U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2016, 11:30 AM

20,741 posts, read 19,694,403 times

Advertisements

Did I ever make a mistake! I bought a Nokia Lumina 920 smartphone recently. Now I have found out that it can never be upgraded to Win10. Staples, where I bought it, can't figure out how to work it and have told me it's a complicated phone.

This is my first smart phone and I did the research, wanted a good camera in it and couldn't afford the expensive prices of most phones.

I can't seem to choose ring tones except for the seven that they let you choose--that all sound mostly alike.
I have downloaded some good ring tones but can't seem to be able to use them on the phone.

But one problem that MAY be able to be fixed is that ALL my facebook messages from over the years have gone into my gmail. There are thousands of messages. And you cannot delete them all at once even though the instructions say that you can. I have to place a check mark on them and delete, scroll down and place more check marks, delete, etc.

MAYBE (does anyone know?) it's because I somehow set the gmail up with the FB password? All my current FB messages are still going into gmail.

This is partly rant and partly a question about how to stop FB messages from going into my gmail.

I'm frustrated with this phone.

Old 04-10-2016, 03:04 PM

2,963 posts, read 2,475,569 times
Rest assured that Nokia makes great phones & they're always reasonably priced for what you get. This is coming from an iPhone owner. Smartphones take awhile to get used to. If this is your first smartphone then give it a little while. If you are truly unhappy with it though, then see if you can still return the phone to Staples.

- Regarding being unable to upgrade to Windows 10. The 920 was released back in 2012. That's a long time in the smart phone world. This was even before windows 8.1. The downfall of purchasing an older phone is the eventual inability to update to the latest system. This goes with Android & Apple. Some phone networks do a better job of updating the Windows Phone (WP) but overall sadly the WP gets left behind by a lot of companies. Verizon is really bad, but AT&T does a better job the last I checked. I believe for WP the lack of updating is more on the phone companies end whereas with Apple it's on Apple's end.

- Regarding only having 7 ringtones. I'm looking at my wife's WP right now & I already counted 50 ringtones & stopped counting. Are you looking in the right spot? Go to Settings -> Ringtones+Sounds -> tap the box under Ringtone & take your pick

- Facebook messages going to email is from Facebooks end. Google says you can click "unsubscribe" on the bottom of the email of the message you received & then you'll stop getting emails about Facebook messages. Also try going into Facebook -> click the down triangle in the upper right hand corner next to the padlock -> settings -> notifications -> email -- and look at settings there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2016, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by everwinter View Post
Rest assured that Nokia makes great phones & they're always reasonably priced for what you get. This is coming from an iPhone owner. Smartphones take awhile to get used to. If this is your first smartphone then give it a little while. If you are truly unhappy with it though, then see if you can still return the phone to Staples.

- Regarding being unable to upgrade to Windows 10. The 920 was released back in 2012. That's a long time in the smart phone world. This was even before windows 8.1. The downfall of purchasing an older phone is the eventual inability to update to the latest system. This goes with Android & Apple. Some phone networks do a better job of updating the Windows Phone (WP) but overall sadly the WP gets left behind by a lot of companies. Verizon is really bad, but AT&T does a better job the last I checked. I believe for WP the lack of updating is more on the phone companies end whereas with Apple it's on Apple's end.

- Regarding only having 7 ringtones. I'm looking at my wife's WP right now & I already counted 50 ringtones & stopped counting. Are you looking in the right spot? Go to Settings -> Ringtones+Sounds -> tap the box under Ringtone & take your pick

- Facebook messages going to email is from Facebooks end. Google says you can click "unsubscribe" on the bottom of the email of the message you received & then you'll stop getting emails about Facebook messages. Also try going into Facebook -> click the down triangle in the upper right hand corner next to the padlock -> settings -> notifications -> email -- and look at settings there.
Thank you! I am so grateful for your advice. Even the people at Staples told me it's just a complicated phone and they don't know how to use it either. T-Mobile people couldn't figure it out either.

With your instructions I went into gmail and had 66 NEW messages which I had to delete one by one, as usual. But you are right--after each message there is a place to UNSUBSCRIBE so I did. I hope they stay unsubbed because this is overwhelming. I also think gmail must have imported all the FB messages I have ever received over the years, long before I had the phone. I'm only back as far as July 2015, I have thousands of FB messages.

Ringtones--I downloaded a bunch that I liked but the problem is that I can't figure out a way to assign them to a particular app. For instance, other people can get ca-ching when they sell something on ebay. I downloaded the ca-ching but have no way to assign it to ebay. Some people said that the ca-ching they use comes with the ebay app. Not with mine that I know of. It would be fun! And the 7 electronic sounding ringtones that are in the phone settings sound so much alike that they're useless.

I'd like a particular ringtone for an incoming phone call--again it seems that I can choose from the 7 but I can't add one of my choice from downloads. In other words, I cannot seem to assign a particular ringtone to anything, only the 7 ringtones that Nokia gives you.

I hate to keep quizzing you but is there a way to delete ALL the email messages at once? The instructions say, press the three lines at the bottom to get the individual messages with boxes beside them, then hit the three dots lower left, then hit ALL. Well, nothing happens when I do that and no one else knows what to do either. I must have thousands of FB messages in my gmail and I have to manually put a check mark in each box and delete, then scroll down to do maybe 10 more, check them off and delete. There's supposed to be a way to delete Every.Single.One. Any clues?

BTW, in the time I have been typing this, I haven't received even ONE new FB email in my gmail.
So it looks like your stroke of genius worked.

Old 04-10-2016, 05:35 PM

2,963 posts, read 2,475,569 times
Your easiest route to delete lots or all of your gmail emails is to login to gmail on a laptop or desktop computer. There will be a box to select in the upper left to check & then select all & delete. Deleting lots of messages will take awhile on a phone. Your gmail email account will synch across all your devices (phone, computer etc).

I'm confused why you're seeing these Facebook message emails now? Did you just login to a gmail account you haven't logged into for a long time? Or perhaps your facebook account uses an outlook account that you haven't logged into for awhile?

The "cha ching" sound from eBay when something sells is from ebays end. You'll probably have to go into Ebay setting & select something like - turn on alert sound when sale occurs.

Old 04-10-2016, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by everwinter View Post
Your easiest route to delete lots or all of your gmail emails is to login to gmail on a laptop or desktop computer. There will be a box to select in the upper left to check & then select all & delete. Deleting lots of messages will take awhile on a phone. Your gmail email account will synch across all your devices (phone, computer etc).

I'm confused why you're seeing these Facebook message emails now? Did you just login to a gmail account you haven't logged into for a long time? Or perhaps your facebook account uses an outlook account that you haven't logged into for awhile?

The "cha ching" sound from eBay when something sells is from ebays end. You'll probably have to go into Ebay setting & select something like - turn on alert sound when sale occurs.
Well, on my laptop I have 2 messages in gmail, yet I must have thousands of old messages in gmail on my phone. I keep them deleted from my laptop and I don't know why years' worth of old messages went into my phone. I don't think the gmail account syncs from my phone to my laptop because if I delete a message on my laptop, it's still on my phone and then I have to go and delete it from my phone. Maybe that has something to do with a Microsoft account? I don't know.

I thought the reason for the big ALL at the upper left of the phone screen was so that you could delete all. But it doesn't do anything.

Good thing=I still haven't received any emails on my phone since you told me to unsubscribe. The FB messages are all going into FB as they should.

Yeh, I keep going into the ebay settings and making sure Notifications are turned on but there aren't any to choose from and you can't import a specific ringtone. In the PHONE (not the ebay) settings I can go to ringtones and sounds>manage app sounds>ebay>but I can only choose Alert 1, Alert 2, Alert 3, ...4, 5, 6, 7.
Then there's a place for Nokia settings like Nokia calendar, N. clock, Nokia email, Nokia message. So it doesn't look like I can apply any other ringtones or sounds of any kind other than theses Alerts. I'd love to have something nicer than the electronic beeping sounds of 7 choices. It seems that it's not possible.

Thanks so much though. It's such a relief just to have stopped those FB messages from going into gmail on my phone. It may take YEARS to delete the ones from around five years--there are thousands and I have to do them a few at a time. Why do they have ALL in the upper corner? And in the instructions it says you can delete all. It doesn't seem to do anything.

Old 04-10-2016, 07:54 PM

2,808 posts, read 2,522,473 times
See if there is a Nokia store in your area, if there is, then they will know how to work the phone and if not then maybe join a Nokia forum to see if they can help, or if someone can recommend a place to go, here is one. Nokia Users

For ringtones maybe try to download Zedge if it is available to you. Hope you get it all worked out, I prefer android but considered buying one of those in the past...The advice of take your time is good advice, when I first got an android I wanted to toss it in the garbage, my younger wife was able to figure it all out, maybe ask your children or grandchildren, it amazes me how the younger generation can work all these gadgets with ease...

Old 04-10-2016, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Lee View Post
See if there is a Nokia store in your area, if there is, then they will know how to work the phone and if not then maybe join a Nokia forum to see if they can help, or if someone can recommend a place to go, here is one. Nokia Users

For ringtones maybe try to download Zedge if it is available to you. Hope you get it all worked out, I prefer android but considered buying one of those in the past...The advice of take your time is good advice, when I first got an android I wanted to toss it in the garbage, my younger wife was able to figure it all out, maybe ask your children or grandchildren, it amazes me how the younger generation can work all these gadgets with ease...
Thanks. I don't know if there's a Nokia store around here but I'll look. I'm going to that Nokia forum RIGHT NOW.

Old 04-10-2016, 09:24 PM

No Nokia store but I'm going to go to T-Mobile again and see if they can help. Staples, where I bought it, won't/can't help with it.

The Nokia forum for Lumina 920 hasn't been active for a few years so that's not a such a good option. But maybe the T-Mobile people can help me. I still think I should be able to somehow connect the ringtones that I downloaded with the apps I want to use them with. There must be a way. Slowly but surely. And it helps to know that other people have wanted to throw their smart phones in the trash. Unfortunately for me, my savvy smartphone step son is British and lives across the ocean.

Old 04-10-2016, 10:15 PM

2,808 posts, read 2,522,473 times
You might also try watching the youtubes on it, possibly you can gain some knowledge from them how to do what you wish to do.
https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...kia+Lumina+920

Old 04-12-2016, 04:03 PM

Oh well, thanks anyway. I'm taking a break from the phone except for using it as a camera or an actual phone. I did mange to transfer my phone pictures onto my laptop somehow yesterday!

There seems to be no way to customize ringtones on this phone. The tutorials all show a "customize" button but this phone doesn't have it. Just 7 Alerts. I guess I'll just learn to live with that. Unless someone at T-Mobile can find a way to do it, I'll do without. Not a big deal.

I found a way to get apps other than the stupid "store" on the phone--just look them up on the laptop and then do a search on the phone. You need the laptop so you can know what's available in the first place unless you just want to scroll endlessly through silly cartoon game apps and such.

Just not having all facebook messages going into my phone's gmail is a treat though. whew.
I never saw that option to unsubscribe before.

Many more thanks for all the help. I know I'll get used to this phone but it will take time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or