Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2008, 12:15 PM

1,105 posts, read 4,569,001 times

Advertisements

I need a new phone and a new ipod or mp3 player. I am currently with Verizon but my contract is done so I can switch to AT&T if I want to get the iphone but I could also just get a cheap phone and the itouch. So I am just asking for some input from some of you that either have the iphone and itouch and or a smartphone/pda from Verizon.

1. For those of you with an iphone, how much do you pay per month and what does that include? Do you end up using the wifi (which is free right?) more than the internet/data plan? Could I get away with just the wifi and checking my email via the web?

2. For those of you with a smartphone or pdaphone with Verizon, what do you have and how much do you pay per month and what does that include? Are you happy with it?

3. For those of you with an itouch, how does the wifi and calendar work out for you?

Any other comments or input would be appreciated. Service in my area is a little better with Verizon but it isn't bad with AT&T.

Jenn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2008, 01:27 PM

6,589 posts, read 11,274,888 times
The wifi is typically a local connection - so charges may apply depending where you are (i.e. some coffee shops/stores provide free wifi access and others have banded with carriers that require you have a data plan).

I personally have a Blackberry provided by work. But I do have a iPod touch.... which I rarely use the wifi. I hate browsing the 'net on small screen unless I have too. But that's a personal preference. I will say though, it is one slick device. But I also got it as a gift... not sure I'd pay all that money if I'd had to buy it myself.

You should also check out the Voyager from Verizon... which is a iPhone knockoff... just in case you have no issues with Verizon. Again, personal preference, but I don't think you can beat Verizon's coverage. Which comes in handy with my wireless card.

Old 03-01-2008, 06:43 PM

1,105 posts, read 4,569,001 times
I like the voyager but it doesn't have wifi, big downer for me. I'm not necessarily going to pay extra for internet/data but I would like wifi if I am going to be getting a "good" phone.

I have a laptop with wireless capabilities so I am aware of the wifi charges in some starbucks, etc. But there are many places that offer free wifi.

Old 06-04-2008, 08:32 PM

389 posts, read 1,986,066 times
i have a gps and it can do everything.. and more that those pricey ipods do.. and best of all i got it for less than $130.. and i was the one who added those features myself. :P

Old 06-06-2008, 11:10 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,153,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBSer View Post
i have a gps and it can do everything.. and more that those pricey ipods do.. and best of all i got it for less than $130.. and i was the one who added those features myself. :P
No way, man The new iPhone is rumored to have 3G wireless capability, which is the sort of high speed used in Europe and Asia. I am talking about real fast now.

Old 06-07-2008, 04:27 PM

389 posts, read 1,986,066 times
my gps use wifi card that has b/g capability i just dunno the speed. but im satisfied with the wifi capability i added to my gps... when it is not meant to do it in the first place. i just hack it. and more..

Old 06-09-2008, 07:15 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,093,737 times
Before buying an iPhone, you should wait to see if Apple announces a new model this week.

Old 06-09-2008, 07:47 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,153,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
Before buying an iPhone, you should wait to see if Apple announces a new model this week.
Here you go, twice as fast, and half the price at $199.00:
Apple - iPhone

Old 06-12-2008, 08:10 PM

5,297 posts, read 6,289,808 times
I have the first generation iphone and we have wifi at home which is pretty fas with my iphone.With just the edge it is horribly slow. I had 3G with my razor and it was pretty quick too.

Old 06-13-2008, 09:12 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,093,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
Here you go, twice as fast, and half the price at $199.00:
Apple - iPhone
And not available until July 11.

I'm more bummed that they've eliminated the prepaid option. I want to get one of these and I don't want to be tied to a contract.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones