Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2015, 12:06 PM

853 posts, read 4,036,897 times

Advertisements

I have an individual Verizon plan with a Windows phone. My contract is over, it's time to look at family plans, and even looking online for a while, I'm still really confused.

Am I correct that now with At&t and Verizon, the plans can be cheaper if we get our own phones first? And it's unlocked phones we'd need?

Can any phone be unlocked, for example, can I unlock my Windows phone and use that? Then is it the norm to buy used unlocked phones from people, or is it better to buy through a store? Can we each have a different type of phone?

It would be three of us for now, 2 teens who'd probably want iPhone 5's. For myself, I'd like to someday go larger than the Nokia I have now, but money is a factor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2015, 03:52 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,260,372 times
How much data? AT&T gives a larger line discount for more data.

To your Q, the 2 year cost is about the same. I think a contract is $40 cheaper depending on the phone, but this can vary because on AT&T next you pay sales tax on the phone, but a contract has you pay wireless tax that ranges from 0-24%. Ex: An $800 phone has ~$80 of sales tax, but a contract has ~$61 ((.17*($15*24)) of additional wireless tax plus sales tax, if any, from the phone. I think an $800 would sell for $200-$300 Under contract, so you are looking at roughly $20-$30 +/- in addition to the $61.

You don't need an unlocked phone necessarily. You just need a phone that will work on the network and supports the correct band. If you buy an AT&T phone (used, new, whatever) then it doesn't need to be unlocked to work on AT&T.

You also do not need to buy a phone outright. AT&T and Verizon offer 0% financing on phones.

You may be able to unlock your current phones and use them on AT&T, but unlocking does not guarantee that the phones will work. You have to check on the band support for your Model phone and compare that to what AT&T's bands are.

Since you mentioned iPhones, those phones are nearly identical and all have the same GSM bands - GSM is AT&T and T-mobile network technology. The current iPhone 6s has band 30 support on the AT&T line, but the other phones will be the same. Specs for a phone can be found online, but you need to know your model number to know which specs are applicable.

You can all have different phones.

Old 10-04-2015, 07:37 PM

17,709 posts, read 29,812,481 times
You are supposed to be confused.
The plans are designed, purposely, to confuse.

Old 10-05-2015, 07:03 AM

14,611 posts, read 17,551,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reneeme View Post
It would be three of us for now, 2 teens who'd probably want iPhone 5's. For myself, I'd like to someday go larger than the Nokia I have now, but money is a factor.
Teenagers have an almost unlimited desires when it comes to electronics. It often isn't compatible with "money being a factor".

Many teens first instinct is to text, while older adults tend to use voice. There are very low cost options which teens may find functional. Scratch Wireless has a service where you must purchase their phone for $100 (only one model is available). You get unlimited texting on cell, voice on wifi for free. If you need voice via cell it costs as little as $2 a day or $15 a month. Data is expensive, so you have to show some restraint on data. A reasonable calculation is $6 a month per teen.

The most common choice for teens who want iPhones and lots of data is Straight Talk's $45 a month (5 gigabyte plan).

If it costs you $1200 a year to insure your kids to drive, and you spend $1200 a year for them to talk/text/and use data on their phones, it may be a strain on you. If you give them a choice, they will naturally choose to drive. Free Wifi is available at almost every shopping strip mall, nearly every grocery store, school, and most fast food places (Panera, Burger King, McDonalds). Just think about it.

Old 10-05-2015, 10:14 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,689,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
You are supposed to be confused.
The plans are designed, purposely, to confuse.
Disagree. It's pretty dead simple nowadays.

How much data do you want to share? That will cost xx.xx/month. Add $20 - $29 /month /phone if you want to pay for your phone over time.

OP, no you do not all have to have the same phone.

Forget the Straight Talk advice. No iPhones and low end Android phones.

Old 10-06-2015, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Disagree. It's pretty dead simple nowadays.

How much data do you want to share? That will cost xx.xx/month. Add $20 - $29 /month /phone if you want to pay for your phone over time.

OP, no you do not all have to have the same phone.

Forget the Straight Talk advice. No iPhones and low end Android phones.
Thanks Peregrine. Those costs are about what I saw online, but I wasn't sure if there were hidden costs or if I was understanding correctly. And just to be clear, I think you mean the cost of data total, then about $20 per person, plus phone costs if we go that route?

I also read on here (after my post) about Swappo (or something) for used phones and that helped understand how buying a used phone works.

Then in response to post before from PacoMartin, my 16 year old has had a non-smart phone for a few years. This is the first time he's asked. I think he wants to be able to be more social, and he also offered to pay his portion if needed. Getting him a cheaper plan that didn't let him use his phone much when he's out or in bad coverage areas would kind of defeat the purpose. Then we'll hold out with my 14 year old until next year when he's in high school. He doesn't even have a regular cell phone as he's too embarrassed to be seen with one (and yes I agree this is silly), so it's tricky when he goes out. For the money aspects, it looks like there are ways to make it more affordable, which is what I'm aiming to do.

Thank you.

Old 10-07-2015, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reneeme View Post
Thanks Peregrine. Those costs are about what I saw online, but I wasn't sure if there were hidden costs or if I was understanding correctly. And just to be clear, I think you mean the cost of data total, then about $20 per person, plus phone costs if we go that route?
Yea, forgot about that LINE ACCESS CHARGE. (which is so lame).

6GB from VZW = $60
+$20/per phone for that lame charge = $120
Buy your own phones from Swappa (great place to buy) and that's your cost.
Otherwise buy from VZW and add $xx.xx per month per phone.

Sprint will waive the access charge of $15 per line if you do autopay or something.
Sprint still offers 2 year contracts too.

Old 10-07-2015, 07:43 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,826,300 times
Clark Howard: Cheap Cell Phone Plans | Clark Howard More info. for further confusion. 5 Prepaid Phone Carriers That Could Save You Money | Digital Trends

Old 10-07-2015, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Yea, forgot about that LINE ACCESS CHARGE. (which is so lame).

6GB from VZW = $60
+$20/per phone for that lame charge = $120
Buy your own phones from Swappa (great place to buy) and that's your cost.
Otherwise buy from VZW and add $xx.xx per month per phone.

Sprint will waive the access charge of $15 per line if you do autopay or something.
Sprint still offers 2 year contracts too.

Lol, thanks!

I stopped in to Verizon today. Other than a phone for my 16 year old, and we'd look on Swappa or pick a cheaper (rental?) phone, it looks like the monthly charges for the two of us will be about the same as what I'm paying now for my plan/phone, and his Pre-Paid. 6GB should be more than enough data. I've never used over 2GB's, and I doubt he would either. Adding my 14 year old, however, would likely be another story. So, will wait a little longer to think about that!

Thanks again! Seems like the plans are less confusing than they used to be, but more decisions about phones.

Old 10-08-2015, 08:36 AM

You just need to instruct the kid... and you should also pay more attention... to getting on Wifi whenever you can.
"well, I'm only going to be at the library for an hour, I won't need to connect to the wifi...."
#JustDoIt
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones