U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2016, 11:11 AM

15,766 posts, read 23,708,418 times

Advertisements

I do.
It is my business line.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2016, 11:33 AM

3,549 posts, read 5,983,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
I do.
It is my business line.
Kept my business line as a VOIP line until a few years ago. Now I just run it as a virtual number and forward it to my cell.

Old 11-27-2016, 05:00 PM

250 posts, read 144,383 times
In September, 2013, I'd finally had enough of AT&T socking me with ever-increasing taxes, fees and surcharges, so I ported my landline number over to Vonage.

My landline number has been associated with my name and address for so many years, I wanted to keep it.

At first, I kept AT&T for stand-alone DSL internet after switching to Vonage phone service, but the first time I tried to have a Vonage phone conversation of any length, the DSL connection quickly dropped, so I switched to Cox cable internet, and everything was fine after that.

Old 11-27-2016, 05:30 PM

2,575 posts, read 1,557,195 times
We still have a land for several reasons. We have had the same number for 34+ years so that is the number that people use to contact us. Although we have several cell phones, the signal is poor at the house even though cell towers are on the mountain behind us. If I need to use the cell phone to make a long distance call (no LD on landline), I need to walk up our loooong driveway to get a better signal. I think landline is $15 a month plus taxes. And, yes, we get those annoying calls on it. But, we haven't given out our cell phone numbers to anyone but a few friends and several family members but still get crank calls plus texting. So, those must be robot calls. And, you know what I would like to do to those lowlifes who generate those.

Old 11-27-2016, 06:02 PM

1,125 posts, read 694,684 times
Loved my landline - easy to fax & use the scanner - RELIABLE - but Verizon came - saw the truck sitting on the block next thing me and my neighbor knew - our landlines miraculously both stopped working. Verizon swears tech didn't do anything and also refused to fix it. They claim they no longer support copper wires so when they break - they break. Next thing a tech comes and says we ordered FIOS -? We did? No we ordered repair of the copper wire. Chased the FIOS away & he was a nasty, Lying - SOB. Both of us reported the whole thing to FCC - completely useless tax dollar guzzling - I hope TRUMP gets rid of them FCC - who does nothing and lets Verizon pay off whoever they want to do whatever they want - and in the end --- we now have no landline.
Waiting for the next hurricane when all we had was that landline - hooked it to a free dialup and that was working when all the high speed internets were down. We won't even have that as a back up anymore.
Then I heard Verizon is selling the landline business to another company who wants to maintain landlines - so they are clearly intentionally sabataging all their existing copper wire lines now to force the takeover company to go through the expense of laying their own lines down.
And the FCC is ok with it all.
Argggh -

Old 11-27-2016, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk Workz View Post
Kept my business line as a VOIP line until a few years ago. Now I just run it as a virtual number and forward it to my cell.
Ignorant I know but how exactly do you do this? And how do you prevent the virtual number from giving your cell number to a bunch of robo marketers?

Old 11-27-2016, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Lee View Post
I have not had one for many years, I use two magic jacks (one to give out or make calls from to those I do not want calling) plugged into my router for all calls while home as well as the magic jack application on my android cellphone for when I am out and about while on data or at home on wifi, one phone number wherever we are in the world, works great that way.
Mr Lee - how does magic jack work?

Old 11-27-2016, 06:07 PM

2,808 posts, read 2,747,806 times
I ported a number I wanted to keep to Google Voice and another one to my Magic Jack, the MJ cost $100 for 5 years and cost $39.99 for the unit with one year service, so 6 years prepaid service it cost me $150 with tax and it was $10 to port my number over, so no more phone bills for years now.

As for those people who have terrible service at home, AT&T, TMobile , Metro PCS and I am told even Verizon have what is called wifi calling, I used the one on TMobile for years and it worked great anywhere I was in the world while on a wifi connection. A friend uses the one on AT&T on his AT&T Iphone even when he is out of the country, so there is no longer a reason to suffer with weak connections as long as you have wifi at home or wherever you need to use your cellphone.

Old 11-27-2016, 06:10 PM

2,808 posts, read 2,747,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattyneighbor View Post
Mr Lee - how does magic jack work?
As long as you have a decent internet connection then it works great, it also works great while on LTE on my cellphone, even when I only had the slowest AT&T wifi it worked okay as long as I did not connect other devices or do computer searches while on phone calls, I now have Comcast internet and it works great and I use it while in the Philippines too and it works about 95% while there while on LTE and that is only because the internet there sucks much of the time.

http://www.magicjack.com/

Old 11-27-2016, 06:25 PM

4,098 posts, read 2,858,035 times
I run my appraisal business from my home and I have TWO, a landline and a fax line (which also connects to my alarm system). Yes, I have one lawyer client who will ONLY fax me orders. He doesn't get the whole scan/email thing. I am a bit curmudgeonly, I suppose. I like having a good old fashioned phone next to my bed, in the kitchen, the living room and my office. I still think of the cell as a "car phone" and only take it with me when I'm out for the day working.

Also, it's a safety thing. 63% of 911 calls made by cell phone in California last year DID NOT transmit location data to 911. Call 911 on your landline and they instantly know where you are. I'm 64, it's something to think about as you get older.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones