Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2016, 06:25 PM

208 posts, read 420,487 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am not sure if I am posting this in the right forum, but here it goes....

I somehow put my phone on top of my visor in my car. This is a place I have never placed my phone before. I am not sure how I ended doing that. I parked my car and went to work. When I got to work, I couldn't find my phone. I retraced my step back to my car, and I couldn't find the phone. I called it from my work phone, and of course I couldn't find it since I was at my desk. I attempted to use Android Device Manager to locate the phone, and the phone showed as "unavailable." I am not sure why, and since I had lost my phone at work about four months ago, I came to the conclusion that I must have left/dropped it somewhere between leaving my CAR and getting to my desk and someone found it. This person did not intend to return it, so he/she turned the phone off.

I filed a lost/stolen claim with Asurion, and the claim was approved. Asurion already shipped the phone. When I got off work and got to my CAR, I then noticed that my phone was on top of the visor. There is nothing wrong with the phone, and it is basically only less than four months old. I want to keep my phone. I have spent the past hour researching what happens when you find your lost phone that you already filed a claim for, and I did not really find my specific scenario. One thing is clear: the "lost" phone legally belongs to the insurance company and must be returned if/when found.

However, here's my concern: although I am getting an upgraded model (I have the Note 4, and I am getting the note 5), I don't really want the new phone since I have found my phone. However, I do not want Asurion to impose keeping my $200 bucks and having me return a perfectly good phone with no issues. I want to "reject" their new phone, since I have not received it, get a refund, and continue using my phone. However, based on what I have read so far, once a phone is reported as stolen, the ESN is deactivated and blacklisted (sometime, that is not really the case from what I have read), I may not be "able" or "allowed" to keep my phone and must keep the new one I have not received or used (by the way, it should already be activated when I do receive it). I really want to keep my phone.

I understand that Asurion would be the one who can address my concern, but I am wondering if anyone has been in my shoes. I am not talking about finding your phone after you've received the new one AND used it. I am talking about even before you receive the new phone... and when you do receive the new one, you do not use it.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2016, 06:39 PM

1,945 posts, read 7,341,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloupha View Post
Hello,

I am not sure if I am posting this in the right forum, but here it goes....

I somehow put my phone on top of my visor in my car. This is a place I have never placed my phone before. I am not sure how I ended doing that. I parked my car and went to work. When I got to work, I couldn't find my phone. I retraced my step back to my car, and I couldn't find the phone. I called it from my work phone, and of course I couldn't find it since I was at my desk. I attempted to use Android Device Manager to locate the phone, and the phone showed as "unavailable." I am not sure why, and since I had lost my phone at work about four months ago, I came to the conclusion that I must have left/dropped it somewhere between leaving my CAR and getting to my desk and someone found it. This person did not intend to return it, so he/she turned the phone off.

I filed a lost/stolen claim with Asurion, and the claim was approved. Asurion already shipped the phone. When I got off work and got to my CAR, I then noticed that my phone was on top of the visor. There is nothing wrong with the phone, and it is basically only less than four months old. I want to keep my phone. I have spent the past hour researching what happens when you find your lost phone that you already filed a claim for, and I did not really find my specific scenario. One thing is clear: the "lost" phone legally belongs to the insurance company and must be returned if/when found.

However, here's my concern: although I am getting an upgraded model (I have the Note 4, and I am getting the note 5), I don't really want the new phone since I have found my phone. However, I do not want Asurion to impose keeping my $200 bucks and having me return a perfectly good phone with no issues. I want to "reject" their new phone, since I have not received it, get a refund, and continue using my phone. However, based on what I have read so far, once a phone is reported as stolen, the ESN is deactivated and blacklisted (sometime, that is not really the case from what I have read), I may not be "able" or "allowed" to keep my phone and must keep the new one I have not received or used (by the way, it should already be activated when I do receive it). I really want to keep my phone.

I understand that Asurion would be the one who can address my concern, but I am wondering if anyone has been in my shoes. I am not talking about finding your phone after you've received the new one AND used it. I am talking about even before you receive the new phone... and when you do receive the new one, you do not use it.

Thoughts?
Have you tried contacting your carrier vs. the ins co? They may be able to give you some type of info.

Old 03-03-2016, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhousegirl View Post
Have you tried contacting your carrier vs. the ins co? They may be able to give you some type of info.
It appears that I was concerned for no reason. I called the ins co, and I was told all I needed to do is refuse the package when it gets to me, and I should be fine. I tried making calls, and I wasn't able to. So, I called Sprint and I was able to take care of that without speaking to anybody.

Old 03-03-2016, 06:57 PM

4,541 posts, read 1,150,425 times
Glad that worked out for you!

Old 03-03-2016, 07:03 PM

Thanks - I am going to call several time and talk to different agents just to be sure... I know how customer service can be.

Old 03-03-2016, 07:41 PM

6,391 posts, read 10,181,986 times
Glad you got the issue resolved.

Keep in mind that if you had gotten the replacement phone and found you missing phone later, the old phone would have been blacklisted. You would have been responsible to send the "lost" phone back to Assurion. In addition, the deductible would not be refunded under any circumstance. Just trying to offer advice to anyone who might followup with this thread later on.

Old 03-03-2016, 07:53 PM

1,945 posts, read 7,341,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloupha View Post
Thanks - I am going to call several time and talk to different agents just to be sure... I know how customer service can be.
Good idea. Glad its all fixed .

Old 03-03-2016, 08:00 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,465,878 times
Ha, Ha!

So it's not just me,age 66. As they say forgetting where you leave you left your phone is normal. Not remembering what your phone is for is a sign of dementia.

Old 03-03-2016, 10:11 PM

6,639 posts, read 4,517,159 times
i use androidlost.com to find my lost devices.

Old 03-04-2016, 08:25 AM

16,446 posts, read 19,462,446 times
If Android Device Manager wouldn't work, androidlost.com certainly wouldn't either. The phone must have been off or not on the cell network.
Android Device Manager is all anyone needs. It's free and doesn't require an app to be installed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones