apparently Sammy thinks we have short memories and don't remember them teasing Apple about moving the headphone jack...

Old 03-03-2015, 01:34 PM

4,053 posts, read 8,251,417 times
I love my Samsung Galaxy Note 2 because of the sd card, the removable battery and it's size. If this is the future direction of Samsung, I am disappointed. I was beginning to look forward to upgrading when the next one comes out. Not happy to hear about this.

Old 03-04-2015, 08:20 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,803,581 times
-The plastic versus metal thing is an idiotic debate, really, who actually really cares or is concerned about it?

-I do not like not having a removable SD card, but that would be fine and all, but Samsung will quadruple the price for storage of what an SD card would actually cost.

-As for the battery, I do not care if it is removable or not, i have never removed mine and they sell small, portable power supplies that can recharge while out and about. What I do not like about is that if the battery breaks, and it is out of warranty, that is just one extra expense to pay someone to do, which I hope it is a fixable item.

-Shame the waterproofing went away, love that feature. I am some that likes to get outside and use my s5 for pics and such, so it is comfortable knowing that it has some waterproofing element to it and not be paranoid about it getting wet, though I purposely would not do it.

I think Samsung made a mistake, they are trying after iPhone users, but most of those are very brand loyal, I doubt they would all of a sudden dump Apple, however, it seems Samsung did dump their own loyalist to an extent.

Old 03-05-2015, 07:30 AM

S6 Edge Iron Man Edition:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones