Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2016, 12:43 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,987,571 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
So you wouldn't be able to use Navigation on your phone? Sorry, but that's pure and utter BS. Technically not even a Garmin unit because it's not part of the car? Even though I have a dash mounted dock...which still shouldn't matter.
Well, as one of my flight instructors said decades ago, don't get lost in everything else but do your first job, FLY THE PLANE.

Pilots would lose it because, especially in emergency landings, they would get so caught up in trying to find a place to land, calling on the radio for help, trying to restart the engine, etc, that they would forget that they have to fly the plane, first.

So-o, why are is the driver navigating when they should be driving the car ESPECIALLY since driving the car is many times as often occurring at a level of complexity of an emergency landing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2016, 01:57 PM

16,548 posts, read 19,698,509 times
I'm not sure why you singled my post out. From the way the post I replied to was written it sounded like "you cannot use ANY device that is not a part of the car".
I'm not talking about punching in coordinates while driving.
I was just talking about using the GPS on your phone. I can fly the plane and listen to a voice say
"Turn Left on DeTroit Road"

Old 01-25-2016, 02:27 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,682,890 times
Anyone who has Apple Car can just plug their phone into the car radio. Anything you do will be done on something that is "attached to the vehicle."

Old 01-25-2016, 02:38 PM

3,062 posts, read 7,034,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
In a short time in one of my communities, it will be against the law to use one's cell phone while driving.

Since it seems that a lot of the smart phone users have given up using wrist watches, will this start a return to having such devices around?

Asked by a smart phone non user.
You have a smartphone but you don't use it? Also who is going to inforce this new law? And no, anti smartphone laws aren't going to cause people to start buying smart wrist watches. They're going to do that anyway.

Old 01-25-2016, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles22 View Post
You have a smartphone but you don't use it? Also who is going to inforce this new law? And no, anti smartphone laws aren't going to cause people to start buying smart wrist watches. They're going to do that anyway.
No, I don't have a smart phone at all. Further, while a smart phone has been under one research project or another over time, if I did have one while still having my Razor, it would spend most of its time in drawer unless it was being used on its few dedicated missions (Craigs list hunting and checking gun serial numbers). The simple fact is I don't want to become a zombie.

The cops, the deputies, the state police will enforce.

Admittedly, my impressions were a little bit dated. Looking into this a little bit more, while the impression that wrist watches were on the way out existed at one time, say in 2010,
The Ten Businesses The Smartphone Has Destroyed - 24/7 Wall St.
has rather reversed.

Old 01-26-2016, 07:32 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,698,509 times
You're impressions are A LOT dated. I do not understand how someone can be so judgmental about something they haven't even tried.
"Dedicated missions" lol
You would not keep your PHONE in a drawer.

Old 01-26-2016, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
You're impressions are A LOT dated. I do not understand how someone can be so judgmental about something they haven't even tried.
"Dedicated missions" lol
You would not keep your PHONE in a drawer.
That's rather the point, I don't keep my phone in the drawer, my phone goes where I go. The need and want of a mobile computer, however, has not been that great even though the ease of getting one is there. Basically, I'm just not interested in such.

There are two phone lines on my account, one of them a left over when I added a line for Mom many years ago. At first it was a line she could use, then it was a cell phone that her care staff could use, take with them if they had to bail out of the house, if Mom was taken to the hospital. When Mom passed on, the line just stayed on the account. Hence, it has been sitting there, waiting.

Every so often, I go into the store to research about upgrading that line to a smart phone, could it be used to actively hunt down free offers on Craigs List, could it be used to check out the serial numbers when shopping at gun shows. Those are about the only two uses I can see for a smart phone in my life but the thing is, I don't do those that often anymore. Hence, I use the Razor for what it is, a phone.

Admittedly, my impressions are dated. I saw that notation about watches and smart phones and took it to heart. Perhaps it is still true, smart watches aside, around the population I hang out with; they aren't the kind to wear watches for style. I certainly don't; pick up an Ironman every year or so, when its battery runs down, when the chlorine has eaten through the stitching of the wrist band.

As to "haven't even tried" perhaps so but on the other hand, I've seen a lot, similar to the affairs of

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OINa46HeWg8
such as a reunion with my brothers where they are showing each other their places on their phones instead of conversation......or the time the younger one was driving me to the doctor with the phone in one hand to his ear and his other hand talking his conversation. Seen wrecks in progress, causes unknown, along the road where people are stopped and are recording it on their phones. At work, receiving messages of those late, minute by minute, as they are walking up the hill. We had some muggings around here and I suspect, of course I could be wrong, but I suspect that the muggers where able to get so close because the victim was walking with their face in the phone instead of being aware of their surroundings.

It's not the game I play, A and B. A: I play submarine games where "I come to the surface, put the masts up, listen, answer, transmit. Then pull the masts down, submerge, and go off and do other things.". I am not tied into mobile electronics every waking minute. B: I come from the era of command driven computing instead of menu driven computing. This may be telling of why I am so much against smart phones. I want to tell the computer what it will do, not have the computer tell me what it can do.

Old 01-30-2016, 11:08 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,562,480 times
Quote:
This is what they said:

"...Dialing, hanging up, or engaging in a telephone conversation; · Viewing, taking, or transmitting electronic images;
· Using email;
· Using GPS or other navigation applications;
· Browsing the Internet;
· Playing games;
· Typing, reading, or sending text messages

Making telephone calls using hands-free functions such as Bluetooth, earphones, or other hands-free methods to communicate is allowed, as is using GPS and navigation devices that are attached to the vehicle....."
I suppose that looking at a notification on a watch could be interpreted as "reading text messages". But you would only be reading a few words.

It helps to know who is calling to determine if it is worth pulling over, or just waiting until you reach your destination.

Old 01-30-2016, 11:17 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
I have worn a watch every day since I was about 7 years old and will continue to wear one. My cell phone sits behind me plugged in at home and in my bag or pocket while I am in the vehicle and I have a headset I use if I even answer the call while I am driving.

Old 01-30-2016, 11:27 PM

1,156 posts, read 941,209 times
Quote:
In a short time in one of my communities, it will be against the law to use one's cell phone while driving. Only hands free and those units permanently mounted to the car will be legal, but anything else being held in the hand stands to be reason for one to be pulled over.

Since it seems that a lot of the smart phone users have given up using wrist watches, will this start a return to having such devices around?

Asked by a smart phone non user.
No. Pretty much all cars have a clock easily visible anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones