Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2016, 12:29 PM

6,470 posts, read 10,332,410 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
I wonder why OnePlus has not obtained Fcc approval for Model #3? It seems like they got approval last year in 10 days after the announcement for Model #2.

MODEL: announced: FCC approval Date:FCC ID value:
OnePlus 2: 28 Jul 2015 : 07 Aug 2015 : 2ABZ2-A2005
OnePlus 3: 14 Jun 2016
Perhaps there are issues with the phone that the FCC will not put their rubber stamp on ??

Just because Model #2 was approved quickly is no guarantee that Model #3 will be approved immediately.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2016, 12:32 AM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
Perhaps there are issues with the phone that the FCC will not put their rubber stamp on ??

Just because Model #2 was approved quickly is no guarantee that Model #3 will be approved immediately.
The OnePlus 3 actually is FCC approved and has been since 5/27.

FCC ID is 2ABZ2-A3000

Old 08-29-2016, 07:42 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,672,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post

The OnePlus 3 has more RAM than any iPhone or Samsung on the market and looks amazing head to head against any phone you care to name. It also costs $399. It's also not sold by any US Carrier that I'm aware of.
No, it's not sold by any carrier. But it will run on AT&T, T-mobile and Sprint.

It's pretty simple, actually. One+ is willing to make less money in order to get in to the market.

Quote:
I figure that the manufacturers and the carriers are both holding US customers hostage with high prices,
Disagree. Because here's the thing. No one is forcing you to pay $650 for the LG V10. LG makes much cheaper phones for every pricepoint just about. As does Samsung. As does Motorola. As does every single manufacturer.

Quote:
locking people into contracts whenever possible
You mean those contracts that EVERY carrier, except Sprint, have abandoned???

Quote:
and keeping out manufacturers like Asus and OnePlus and Huawei that are selling great phones for way cheaper.
You mean phones made by those companies that DO run on ATT, T-Mobile and Sprint???
Just because you can't buy one in a store, Sprint, T-Mobile and AT&T will all happily and without hesitation, activate an Asus Zenfone for you.
Personally I think it's FANTASTIC that I can buy a Zenfone somewhere OTHER then the Sprint store and have Sprint activate it. Why does it matter to you that they won't sell them direct?

Old 08-29-2016, 08:11 AM

21,830 posts, read 25,102,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
Here's one of those bits of annoyance: Samsung Galaxy Note 7 vs OnePlus 3 - Phone specs comparison

The OnePlus 3 has more RAM than any iPhone or Samsung on the market and looks amazing head to head against any phone you care to name. It also costs $399. It's also not sold by any US Carrier that I'm aware of.

I figure that the manufacturers and the carriers are both holding US customers hostage with high prices, locking people into contracts whenever possible and keeping out manufacturers like Asus and OnePlus and Huawei that are selling great phones for way cheaper.
Well, not really amazing. It's good for the price and does have more RAM. The cameras on past OnePlus phones have been pretty mediocre, not sure about the OnePlus 3. The OnePlus3 is also the first to offer at least some of the more important hardware you'd expect on an old flagship phone two generations ago. There's NFC and somewhat quirky fast charging (although they offload it to the charger brick so you're limited to using a OnePlus charger this time around) but still no wireless charging. Display resolution is much lower than but at this point I think we're into the realm of stupidly high resolution on small screens for the purpose of stupidly high resolution. Battery life and heat > 4k displays, one of the reasons even Samsung didn't stick a 4k display in. You could say the same for RAM though, especially given the OnePlus 3's RAM management. To their credit, they patched that pretty quickly so it'll actually keep apps open in the background as it was pretty pointless having a bunch of RAM on a phone that suspended apps too quickly resulting in it being slower than any other comparable phone. They also now have sRGB mode for those that care about having some semblance of color accuracy instead of ridiculously oversaturated colors -- not that OnePlus is the only one doing this, just one of the most egregious.

What you get for $270 less than an S7 is pretty impressive though, and they've toned down the marketing. They're no longer trying to pass an obviously inferior phone the bean counters cut features on to keep the cost down as a "flagship killer" with no NFC, mediocre camera, no wireless charging, low screen resolution, no finger print reader, no quick charging, bland design like they did with the OnePlus 2. Really, how much are the extra features on a S7/S7 edge/Note 7 worth is the question. They certainly charge a pretty penny for them. You can get near flagship phones for much less from someone like OnePlus or the Moto X Pure, although that's really last generation. But then it is so they knocked another $100 off the price so as far as value propositions it's still a good one.

And then there's the biggest issue with OnePlus. Can you get it without waiting in a stupid lottery. They seem to have improved immensely there. You still can't get it in your grubby hands immediately, but at least it's not like with the OnePlus 1 and 2

Old 08-29-2016, 08:14 AM

8,629 posts, read 9,130,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Q: Why do new smartphones cost $600 - $800?

A: Because They Can
True. What is the cost of those same smart phones in India or China? My hunch is less than half the price.

Old 08-29-2016, 08:19 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,672,308 times
No, they are right around the same price. This isn't "lets just gouge the US consumers because we can". The difference is there's a huge amount of competition in China and India and way more phone options available.

Old 08-29-2016, 09:40 AM

1,618 posts, read 2,623,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Well, not really amazing. It's good for the price and does have more RAM. The cameras on past OnePlus phones have been pretty mediocre, not sure about the OnePlus 3. The OnePlus3 is also the first to offer at least some of the more important hardware you'd expect on an old flagship phone two generations ago. There's NFC and somewhat quirky fast charging (although they offload it to the charger brick so you're limited to using a OnePlus charger this time around) but still no wireless charging. Display resolution is much lower than but at this point I think we're into the realm of stupidly high resolution on small screens for the purpose of stupidly high resolution. Battery life and heat > 4k displays, one of the reasons even Samsung didn't stick a 4k display in. You could say the same for RAM though, especially given the OnePlus 3's RAM management. To their credit, they patched that pretty quickly so it'll actually keep apps open in the background as it was pretty pointless having a bunch of RAM on a phone that suspended apps too quickly resulting in it being slower than any other comparable phone. They also now have sRGB mode for those that care about having some semblance of color accuracy instead of ridiculously oversaturated colors -- not that OnePlus is the only one doing this, just one of the most egregious.

What you get for $270 less than an S7 is pretty impressive though, and they've toned down the marketing. They're no longer trying to pass an obviously inferior phone the bean counters cut features on to keep the cost down as a "flagship killer" with no NFC, mediocre camera, no wireless charging, low screen resolution, no finger print reader, no quick charging, bland design like they did with the OnePlus 2. Really, how much are the extra features on a S7/S7 edge/Note 7 worth is the question. They certainly charge a pretty penny for them. You can get near flagship phones for much less from someone like OnePlus or the Moto X Pure, although that's really last generation. But then it is so they knocked another $100 off the price so as far as value propositions it's still a good one.

And then there's the biggest issue with OnePlus. Can you get it without waiting in a stupid lottery. They seem to have improved immensely there. You still can't get it in your grubby hands immediately, but at least it's not like with the OnePlus 1 and 2
The OnePlus Three is available via normal distribution channels now, Amazon, NewEgg, etc. No invite system anymore. The nice thing is that there are other models that make different tradeoffs than the OnePlus Three...the OneTouch Idol 4s and ZTE Axon 7 are also available at the $400 price point, both offer stereo speakers and higher resolution..the Idol is less dev friendly but has that glass construction some people like. The Axon 7 is a metal phone with AMOLED, what some think the HTC 10 should have been in the first place.

Old 08-29-2016, 11:29 AM

15,945 posts, read 12,276,554 times
I bought my Nexus 6 for $300. I was awake on Black Friday and saw amazon listing them for $200. I should have bought a couple more... with this move towards making the screens smaller I'll keep my Nexus 6 for a few years... I'm only going 6 inch on my next phone or larger... 6.5 inches would be nice.. none of this 5.5 inch garbage.

Old 08-29-2016, 12:03 PM

42,838 posts, read 26,236,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
I bought my Nexus 6 for $300. I was awake on Black Friday and saw amazon listing them for $200. I should have bought a couple more... with this move towards making the screens smaller I'll keep my Nexus 6 for a few years... I'm only going 6 inch on my next phone or larger... 6.5 inches would be nice.. none of this 5.5 inch garbage.
Do you like it? I bought a Nexus 5x and absolutely hated it, it was the worst phone I ever owned, it overheated to the point where you couldn't touch it with your bare hands fortunately I bought it from Amazon and was able to return it

Old 08-29-2016, 12:33 PM

1,618 posts, read 2,623,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
I actually found my Nexus 6 a touch too large, I'm much more comfortable with a 5.5 inch screen. 5.2 inches is definitely too small though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones