Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2016, 06:36 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,006,772 times

Advertisements

Ove the past two years I've used an iphone 5s. It's been a great, solid, all around phone. Really no complaints here. Previously I had an LG optimus G and enjoyed that phone pretty well too. I have the ability to upgrade now and I'm thinking I may move back to the android platform. I'm only worried I'll miss a couple of things, like iMessage, group texting, etc. To me, the iOS platform is solid, it's a safe choice. But the android platform just seems so much more exiciting... much more customization happening. Has any one move from one platform to the other lately? I'd like to hear some feedback from people about moving one direction or the other. I get the feeling that android has really caught up to iOS now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2016, 08:18 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,689,232 times
How about a totally neutral opinion? LOL

I support the phones in my office and I've had people go both ways. From iPhone to Android (3 people) and vice versa (4 people). To a person: not ONE person misses the platform they left.
I love people that aren't fanboys and have an open mind. There are some AMAZING Android phones out right now.
I say GO FOR IT.

Old 05-05-2016, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
How about a totally neutral opinion? LOL

I support the phones in my office and I've had people go both ways. From iPhone to Android (3 people) and vice versa (4 people). To a person: not ONE person misses the platform they left.
I love people that aren't fanboys and have an open mind. There are some AMAZING Android phones out right now.
I say GO FOR IT.
Neutral opinions are good too, lol. I've mostly been trying to weigh the cons of leaving iOS. I don't see too many as of now, but I want to make sure I don't switch and regret it a month later hah.

Old 05-05-2016, 10:58 AM

735 posts, read 654,631 times
You're interested in customization, so I'd say go for it. If you're looking for an unlocked phone, the Nexus line, Moto X, and some of the (surprisingly solid) Chinese phones are great. As for on-contract flagships, my choice would probably be the LG G5, but you should probably check out the different flagships to see which one is best for you.
Buying a phone off contract is often far cheaper in the long run BTW, because you spend much less on a monthly plan.

Old 05-05-2016, 11:47 AM

15,431 posts, read 25,807,497 times
You won't regret switching and you won't regret not switching. Both platforms do the job well. Take your pick and enjoy.

Old 05-05-2016, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeppelin171 View Post
You're interested in customization, so I'd say go for it. If you're looking for an unlocked phone, the Nexus line, Moto X, and some of the (surprisingly solid) Chinese phones are great. As for on-contract flagships, my choice would probably be the LG G5, but you should probably check out the different flagships to see which one is best for you.
Buying a phone off contract is often far cheaper in the long run BTW, because you spend much less on a monthly plan.
The G5 is currently my top choice. Followed by the S7 edge... which I really like but is a bit more expensive.

Old 05-05-2016, 07:54 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,570 posts, read 81,147,605 times
I'm about to go the other way. While I love my android, most family and friends are on I-phones and I am totally fed up with having to download text messages sent to me and someone else. That, and the way the battery on the Motorola will only last a year or 18 months, before it starts draining by noon. My wife can still go all day on her 4, so I think we'll both go for the 6.

Old 05-06-2016, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I'm about to go the other way. While I love my android, most family and friends are on I-phones and I am totally fed up with having to download text messages sent to me and someone else. That, and the way the battery on the Motorola will only last a year or 18 months, before it starts draining by noon. My wife can still go all day on her 4, so I think we'll both go for the 6.
Do you mean because they're using iMessage and you're not? And their messages are coming through as seperate messages when they're a group message? I thought Android had some group messaging capabilities now?

Old 05-06-2016, 12:48 PM

3,527 posts, read 6,527,342 times
Don't buy a Moto E 2nd Gen. Sucks.
I bought it because I needed a cheaper no-contract ATT phone and it was about $60 at the Best Buy. But I can't recommend it.

Old 05-07-2016, 02:03 AM

1,080 posts, read 1,192,073 times
i prefer android over ios. i think it's a richer os than ios. android is for people that love to tinker and ios is for people that just want there **** to work.. they both have there pro's and cons
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones