Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2016, 09:11 PM

146 posts, read 120,961 times

Advertisements

prepaid sucks, the phones are crap, the signal strength is weak and if there are some towers in your area, the pre paid only is connected to about half of them. people think they are getting a deal, but there is a price, and its weak signal and stripped phones.

but what has been your experience with pre paid carriers \phones?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2016, 07:40 AM

23,589 posts, read 70,358,767 times
<shrug> Nobody gets consistent signal out here -prepaid or plans. Nearer town, everything works. Not sure about stripped phones, since I only use the features once in a blue moon. Google voice works fine on my tracphone, Chrome seems to work OK.

Old 09-12-2016, 08:15 AM

2,805 posts, read 3,252,433 times
I have prepaid AT&T and the wife has prepaid T-Mobile, both for many years now and we are very satisfied with both. I do not know who is feeding the op with that bs but as long as a person has a decent phone, that is at least quad band, thus can work on either carrier, then they get to use every tower that is available. Yes, if you use a cheap phone that only has 2 bands in it, then you may end up with bad results, thus don't be cheap, buy a decent phone and all will be good on prepaid AT&T or T-Mobile, I cannot speak for the other carriers.

Old 09-12-2016, 11:26 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,467,804 times
^^ The OP fails to recognize that for whatever reason he does not get the best reception, there is no difference in towers between the prepaid or postpaid. If it's T-Mobile or AT&T or whatever, it's the SAME towers whether it is prepaid or postpaid. Also, the type of phone and whether it has crappy reception is no fault of the plan or the company. If a certain carrier does not work well in your area or in your house get another carrier. It's as simple as that. I've been on prepaid for many years and very much prefer it to postpaid (if you can call it that). I am on auto-pay, no contract, NEVER get any surprises as far as the bill goes. I wouldn't have it any other way.

Old 09-15-2016, 10:03 PM

146 posts, read 120,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
^^ The OP fails to recognize that for whatever reason he does not get the best reception, there is no difference in towers between the prepaid or postpaid. If it's T-Mobile or AT&T or whatever, it's the SAME towers whether it is prepaid or postpaid. Also, the type of phone and whether it has crappy reception is no fault of the plan or the company. If a certain carrier does not work well in your area or in your house get another carrier. It's as simple as that. I've been on prepaid for many years and very much prefer it to postpaid (if you can call it that). I am on auto-pay, no contract, NEVER get any surprises as far as the bill goes. I wouldn't have it any other way.

NO, if there are 5 towers around you, the prepaid uses about 3-4 towers. also, when there is congestion\failures prepaid customers get lower priority when they are fixing the issue...

Old 09-16-2016, 01:41 AM

997 posts, read 936,291 times
Yes but I had Verizon for years. I had a family plan. Yes they have the best reception but my friend had a prepaid phone and his was just as good as mine for much cheaper.

I said "Hey, Your phone is just as good as mine" and I planned to switch when I got out of contract.

My kids wanted to keep their phones and their numbers. That was doable but it wasn't easy. That took patience but I was determined to get everything set up right. Now there are no problems.

There is one building that I can't get reception in that my Verizon phone would have. I think my phone uses ATandT towers and some phones use Verizon towers. It is good enough for me and so much cheaper.

I don't like limits. The plans that Verizon offered had limits. I don't use that much but that is not the point.

There is no hassle and it is cheap, it works and there are no limits.

Old 09-16-2016, 05:42 AM

2,805 posts, read 3,252,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkplugnw View Post
NO, if there are 5 towers around you, the prepaid uses about 3-4 towers. also, when there is congestion\failures prepaid customers get lower priority when they are fixing the issue...
Please provide proof instead of just your claims that it is so.

Old 09-16-2016, 05:48 AM

6,234 posts, read 8,436,891 times
Service doesn't change,no matter how you pay. Why do you think it does?

Old 09-16-2016, 07:31 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,672,308 times
Yea, that doesn't even make sense. From a technical standpoint, I would love to know how the towers or the data know you are on a prepaid plan

Old 09-16-2016, 09:10 AM

3,307 posts, read 9,377,607 times
The not-connecting-to-towers argument is only true if you're in a roaming area, where certain companies allow their postpaid accounts to roam but not their prepaid accounts. If you're in a native area, identical prepaid and postpaid phones will connect to the exact same towers.

The data argument has some basis in reality. Some brands do prioritize postpaid accounts. Others do not. As an example, TMobile prioritizes its postpaid and prepaid accounts over its prepaid MVNO accounts (such as MetroPCS, Family Mobile, etc.), but TMobile does not prioritize its postpaid accounts over its own prepaid accounts.

(Source: Company Information | T-Mobile&rsquo;s Broadband Internet Access Services)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones