Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2015, 12:02 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,524,309 times

Advertisements

I love both phones and operating systems. I am able to see the benefits of both OS but I got the new Galaxy S6 (non Edge) on Friday and I'm hooked. It's the closest thing I've ever seen to an Android/Apple hybrid.

Samsung wasn't known for making devices that were all that pretty but this one is amazing. The double glass and the black that looks like blue in the light is impressive. Excellent build and feel in hand.

The features are what really got me though. The double click the home button anywhere to bring up the camera is such a simple addition but a brilliant one. Split screen apps is also pretty crazy and I'm really enjoying it. The camera itself is also better than my iPhone 6 Plus was. Much better in low light. The bloat is much smaller this year than Samsung is known for. TouchWiz itself is also much leaner and more functional. The fingerprint scanner works flawlessly.

The screen is mind blowing though. At almost 600 PPI I guess that is expected. The only thing that isn't up to par is battery life but my 6 Plus had a much larger battery so this is to be expected. I'm still getting over 5 hours of Screen on Time, which blows my old Nexus 5 away.

Let's not turn this into an Apple vs Android thread. I just want to see who has the GS6 and what their thoughts are? Maybe get some opinions from Apple users as well if we can keep it civil.

This is finally an Android phone that may take me away from my iPhone more than a few months.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2015, 12:06 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,691,254 times
I got the S6 Edge, it blows away all current Android. Previous phone is Note 3, stopped using iPhones since iPhone 4 and there's no going back.

iPhones are too simplistic for me, hardware is good but not great. Apple has always used smallish batteries and overcharge people for small storage.

For me the Edge is a great phone because it has the curve screen which makes the screen looks bigger when watching a movie in borderless view.

It doesn't feel slippery like the iphone 6 and the screen is amazingly sharp and bright.

The camera blows away the iPhone 6.

Old 04-13-2015, 01:52 PM

16,544 posts, read 19,685,380 times
I have a Turbo which is a hell of a phone. I wouldn't say the Samsung blows IT out of the water. Maybe, dare I say it.... EDGES it out!?!

Nice to see a mini review on both models.

Old 04-13-2015, 04:17 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,541,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
I love both phones and operating systems. I am able to see the benefits of both OS but I got the new Galaxy S6 (non Edge) on Friday and I'm hooked. It's the closest thing I've ever seen to an Android/Apple hybrid.

Let's not turn this into an Apple vs Android thread. I just want to see who has the GS6 and what their thoughts are? Maybe get some opinions from Apple users as well if we can keep it civil.

This is finally an Android phone that may take me away from my iPhone more than a few months.

Just bear in mind that the iPhone 6 Plus has been out for seven months. That is a long time ago in smartphone years.

With that said, enjoy!

See you in September.

Old 04-13-2015, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Just bear in mind that the iPhone 6 Plus has been out for seven months. That is a long time ago in smartphone years.

With that said, enjoy!

See you in September.

I cry because it's true.

Old 04-14-2015, 02:53 PM

1,200 posts, read 1,604,495 times
And it seems like the edge version is selling more than Samsung expected:

Samsung "failed" to predict the crazy success of the Galaxy S6 edge, sales reportedly beat expectations
Quote:
Reportedly, an industry official declared that, in the last three days, sales in South Korea reached an "all-time high" compared to previous Galaxy S models.

Interestingly, it's said that the Galaxy S6 edge (which is more expensive than the regular S6) accounts for about 50% of all sales. According to Yonhap News, a "high-ranking Samsung official" recently mentioned that the company "failed to make a precise prediction of demand" for the curved smartphone, that's why supply shortages may continue for more than a month.

Old 04-15-2015, 10:15 AM

237 posts, read 499,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I got the S6 Edge, it blows away all current Android.
Samsung's own Note 4 that has been out for six months is a better device than the new S6.

Old 04-15-2015, 12:19 PM

16,544 posts, read 19,685,380 times
Bigger doesn't mean better.

Old 04-15-2015, 12:30 PM

237 posts, read 499,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Bigger doesn't mean better.
Right, I was referring to the better specs, although in this case the larger screen is beneficial as well.

Old 04-15-2015, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subzro View Post
Right, I was referring to the better specs, although in this case the larger screen is beneficial as well.
Better specs doesn't always mean better as well. There's phones with 4GB RAM that stutter and iPhones with 1GB that fly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones