Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 08:35 AM

Location: Lived Large in Parsippany NJ - Lived Larger in Livingston, NJ -- Now Living Huge in Bethlehem PA
466 posts, read 2,199,838 times

Advertisements

YES you can - you couldnt when Vonage started fresh but now they allow you to and you even set up which address to use for your 911 emergency if anything ever happens.

You can also block unwanted calls with no caller ID etc....they keep adding to their features and all this while I have been with them I have recommended a few features as well which they have integrated and any user can go to their forums and request certain features....might take a while but Vonage always makes the customer happy.

And did I mention I just got a $10 discount off my plan for a whole year so now am paying $14.99 instead of the regular $24.99 I have been paying...woohooo...!!!!

==========

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
I have also heard you cannot call 911 on Vonage either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2008, 08:52 AM

Location: Lived Large in Parsippany NJ - Lived Larger in Livingston, NJ -- Now Living Huge in Bethlehem PA
466 posts, read 2,199,838 times
I almost switched to Skyrocket but when I looked at their International calling rates I was like forget it - I call Canada, England, Germany and Holland a lot so the rates do matter to me plus Vonage offers FREE calls to many European countries.

If you look closely Vonage has never declared any profits but revenues are still strong....they might have a few lawsuits here and there - because traditional phone companies are trying to shut them down....even the cable and highspeed companies cannot beat what Vonage has to offer and I can tell you right now that I still shop around once or twice a month to see whats better than Vonage out there but I still have not found any better provider yet.

Vonage had a special offer for Skyrocket customers when they fell out and it was nice of them plus with Vonage you dont need a contract.

My Vonage plan is $24.99 (but paying $14.99 due to a special promotion) a month unlimited calls with over 25 FREE features included at no extra cost....cant go wrong with that..!!!

===============

Quote:
Originally Posted by macroy View Post
There has been some concerns over VoIP only services. Most of vonage's "pure" competitors have since faltered. I actually experienced the downfall of sunrocket... basically lost about $60 after they went belly up with 6 months left on my contract. Vonage settled its patent infringement lawsuit with Sprint.. but I believe its suit with Verizon is still being decided. Many feel that the company can be in some financial trouble if that suit does not go their way.

I personally have voicewing from verizon... I pay $20 a month for LIMITED minutes...like 500 or something.. but I rarely use more than 100...so its worth it for me. The quality is fine (running FiOS), and there are tools to blacklist sales calls (there are also opensource software to you can use to block the automated switches - those sales call that are performed by a computer, and is only switched to the sales person after you pick up).

To me, VoIP is a commodity, I want something that is going to last...especially after losing out with Sunrocket. I know service is also a key issue (something verizon isn't exactly known for), but I've yet to have to use it.

Old 02-05-2008, 11:40 AM

5,660 posts, read 26,997,063 times
A little over 3 years with Vonage. No problems so far.

Old 02-05-2008, 11:42 AM

9 posts, read 36,897 times
I was pleased with Vonage. The service is good and inexpensive. You can pay online, view your phone calls on line as well. Internet was good as well. Had internet with BellSouth and was not satisfied. Had internet with Charter as well it was good but more expensive than I like.

Old 02-05-2008, 11:48 AM

170 posts, read 477,202 times
This may be false, but a buddy of mine told me that when you talk on the phone with Vonage, people sound like a robot. Can anyone confirm this?

Old 02-05-2008, 11:57 AM

4,564 posts, read 10,952,491 times
Our experience with Vonage was horrible. No one could ever hear the conversation. It got progressively worse. We tried everything they suggested and finally gave up. The worst part was getting them to release the phone numbers we had to Qwest. Took months. They were quick to take them but slow to give them up. My poor rep at Qwest! She was about to pull her hair out.
For us it was really unreliable, but that's just our experience. Sounds like I'm in the minority. One of the lines was our business line, and we just couldn't put up with the bad connection.

Old 02-05-2008, 12:05 PM

2,482 posts, read 8,731,518 times
Quote:
Nope. that's been taken care of now and you can call 911 now.

I have had Vonage for a long while now and it is perfectly fine. The only hang-up I've ever run into is when the power goes out but if you have a UPS (Surge Protector) with backup battery, you'll be just fine. Its really really a good deal...voicemail...caller ID...long distance...all for a low monthly fee of 20 bucks total. I mean really, you can't ask for more.

Old 02-05-2008, 12:06 PM

2,482 posts, read 8,731,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcoop View Post
Our experience with Vonage was horrible. No one could ever hear the conversation. It got progressively worse. We tried everything they suggested and finally gave up. The worst part was getting them to release the phone numbers we had to Qwest. Took months. They were quick to take them but slow to give them up. My poor rep at Qwest! She was about to pull her hair out.
For us it was really unreliable, but that's just our experience. Sounds like I'm in the minority. One of the lines was our business line, and we just couldn't put up with the bad connection.
Sounds like you had crappy internet connection.

Old 02-05-2008, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilthySailor View Post
This may be false, but a buddy of mine told me that when you talk on the phone with Vonage, people sound like a robot. Can anyone confirm this?
Voice quality will only be as good as your IP connection and Internet traffic in general which is beyond the control of Vonage or any other VoIP provider.

Old 02-05-2008, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Many states now require local telephone companies to provide 9-1-1 access to non-subscribers.

If you are not a local telephone subscriber, try plugging your phone into a wall outlet to see if you get a dial tone. A "soft" dial tone is audibly the same as a regular one, except that there is no actual service active on the line, and normal calls cannot be made. It is maintained only so that an attached phone can dial 9-1-1.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones