Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2015, 06:46 PM

5,333 posts, read 8,545,426 times

Advertisements

I just got my first Android phone and am having fun trying to figure it out after only using an Iphone for many years.

Maybe the Iphone does this too, but its been a long time since I put a new app on my old Iphone, so I can't remember.

I can understand apps needing your location, but the one thing that I am seeing on many apps is "allows the app to determine the phone number and device IDs, whether a call is active, and the remote number connected by a call" (and these are apps that aren't in any way related to phone calls).

- that sounds like they are tracking my actual calls and who I call from my phone. Obviously not recording my calls, but "determining whether a call is active" - I am not sure exactly how to interpret that.

Can anyone explain this to me? Should I reject apps that request this?

TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2015, 06:53 PM

61,713 posts, read 87,123,005 times
Android permissions explained:

DEVICE ID & CALL INFORMATION (allows the app to determine the phone number and device IDs, whether a call is active, and the remote number connected by a call)
Required to enable the incoming call full-screen picture feature.

https://contacts.zendesk.com/entries...ions-Explained

More detailed info here:
http://androidforums.com/threads/and...malware.36936/

Old 12-09-2015, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Android permissions explained:

DEVICE ID & CALL INFORMATION (allows the app to determine the phone number and device IDs, whether a call is active, and the remote number connected by a call)
Required to enable the incoming call full-screen picture feature.

https://contacts.zendesk.com/entries...ions-Explained

More detailed info here:
Android permissions explained, security tips, and avoiding malware | Android Forums
Thanks - for the line I bolded above, does that mean that by giving the app that permission, it means that an incoming call can come in while the app is running?

Old 12-10-2015, 07:35 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,698,509 times
That's a very basic explanation.

One of the big reasons these apps need to know when you are on a call is to prevent the app from closing if your phone rings. So when you get off the call you can bounce right back to where you were. This is pretty standard and safe.

Device ID is a way to identify your device if you ever need to reinstall. This is also in apps with ads so they can send you ads. This CAN be a borderline sketchy permission to ask for but not always. Ads aren't always bad. People should get paid to bring you 'free' apps.

Remote Number connected by a call? Hmmm. THAT one sounds VERY sketchy to me unless the app is something like a video calling app that connects two phones. If it's not, or something similar, I would not install that.

Apple has permissions, too, they just don't jump out at you when you install like Android does.

Old 12-10-2015, 11:34 AM

6,639 posts, read 4,574,786 times
my favorites are things like mixzing music player needs to know your location ?

also i hate that other people with smart fones are sending facebock, twister, goggle plush, linkedun, ... my fone-number, address, birthdate, ... information (you have to allow those apps permission to read your contct list in order to use them).

Old 12-10-2015, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
That's a very basic explanation.

One of the big reasons these apps need to know when you are on a call is to prevent the app from closing if your phone rings. So when you get off the call you can bounce right back to where you were. This is pretty standard and safe.

Device ID is a way to identify your device if you ever need to reinstall. This is also in apps with ads so they can send you ads. This CAN be a borderline sketchy permission to ask for but not always. Ads aren't always bad. People should get paid to bring you 'free' apps.

Remote Number connected by a call? Hmmm. THAT one sounds VERY sketchy to me unless the app is something like a video calling app that connects two phones. If it's not, or something similar, I would not install that.

Apple has permissions, too, they just don't jump out at you when you install like Android does.
Thanks.

So far, every app that has wanted the Device ID has also wanted the remote number. Its like they are combined into one item on the list, not separate.

So, as an example, the app called Grocery IQ - a shopping list type app - is one that has this listed.

If I reject all apps that have that included, there are a lot of apps I won't be able to use.

Old 12-10-2015, 01:52 PM

I will look deeper into this...

Old 12-10-2015, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
I will look deeper into this...
Thanks-

here is another app that requests this- Migraine Buddy Is Now FREE! - Migraine Buddy

The apps I've looked at so far that request this info do not seem sketchy- they all have fairly high ratings and many users. I think Grocery IQ has over 1 million downloads.

Old 12-11-2015, 07:49 AM

Yea, I've found that on one of mine that too.

It seems that Device_ID and that Remote Number are tied together. You won't see one without the other.
Turns out, yes, ads are the #1 reason. I noticed that to a fault every app that I paid for (ex: PowerAmp Pro and Alarm Clock Pro) OR was free and does not have ads (Library app, NewsOn, Spotify) did not have this permission.

The #2 reason: from what I was able to find last night, on old Android, an app needed a permission so that the OS could pass the number to you of an incoming call while you're in the app. Modern Android handles this itself (through the dialer) and these permissions are not needed. So if the app doesn't have that it will not work on old versions of ANdroid.

Old 12-11-2015, 10:53 AM

Thanks so much for looking this up.

My phone has version 4.4.2 - I don't know if that is old or new....

I am not downloading a ton of apps... my plan will be if they having high ratings (such as "editor's pick" or something like that), I will go ahead and use them and not be paranoid.

Thanks again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones