U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2008, 07:27 PM

151 posts, read 594,729 times

Advertisements

Hey Forum Friends - does anyone have any experience with Vonage for phone and internet service?

I am currently using AT&T and am slightly irritated with them. Considering a switch, please share your thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2008, 07:29 PM

21 posts, read 65,601 times
I'm thinking about changing to Vonage.
Some friends of ours have it and say it's great.

Old 02-02-2008, 09:30 PM

29 posts, read 102,397 times
We have it--it's been fine. I think you'll be pleased with it.

Old 02-02-2008, 10:02 PM

3,597 posts, read 10,908,146 times
I've had vonage for the last 4 years with no problems. Only thing to make sure of it that you have a cell phone in case your internet or electricity goes out. Lose either one and you lose your phone service too. Stay away from the Comcast phone service. Not sure but I think they sell your phone number to other companies. A friend signed with Comcast for her phone service and was recieving around 4 sales calls a day after starting service. Vonage does NOT sell your number to anyone. I hope that this helps

Old 02-03-2008, 02:39 PM

58 posts, read 246,197 times
Vonage provides VOIP phone not internet service. You need an internet provider with a good broadband (cable or AT&T elite) to work good. Otherwise it gets choopy

Old 02-04-2008, 12:00 AM

151 posts, read 594,729 times
Thanks for the feedback.

This is what I'm most concerned about - I have phone service primarily because of the internet. I need to be 110% certain that the internet service will be comparable to or better than what I have now (AT&T DSL Express) and that it is compatible with my VPN.

With that said, do you think that Vonage is still a good fit for me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmilleta View Post
Vonage provides VOIP phone not internet service. You need an internet provider with a good broadband (cable or AT&T elite) to work good. Otherwise it gets choopy

Old 02-04-2008, 09:19 AM

58 posts, read 246,197 times
I had problems with DSL Express (Choppy). I had to upgrade to Elite and then it works fine. Before I had Comcast and worked fine. I just didnt like Comcast support.

Old 02-04-2008, 09:40 AM

Location: Lived Large in Parsippany NJ - Lived Larger in Livingston, NJ -- Now Living Huge in Bethlehem PA
460 posts, read 2,018,967 times
Default Woohooo Woohooo hooo...!!!

In order to have Vonage work great - you need to use a cable or FIOS kind of internet connection and NOT DSL. I have been using Vonage for over three years now and never had a problem I love it so much I even have the whole house wired for Vonage - any phone jack in the house is live so I dont have to just stick with leaving the phone in one spot or having to see wires dangling all over the walls and all I pay is $25 a month plus my cable service of $35 a month.

PS. you can also get two months of FREE vonage service if you let someone already using Vonage send you an invite.

Hope this helps..!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericka709 View Post
Thanks for the feedback.

This is what I'm most concerned about - I have phone service primarily because of the internet. I need to be 110% certain that the internet service will be comparable to or better than what I have now (AT&T DSL Express) and that it is compatible with my VPN.

With that said, do you think that Vonage is still a good fit for me?

Old 02-04-2008, 10:09 AM

4,715 posts, read 8,286,895 times
There has been some concerns over VoIP only services. Most of vonage's "pure" competitors have since faltered. I actually experienced the downfall of sunrocket... basically lost about $60 after they went belly up with 6 months left on my contract. Vonage settled its patent infringement lawsuit with Sprint.. but I believe its suit with Verizon is still being decided. Many feel that the company can be in some financial trouble if that suit does not go their way.

I personally have voicewing from verizon... I pay $20 a month for LIMITED minutes...like 500 or something.. but I rarely use more than 100...so its worth it for me. The quality is fine (running FiOS), and there are tools to blacklist sales calls (there are also opensource software to you can use to block the automated switches - those sales call that are performed by a computer, and is only switched to the sales person after you pick up).

To me, VoIP is a commodity, I want something that is going to last...especially after losing out with Sunrocket. I know service is also a key issue (something verizon isn't exactly known for), but I've yet to have to use it.

Old 02-04-2008, 07:38 PM

16,248 posts, read 21,708,509 times
I have also heard you cannot call 911 on Vonage either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones