Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2015, 07:38 PM

23,656 posts, read 13,964,967 times

Advertisements

I still use a Razor and part of the reason for that is I don't want to turn into a zombie; I have enough problems with Net addiction with a computer.

But......thinking of a smart phone like a ST:TOS tricorder, could it be a useful tool? Well, it could act as a video camera, take pictures, and I think I've seen programs for a computer that allows those to be down loaded to one's computer without going through the Net.

But other than that, what can a smartphone do on its own?

Keep in mind that the lady asking this is still using a Razor and hence,is smartphone clueless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2015, 08:00 PM

9,885 posts, read 10,967,002 times
The only thing I know about a "smart phone" is that I will never own one, and I don't want one.
My cell phone makes and receives phone calls. That is all it is used for.
Oh, yes, it has a camera. I never use it (I seldom use the Fuji digital camera I have, either).
I think my phone could send and receive texts, but I have never enabled it. If someone wants to talk to me, they can call. The phone is always in my pocket, I WILL answer it!
IF, of course, I am in an area where there is cell service! Regardless of what some companies say, there are still large areas of the country with no service!
No matter how "smart" a phone is, or what "apps" it has, if there is no service it is just a useless little brick.

Old 09-13-2015, 10:01 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,907,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
I still use a Razor and part of the reason for that is I don't want to turn into a zombie; I have enough problems with Net addiction with a computer.

But......thinking of a smart phone like a ST:TOS tricorder, could it be a useful tool? Well, it could act as a video camera, take pictures, and I think I've seen programs for a computer that allows those to be down loaded to one's computer without going through the Net.

But other than that, what can a smartphone do on its own?

Keep in mind that the lady asking this is still using a Razor and hence,is smartphone clueless.
Check weather reports
Play games
Text
Email
Check traffic
Maps
Restaurant reviews
Movie times
News
Stock market reports
Videos
Social forums
Clock
Calendar
Calculator
Photo album
Listen to podcasts
Address book
Flashlight
Camera
Dictionary
Unit converter
Language translator
Star map guide
First aid guide
Wi fi locator
Almanac
Plumb bob
Compass
Web cam viewer
Radio
iPod
Redbox locator
Level
Barcode scanner
Bartender guide
Voice memo recorder
Note book
TV guide
Gold and silver price tracker

This is just my phone. There are many many more uses for a smart phone

Old 09-13-2015, 10:26 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,532,401 times
Quote:
Confining my answer to just communications functions:

My mother has a flip phone that costs her $25+$5 taxes and fees per month from Verizon (700 minutes per month daytime). This plan is the cheapest one offered by Verizon. The next level up is $50 + taxes and fees.

I have a smartphone that I use to make wifi calls from. Every shopping center has one free wifi place, as well as nearly every grocery store, Panera, Burger King etc. I use my smart phone to make free wifi calls and I supplement those calls with a few minutes of cell calls on a pay as you go service using Verizon. My cost is $3 a month for 20 supplemental cellular minutes (or 40 texts).

So even without apps, you could potentially save hundreds of dollars per year on mobile communication.

Old 09-13-2015, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skugelstadt View Post
Check weather reports
Play games
Text
Email
Check traffic
Maps
Restaurant reviews
Movie times
News
Stock market reports
Videos
Social forums
Clock
Calendar
Calculator
Photo album
Listen to podcasts
Address book
Flashlight
Camera
Dictionary
Unit converter
Language translator
Star map guide
First aid guide
Wi fi locator
Almanac
Plumb bob
Compass
Web cam viewer
Radio
iPod
Redbox locator
Level
Barcode scanner
Bartender guide
Voice memo recorder
Note book
TV guide
Gold and silver price tracker

This is just my phone. There are many many more uses for a smart phone
And it can do all this without being part of the Net? All of that? Really?

That is the question on the table, if it is not hooked up to the Net, for whatever reason, what can it do?

Can it, for example, store and be able to access a file, downloaded earlier, that lists all the serial numbers of Uzi's or stolen weapons?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
Confining my answer to just communications functions:

My mother has a flip phone that costs her $25+$5 taxes and fees per month from Verizon (700 minutes per month daytime). This plan is the cheapest one offered by Verizon. The next level up is $50 + taxes and fees.

I have a smartphone that I use to make wifi calls from. Every shopping center has one free wifi place, as well as nearly every grocery store, Panera, Burger King etc. I use my smart phone to make free wifi calls and I supplement those calls with a few minutes of cell calls on a pay as you go service using Verizon. My cost is $3 a month for 20 supplemental cellular minutes (or 40 texts).

So even without apps, you could potentially save hundreds of dollars per year on mobile communication.
I'm happy with the 1000 minutes I get from T-Mobile for $40. Things might be a little better if texting was included in that, but I can live with it. Further, it is an amount I'm willing to pay to a company I like and I am not in the habit of looking for ways I can cheat my vendors.

Finally, much of my life is "playing submarine" where in class, at a presentation, at a play, during a conference, while driving, etc., my phone is OFF. So while I have a decent amount of cell phone comms (and not because the current house is in a cell tower dead zone), I'm not that much tied to it. In fact, if anything, my cell phone is used more for the alarm clock feature.

Old 09-14-2015, 12:00 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,533,451 times
Offline, I use it as a camera, audio recorder ,e-reader, GPS with offline maps, music player with FM radio and music files, document storage/external harddrive, alarm clock/stopwatch/watch, TV remote, pedometer, offline games,calculator and paper weight

Lots to do on it with no data connection, no reason you can't use same cll only plan on smartphone for same price but get more out of it

Old 09-14-2015, 01:02 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,825,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven
The only thing I know about a "smart phone" is that I will never own one, and I don't want one.
My cell phone makes and receives phone calls. That is all it is used for.
I agree totally!!!

All they are good for is SPYING ON PEOPLE!!

Old 09-14-2015, 01:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeb View Post
Offline, I use it as a camera, audio recorder ,e-reader, GPS with offline maps, music player with FM radio and music files, document storage/external harddrive, alarm clock/stopwatch/watch, TV remote, pedometer, offline games,calculator and paper weight

Lots to do on it with no data connection, no reason you can't use same cll only plan on smartphone for same price but get more out of it
Thank you! You more or less answer my question....even though a lot of what you answered is counter to my beliefs. That is, as a kind of Paparazzi, I use a DSLR with a telephoto. My life is such that a wrist watch is required. I buy and use music CD's, navigate, and my calculator is my mind. I carry thumb and external drives, read paper and hardbacks (I take it that is what was meant by an e-reader), and don't do games when I am away from the main computer. I have a number of hand held voice recorders around though they were probably last used around 2009.

The question is on the table for two reasons.

First of all, I may be looking at a new phone. My Razor is several years old, has experienced resets, need to reinsert SIM, and isn't always as efficient on the battery (2nd one, less than a year old) as it should be. So I might hunt down another Razor or ..........

Secondly, the smartphone has been a constant research subject but it has never matured into a decision. Right now, only three uses have been seen for it: weapons serial numbers, keeping up with Craigs List (which has fallen in importance from where it was 2-3 years ago), and for maps not already stored in my head (I rather pride myself as a navigator).

But part of this also comes from what is a tool.....and what is something to feed an addiction. As said above, my life is something like a submarine. I come to the surface, put up masts, answer calls, download information for the banks, pull down the masts, submerge, and go elsewhere. I like that life.....and I have known computer addiction, for how it plays on one's fantasy life, for the longest time, since 1979. I know the best way to combat it is to leave the room the computer is in, to keep the laptop closed, or, in older days, to have the computer busy on a project that took hours to process (when downloads were over telephone lines and not cable).

So having the computer, as we know it today, in my pocket is really not a benefit to me.

I don't want to become a zombie. I don't want to be someone who is unaware of her world, who is not constantly taking in information of the natural world around her. Finally, I want to be the person I am, whose mind is constantly running, constantly thinking, processing information now....and deciding what can wait for later to be questioned, to be answered. This "need" to be able to access any information now, assuming that it is correct (and often, that is not certain), I don't believe it is healthy or, at the very least, it is not good for mental discipline and analytical thinking.

So back to the topic. What I want is more of a working and not a fun computer and less of a browser. Is a smart phone that?

Last edited by TamaraSavannah; 09-14-2015 at 01:51 AM..

Old 09-14-2015, 07:26 AM

1,110 posts, read 1,907,759 times
Quote:
And it can do all this without being part of the Net? All of that? Really?

That is the question on the table, if it is not hooked up to the Net, for whatever reason, what can it do?

Can it, for example, store and be able to access a file, downloaded earlier, that lists all the serial numbers of Uzi's or stolen weapons?

I'm happy with the 1000 minutes I get from T-Mobile for $40. Things might be a little better if texting was included in that, but I can live with it. Further, it is an amount I'm willing to pay to a company I like and I am not in the habit of looking for ways I can cheat my vendors.

Finally, much of my life is "playing submarine" where in class, at a presentation, at a play, during a conference, while driving, etc., my phone is OFF. So while I have a decent amount of cell phone comms (and not because the current house is in a cell tower dead zone), I'm not that much tied to it. In fact, if anything, my cell phone is used more for the alarm clock feature.
Some items I listed do need wifi but you can get free wifi at various locations, download what you need or even take a screen shot. You can download maps to your phone that work off GPS to show where you are.
You can get 1000 minutes a month from Pure Talk for $17.95 and it includes texting (texting is 1/3 of a minute talk time). I've had Pure Talk on my spare phone for over a year with no problems. You can change your plan at any time on line or by calling them. Customer service (you talk to an actual person) is very good. I think their data plan is a little expensive but I don't need that on my spare phone.

Note:Pure talk also has a senior plan that has even better rates

As a side note, I recommend a phone with at least a 5" screen to make viewing easier. I have a friend who has an aversion to modern technology, he is missing out on so much. You can still use your brain and navigate, calculate etc but what's wrong with having your smart phone as a plan "B" in case you need it? One of my favorite things - I listen to a lot of talk radio but subscribe to podcasts so I can listen to them at MY leisure not when the broadcast was live. A smartphone is a very powerful tool, and once you discover this for yourself I think you might embrace it.

Last edited by skugelstadt; 09-14-2015 at 07:44 AM..

Old 09-14-2015, 07:26 AM

16,541 posts, read 19,672,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
I agree totally!!!

All they are good for is SPYING ON PEOPLE!!
No, Dude, they are good for so much more then spying on people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones