Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2016, 09:59 PM

5,237 posts, read 3,579,608 times

Advertisements

I have an iPhone 4 (GSM) that I had unlocked by AT&T USA, & they confirmed that. When I went to Ireland & put in the local telco sim card to have local service it wouldn't work. I went to 2 offices of that telco plus to an independent phone repair place & the conclusion seemed to be, guessed at, was that I also needed to do something thru my Itunes account at home also and I couldn't do this when out of my country, or at least separated from my computer..

I have been using the iPhone at home through Cricket, but I understand they use the AT&T infrastructure anyway.

Anyone else have this happen? Is it that I needed to erase & then restore the iPhone data to factory settings too before the unlock is final?

This was totally unexpected & a real pita for the trip & I'm returning soon & don't want it to happen again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2016, 05:12 AM

4,289 posts, read 3,995,654 times
If you have a contract by AT&T USA then they might sim locked your phone. In most cases that is how it work here in EU.

Old 05-23-2016, 05:36 AM

15,404 posts, read 25,690,300 times
An iPhone 4 is pretty old. It might not work well in many places a newer one will. I agree it needs to be unlocked.

Old 05-23-2016, 09:07 AM

5,237 posts, read 3,579,608 times
It was unlocked & that was confirmed by AT&T, that is my issue... why can't I use the new international sim card? I have been using a Cricket sim here in the US for a couple of years, left AT&T & the Cricket sim works but not the overseas one.

Old 05-23-2016, 11:43 AM

31,304 posts, read 32,796,183 times
I don’t know if your specific question is answered in this video however there is a lot of information being covered to help answer questions for others having a similar problem. The 1st link tells about Quad-Band – your phone may or may not be able to support different radio frequencies which could have been your problem.

First Link below:
Quad-Band definition (Phone Scoop)

Youtube video with other information:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DPSbLI3YAg

Old 06-16-2016, 10:01 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,567,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
I have an iPhone 4 (GSM) that I had unlocked by AT&T USA, & they confirmed that. When I went to Ireland & put in the local telco sim card to have local service it wouldn't work. I went to 2 offices of that telco plus to an independent phone repair place & the conclusion seemed to be, guessed at, was that I also needed to do something thru my Itunes account at home also and I couldn't do this when out of my country, or at least separated from my computer..

I have been using the iPhone at home through Cricket, but I understand they use the AT&T infrastructure anyway.

Anyone else have this happen? Is it that I needed to erase & then restore the iPhone data to factory settings too before the unlock is final?

This was totally unexpected & a real pita for the trip & I'm returning soon & don't want it to happen again.
Itunes has nothing to do with SIM card or phone location. It has to do with the device itself. In order for you to use another carrier in an unlocked device you need to change the APN settings of the phone.

APN settings must match the carrier setting. The Iphone may only have US carrier settings configured and you need to change it so it knows the new carrier's settings in order to activate on their network.

This is one reason I don't like iPhone it is locked down and painfully difficult to configure APN settings. The easiest way to change settings is to reset the iPhone to factory and then let it boot up with the SIM card and it will detect the carrier and apply the correct APN settings. If not, you need to punch up some numbers on the keypad to set the APN.

Next to going overseas get an Android unlocked device like a Nexus that you can use anywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones