Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2015, 07:25 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaleWany View Post
Android has a lot of apps mostly some of which are pure crap unlike Windows which has better quality apps which aren't crappy
This is just not true.

Both stores are filled with probably 95%+ utter garbage and useless junk.

Now, the handful of apps that actually matter, I tend to agree they work well on Windows Phone (if they're available). I imagine this has more than a little bit to do with the fact that Windows Phone has excellent developer tools while Android's tools have historically been pure garbage that make writing good software difficult (this has gotten much much better lately, but there's still a ton of old junk out there). Same goes for iOS - the apps look nice and work well because Apple has gone to great pains to make it so that even a fairly poor developer can churn out at decent UI at least, and customers expect that the apps will look nice and do what they say they do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2015, 10:05 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,908,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Which means nothing. There are still a ton of bad apps in the Apple store. And there will be a ton in the Windows one as soon as more people start developing for it. The amount of testing required has zero to do with bad apps being released.

Certainly no reason to choose one OS over another.
Windows phones aren't really mainstream therefore not much interest for developers (no money to be made)

Old 08-22-2015, 11:03 AM

230 posts, read 228,611 times
Windows still has the upper hand

Old 08-23-2015, 04:40 PM

2,420 posts, read 3,848,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Uh.. most of the press aren't anti-Windows phone.

Microsoft Windows Phone 8.1 review - Engadget

My problem with WinPhone is there just aren't enough different models. What are there, like 3 out now? 1 or 2 available on Verizon? They need more manufacturers on board and fast.
I'd say most are. Ever read the 'hit pieces' against Windows? CNET, Computerworld, lifehacker, etc. How about the latest 'hit-piece' by Preston Gralla on Computerworld: Windows 10: Microsoft lays its smartphone ambitions to rest. Or lifehacker's article: Enterprise May Be The Last Bastion Of Hope For Windows Phone. It goes on and on. People read the headlines and move on instead of trying out the phone for themselves.

-Cheers.

Old 08-23-2015, 04:44 PM

28,666 posts, read 18,779,066 times
The rules of buying an operating system has always been: 1. Determine what applications you need, and buy the operating system that runs them. 2. Determine what hardware fits your environmental and logistical requirements and buy the operating system that runs on it. 3. Determine what you can afford and buy the operating system that fits your budget.

Old 08-23-2015, 07:03 PM

2,761 posts, read 3,426,854 times
I am using Android. I resisted getting a real smart phone as long as possible and so this is my first smart phone. My old broke so I went to Verizon store and left with Galaxy S5. It's not so bad. I will tell you what I always found about modern cell phones. My Galaxy S5 has tons o features, I have an app that tracs my daily exercise and has a pedometer, tracks my weights. I could go on and on about the useful stuff this phone has. The sing is that talking on it is not convenient. If I want to have a conversation I put on bluetooth device or headphones with a microphone.

But anyways, I have no idea what is the best Mobile OS, I generally dislike Apple.

Old 08-24-2015, 02:14 AM

230 posts, read 228,611 times
Most people including myself have Android phones due to their affordability and number of apps (I hope);this is the place where Android beats iOS/Windows phone
If these factors were constant maybe there would be more iOS/Windows

Old 08-24-2015, 08:18 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,689,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaleWany View Post
Windows still has the upper hand
If that was true, they'd own more then 7% of the cell phone market.

Old 08-24-2015, 08:51 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,529,606 times
Let me take a stab at who likes what in a way that is offensive but not too offensive:

Android - Nerds, geeks, and the middle and lower class
iOS - Hey I have an iPhone, LOOK AT ME
Windows - my 65 year old mother

I kid of course!

I have Android and iOS devices.

Old 08-25-2015, 06:50 AM

15,431 posts, read 25,807,497 times
Someone mentioned that Android phones are more affordable, but I could not find one more affordable than a Windows phone. I also couldn't find one that had the latest version of Android, and had the features we wanted. All of the phones I found cost the same as an iPhone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones