Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2016, 12:10 PM

3,502 posts, read 6,466,651 times

Advertisements

Just bought a new phone and there are three builtin buttons: Back, Home and Recent (a square). Do you use Recent very often? I rarely do.

Do all current Android phones have the same three builtin buttons?

My previous phone was from 2012 and it had Back, Home, Menu and Search. Menu was good and I used it all the time - you could press Menu and then reach Settings, and you could use it while running apps. One place where it helped was with the camera. Now that there's no Menu button, if I'm using the camera, I have to swipe right to see the options. Maybe the Android designers wanted to be more like Apple, which only ever has one hard button.

Sometimes the Back button turns into a Down arrow when using the keyboard, so you can hide the keyboard.

I used to use the Search button often, but they thought it's so easy to go to Google and/or use the URL bar to type a search item, so they got rid of it, but I used it.

I could also press and hold the Back button to see the browser history, but not now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2016, 12:31 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,008,209 times
Quote:
Now that there's no Menu button,
For the last few versions of Android, the Menu button, if it is needed, is supposed to be built-in to an app as a "hamburger" button.

This button usually appears in one of the upper corners while the app is running.

Old 04-23-2016, 03:08 PM

3,307 posts, read 9,353,566 times
For search you can just hold down the home button (the circle).

Old 04-24-2016, 04:00 PM

Actually, the menu button for a lot of apps is three dots, like in the stock browser.

Old 04-24-2016, 05:47 PM

3,550 posts, read 2,515,758 times
I use the recent apps button all the time, to close up unneeded apps I have opened. It seems to sometimes help my low end phone.

Old 04-25-2016, 07:37 AM

16,484 posts, read 19,535,442 times
Yes, they all have the same three. Some (like Samsung) use a hard button and Recent and Back are swapped, but it's the same 3.
I always use RECENT to switch between apps.
I don't need a camera button. I have a Motorola. I just twist the phone twice and the camera opens.
Going to settings? Drag 2 fingers from the top of the screen. Press the Gear icon on Moto phones and many others.
I don't think SWIPE RIGHT is a bad thing for camera options.

Don't like change, do ya' Robert.

Old 04-25-2016, 12:43 PM

I wasn't talking about starting the camera. I meant reaching the camera options while you're using the camera.

I would also suggest placing the (big) Settings icon along with the other app icons, by default.

Old 04-26-2016, 07:39 AM

16,484 posts, read 19,535,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpasa View Post
I wasn't talking about starting the camera. I meant reaching the camera options while you're using the camera.
Yea, I know, I mentioned that. "I don't think SWIPE RIGHT is a bad thing for camera options."
Do you have the shake to wake the camera option on? That's cool, right?

Quote:
I would also suggest placing the (big) Settings icon along with the other app icons, by default.
It is the 'default' on most phones including yours. I was just mentioning a faster way.

Is there anything you like about your new phone???

Old 04-26-2016, 09:34 AM

5,921 posts, read 13,807,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpasa View Post
However the camera is turned on, either from locked screen or with some icon later, pic below is what I see.
Top left icon are the camera options on my phone.
Attached Thumbnails
Android - the builtin buttons-screenshot_2016-04-26-09-21-08_tn.jpg  

Old 04-26-2016, 01:20 PM

When I'm pointing the camera at things, the only buttons are Switch Lens and video/photo, and the three builtin buttons. Quite different from yours.

I have to tap on the image to take the photo now. My previous phone was an HTC Inspire and you had to hit the round shutter button.

The big Settings icon was not on my home page by default. I went to Apps and dragged it to my home page.

(It's a Moto E.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones