Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2015, 01:22 PM

5,333 posts, read 8,542,738 times

Advertisements

Have you asked anyone else at this bar if the same thing has happened to their phones?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2015, 02:08 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,529,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John7777 View Post
I'm not "focusing" in Xfinity. It's just that Xfinity seems to be the one variable that causes the problem. Perhaps it's just a coincidence. Anyway, I've reset/erased by entire phone a number of times now, and it's always just fine until I encounter the wi-fi signal.

I hate to trash the entire phone, as it was expensive, but it may come to that. I've got an extra IPhone 5S around here somewhere. Or, I could buy another Samsung.
The bar is the one variable.

Old 12-03-2015, 04:13 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,682,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
The bar is the one variable.
Actually, there are two bars/restaurants that have the same wi-fi. I visited both on different days and I had the same problem after.

Anyone that thinks I'm nuts is welcome to follow me around for a few days.

Old 12-04-2015, 02:38 PM

15,430 posts, read 25,807,497 times
Quote:
I'm not "focusing" in Xfinity. It's just that Xfinity seems to be the one variable that causes the problem. Perhaps it's just a coincidence. Anyway, I've reset/erased by entire phone a number of times now, and it's always just fine until I encounter the wi-fi signal.

I hate to trash the entire phone, as it was expensive, but it may come to that. I've got an extra IPhone 5S around here somewhere. Or, I could buy another Samsung.
You can give the phone to me rather than trash it.

When you're resetting the phone through itunes, are you restoring the wifi profile back onto the phone?

Old 12-04-2015, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
You can give the phone to me rather than trash it.

When you're resetting the phone through itunes, are you restoring the wifi profile back onto the phone?
No, I haven't set it up through iTunes at all. I just erase and reset as a "new phone." I guess it restores certain info from the cloud. And I have gone to the trouble of a erasing all Xfinity passwords and cookies from the cloud and whatever information Safari stores. If I want to put my music back on the phone, though, I'll have to hook it up to iTunes sooner or later.

Old 12-04-2015, 09:00 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,984,674 times
Take the phone to any cell phone store and ask them to do a complete factory wipe and reset. You'll pay for that but it will basically clear your phone of anything that was not on it the day it left the factory. Turn OFF wi-fi. DO NOT connect to any Xfinity networks especially your home network as that still has all the settings to include information on your phone ready to be returned to that phone when it connects. DO NOT retrieve any information you had stored anywhere. Take that bare phone to the locations you had issues with and see if anything happens (it should not). Next turn on wi-fi and return to those locations but DO NOT connect or even look at the sign-in page. Go home and tell us what happened to the battery level. If it is what we all think it is, your battery level will show normal usage. Now, turn on the wi-fi and set up your phone on your home network and retrieve whatever info you normally were retrieving. Go back to those spots. Tell us the results.

Old 12-04-2015, 09:37 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
No. The Wi-Fi on my phone was OFF. I might as well have been out in some field in the middle of nowhere. Just my cell phone data was turned on. I should have been A-OK.
If this is actually true, the problem has nothing to do with xfinity or wi-fi.

Time to stop blaming Comcast.

Old 12-05-2015, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
If this is actually true, the problem has nothing to do with xfinity or wi-fi.

Time to stop blaming Comcast.
As I've said, I'm not trying to "blame" anyone. I'm just trying to figure out what the problem is and then fix it.

And for what it's worth, it happened again yesterday. I was out yesterday and the day before and then yesterday afternoon, the battery drain started again. At midnight I had 45% of my battery left (I switched it to low power at that point), and when I woke up this morning, the battery was at 2%. So I used up 43% of my battery overnight while the phone was laying there doing nothing.

I'm currently doing a reset/recharge and I'm sure that, so long as I don't leave this house, the phone will be fine.

Maybe I'll try leaving wi-fi off permanently. I'm holding off going to the Apple Store because that place is a madhouse. It would almost be easier to buy another phone.

Old 12-06-2015, 09:46 PM

15,430 posts, read 25,807,497 times
Make an appointment and go there. There's something wrong with it

Old 12-07-2015, 07:04 AM

Here's an update:

As I said in an earlier post, I did another reset of the phone. Erased everything and set it up as a new phone. This time, I didn't even give the phone my wi-fi password and I didn't turn the wi-fi on. A turned off location services for many of the apps after I loaded my usual apps. Also, I tried something new. I didn't give the phone my Yahoo mail account information. And so far, I haven't been near a bar or restaurant with wi-fi. I made one ten minute call yesterday and looked at a few emails on the phone. I think I got one or two text messages.

The phone is working perfectly. I recharged it yesterday morning and this morning the battery level still said 90%. We'll see what happens over the next few days. If need be, I can live without wi-fi for the phone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones