Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you use more than one smart phone?
Yes 15 50.00%
No 15 50.00%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2016, 07:05 AM

6,512 posts, read 7,548,631 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
I have 8.
But why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2016, 06:48 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,909,005 times
I have two that I actually use as phones. I bought a cheap android because I wanted to experience a large (5.5") screen and the android operating system. My primary phone is an iphone

Old 02-11-2016, 08:58 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,532,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emcee squared View Post
But why?
I have four newer ones and a handful of older backups. I like technology and testing new phones out. Some people spend money on fancy cars, video games etc or other hobbies. Phones are my hobby!

Old 02-12-2016, 06:48 AM

6,512 posts, read 7,548,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
I have four newer ones and a handful of older backups. I like technology and testing new phones out. Some people spend money on fancy cars, video games etc or other hobbies. Phones are my hobby!
Nothing wrong with that. Technology is the future; you might as well embrace it.

Old 02-12-2016, 08:27 AM

16 posts, read 21,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skugelstadt View Post
I have two that I actually use as phones. I bought a cheap android because I wanted to experience a large (5.5") screen and the android operating system. My primary phone is an iphone
I am also considering doing the same thing. What were your experiences? Were you happy you did it? What Android phone did you get/what carrier are you using with it? If you had to do it again would you?

Old 02-12-2016, 03:37 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,557,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forum_Newbie View Post
Just curious...do you use more than one smart phone?

I have an IPhone 4 with my personal number I have had for more than 10 years and an IPhone 5S (I think) provided by my current employer. Just curious about others.

TIA - Julie
I think people who use Google Voice naturally go to multiple phones. Since you are not concerned with giving all those phone numbers out, you collect some cheap smartphones so that you have spares for your car, or just simple backup phones,

For instance I have Page Plus cell phone plans to be on the Verizon Network. I also have a "VIP Pepper" pln on RingPlus using the Sprint network. This plan gives me 250 Minutes 280 MB, and 500 Texts for free.

I usually try to answer on Google Voice directly when I am near wifi, then Page Plus until I run out of minutes, hen RingPlus. Sometimes I alternate between Page Plus and Ring Plus depending if the phone is out of juice.

Old 02-14-2016, 08:31 AM

1,110 posts, read 1,909,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpiszcz View Post
I am also considering doing the same thing. What were your experiences? Were you happy you did it? What Android phone did you get/what carrier are you using with it? If you had to do it again would you?
I wanted a budget big phone that still fits in my pocket. I bought a Blu Studio X Plus. It is a lower end phone, but does the job. My biggest complaint is battery life. On standby mode it lasts at least a few weeks, but once you start using it for calls or data, the battery drains pretty fast. The battery consumption rate would require me to recharge at least once during the day if it were my only phone (I listen to a lot of podcasts). I love the big screen for navigation (Waze) and watching videos. Sound quality is not the greatest but in all fairness, it is a budget phone. I use the Pure Talk senior plan (no data, phone service only). I am more comfortable with the Iphone operating system since I am more familiar with it, but I could use the Android as well. The big advantage the Android system has, is phone choices with a broad spectrum of prices. There is no cheap Iphone. I'm kind of curious about Windows phones and they are not expensive. My big concern is that they may not survive (long term) as an operating system since they don't seem really popular.

Old 02-14-2016, 11:38 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,138,516 times
I currently have 6 phones. 2 iPhones, 3 Androids, and 1 Windows Phone.

Old 02-16-2016, 05:13 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,275,960 times
I technically have 0. I have a BlackBerry Bold for free. Does work email, phone calls, and texts (and the texting is way superior to my girlfriend's iPhone 5).

Girlfriend has the iPhone 5.

I have a Kindle 7 HD.

I am mulling pre-ordering the Samsung S7 on Feb. 21st. I wouldn't use it as a "phone," however. I wouldn't even get a voice program with it. I would be buying it to use the Gear VR with it. WiFi only. By the way, anyone who pre-orders the S7 gets the Gear VR for free. I'm interested in seeing if they'll actually be including inside-out positional tracking out of the box, or if it will come later as a firmware update, or if it will have to wait until the S8. Just today they demonstrated positional tracking working on an S6 Gear VR, which is huge (see bottom of post). Also would get Puck and Gear 360 with it.

So anyway, even if I get the S7, I'll still technically have zero "smartphones" even though I have the BB and Kindle, GF has the iPhone, and I'll have the S7.

Univrses Shows off Positional Tracking on GearVR using only the phone's camera

Old 02-16-2016, 05:30 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,532,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepenthe View Post
I technically have 0. I have a BlackBerry Bold for free. Does work email, phone calls, and texts (and the texting is way superior to my girlfriend's iPhone 5).

Girlfriend has the iPhone 5.

I have a Kindle 7 HD.

I am mulling pre-ordering the Samsung S7 on Feb. 21st. I wouldn't use it as a "phone," however. I wouldn't even get a voice program with it. I would be buying it to use the Gear VR with it. WiFi only. By the way, anyone who pre-orders the S7 gets the Gear VR for free. I'm interested in seeing if they'll actually be including inside-out positional tracking out of the box, or if it will come later as a firmware update, or if it will have to wait until the S8. Just today they demonstrated positional tracking working on an S6 Gear VR, which is huge (see bottom of post). Also would get Puck and Gear 360 with it.

So anyway, even if I get the S7, I'll still technically have zero "smartphones" even though I have the BB and Kindle, GF has the iPhone, and I'll have the S7.

Univrses Shows off Positional Tracking on GearVR using only the phone's camera

A couch is still a couch even if you don't intend to sit on it and or got it for free.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones