Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2017, 09:08 AM

4,894 posts, read 14,138,002 times

Advertisements

Can someone with the 7 tell me more about this headphone issue - I'm a bit confused, tried googling but not much success. Again, I'm not worried about the $100 difference but used to the way my 5S charges so this arena is new to me...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2017, 11:25 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,529,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladywithafan View Post
Can someone with the 7 tell me more about this headphone issue - I'm a bit confused, tried googling but not much success. Again, I'm not worried about the $100 difference but used to the way my 5S charges so this arena is new to me...
It just does not have a 3.5mm headphone jack (the little hole that your wired headphones plug into). Now, you only have a lightning port (the one used to charge your phone).

So listening to headphones now you have a few options:

1. They include a lightning to 3.5mm adapter with the phone so you can still use your old headphones but have to make sure you don't lose this little plug.

2. You can use headphones that have lightning on the end. Apple includes some lightning earbuds with the 7/7 Plus and some other manufacturer's are starting to sell these.

3. You can use bluetooth for audio.

Old 05-30-2017, 03:21 PM

Ok ~ thank you...now, next up: are the 6s & 7s that are being sold actually brand new or 1-3 years old coming from apple? In respect to them being sold for the past two years, i.e. sitting on a shelf somewhere in Apple land & in respect to battery age, is that an issue? I have a friend with same phone as me with suspected charging issue with battery. He's going to a business in my town that switches iphone batteries. If I went that route, as I have probably same issue, I could wait until the 8 comes out & make the grand leap. Thoughts ?

Old 05-30-2017, 05:44 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,543,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladywithafan View Post
Ok ~ thank you...now, next up: are the 6s & 7s that are being sold actually brand new or 1-3 years old coming from apple? In respect to them being sold for the past two years, i.e. sitting on a shelf somewhere in Apple land & in respect to battery age, is that an issue? I have a friend with same phone as me with suspected charging issue with battery. He's going to a business in my town that switches iphone batteries. If I went that route, as I have probably same issue, I could wait until the 8 comes out & make the grand leap. Thoughts ?
This is getting too complicated.

All phones being sold as new are just that. New. The turnover rate is such that even if you bought the ancient 6s, the phone itself was manufactured a month or two ago. Beyond that what wears out a battery is use. A new battery does not wear out unless you discharge it and recharge it 400 times. That doesn't happen in the box, sitting on a shelf. My 6 is a year and a half old and the battery life is just fine. I plan to replace my phone next January as a birthday present (I get to chose what I get ).

Honestly, I feel you are overthinking this purchase. Your 5s is truly dated and the 7 will make you wonder why you didn't make the jump three months ago. Your friend's 5s has a fading battery due to age. Mrs5150 had a fading battery on her 4s (two plus years ago). She replaced the battery and then her phone died three months later. Take the $50 for a new battery and apply it a new phone.

Old 05-31-2017, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
This is getting too complicated.

All phones being sold as new are just that. New. The turnover rate is such that even if you bought the ancient 6s, the phone itself was manufactured a month or two ago. Beyond that what wears out a battery is use. A new battery does not wear out unless you discharge it and recharge it 400 times. That doesn't happen in the box, sitting on a shelf. My 6 is a year and a half old and the battery life is just fine. I plan to replace my phone next January as a birthday present (I get to chose what I get ).

Honestly, I feel you are overthinking this purchase. Your 5s is truly dated and the 7 will make you wonder why you didn't make the jump three months ago. Your friend's 5s has a fading battery due to age. Mrs5150 had a fading battery on her 4s (two plus years ago). She replaced the battery and then her phone died three months later. Take the $50 for a new battery and apply it a new phone.
Gotacha ~ thank you!!!!!

Old 06-03-2017, 11:41 AM

9,412 posts, read 11,159,448 times
Wellll...good topic!
I have a 5s that's three years four months old. The only issues are sometimes the screen won't scroll up when I'm writing a message, and I'd like a bigger screen.
I dropped by Verizon a couple of days ago. These suckers are NOT cheap, 31-35 bucks/month x 24.

I never use headphones but I believe the headphone jack issue was to sell more wireless phones. Color me cynical.

We got new Droids from our flip phones in Feb 2014. Within a week I was ready to chuck the Droid in the nearest body of deep or swift-flowing water. NOTHING about that system works for me! I'd have gone back to a flipper before keeping a Droid. My wife is on her 9th Droid now, they have failed time after time for God-knows-what reasons. She likes her Droid.

I'd get the 7+, the one with the largest screen. We checked out the 7 holder with belt clip, that's how I wear my phone now, and bulk-wise it didn't seem much larger than my 5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adventuregurl View Post
No my phone is working just fine, but is a 5s and is small compared to the 7 or 7 plus....I like the idea of a bigger phone. I got my current one 2 years ago, and could have gotten a 6 or 6 plus then but a friend convinced me the 5s was better and I listened.

I know this is silly but I LOVE the new red 7's

Will the 8 be far superior? Does it matter?
Ditto on the larger screen. And while it's not a phone, I'm shopping 2017 Souls and that RED RED color is really growing on me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I have a 5s, and I refuse to use anything larger. Phones are too damn big.
It all depends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kluch View Post
There's nothing I don't like about it (particularly). It's an iphone, stable, reliable, pretty much sums it up. I don't feel like apple really stepped forward with this generation of iphone. The next gen is supposed to bring more innovation with it (larger "bezeless" screen, possible wireless charging, etc). You can watch all the spoiler videos on youtube. I think really the only notable thing with the 7 is it's waterproof (mostly). Plus getting rid of the headphone jack is somewhat of an annoyance but I guess that's the way everyone's going now. If you're an apple fanboy you may love the 7 regardless. I'm not, I tend to switch between android and ios and I feel like android is innovating more and the newer android phones just have more reasons to make you excited to get a new phone.
Dif'r'nt Strokes. I hated the Droid, my wife loves it. Go figure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timfountain View Post
I've had an iPhone since the original iPhone 1. But, the 6s will be my last, unless the earpiece socket makes a comeback. I refuse to carry some extra gadget that is expensive, easy to loose and needs recharging when the tried and trusted earphone worked just fine. Stupid, stupid move by Apple for no real reason.
Wow you must be old!

My bet is the earphone plug is all about $elling more $tuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherborn View Post
You can easily buy a new, unlocked 5s (need good eyesight) for less than $180 on ebay. No Apple Pay on 5s, if that is important.
Verizon offered me 60 bucks for mine on trade.

Quote:
I got the 120 G 7 Plus, a week ago, and am beyond happy I did it - the 5s seems like a dinosaur compared to this.

LOVE IT!
Kewl. Thaxx for the update.

Old 06-07-2017, 09:33 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,474,723 times
Quote:
Isn't that the truth
Speak for yourself. Back when the Iphone 5 was the latest and greatest, I ran into a bunch of old folks (40s, 50s, and 60s) at a career fair. When you're all meeting employers looking for work, you talk to each other while in line. Many of them wished Apple would make a bigger phone, but 4" was just too tiny. They were using the Samsung Note phones that were IIRC, 4.6 to 5.2" instead, as it was heard to see much with the Iph5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
I've heard that the unsubsidized price of the 8 will be north of $1,000, so you'll want to ask yourself if you can afford it,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Where? On the Chinese black market?
Where was this news heard, or where it'll be sold? For the latter, that's what the US prices are supposed to be. I thought $1K+ was only supposed to be for the higher/est end models, but given how the Iph7 was $650 to $980 for the plus and 2nd tier storage (256 GB IIRC?), it's still a price increase at the new range of $750 to a thousand... whatever.

Old 06-08-2017, 08:07 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,529,606 times
$1000 isn't shocking if that's the iPhone 8 price being the top 256gb 7 Plus is $969 right now.

Old 06-08-2017, 09:58 AM

5,511 posts, read 4,474,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
$1000 isn't shocking if that's the iPhone 8 price being the top 256gb 7 Plus is $969 right now.
Well, I'd beg to differ on several counts:
1) the part to take notice is general rising prices. Both Apple and Samsung are doing it. $600, $650, then past $700... and so on.
2) The price mentioned was $1,000+. It could be higher
3) Storage isn't THAT costly. They do it b/c they know we'll pay for it anyways

Old 06-09-2017, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ackmondual View Post
Well, I'd beg to differ on several counts:
1) the part to take notice is general rising prices. Both Apple and Samsung are doing it. $600, $650, then past $700... and so on.
2) The price mentioned was $1,000+. It could be higher
3) Storage isn't THAT costly. They do it b/c they know we'll pay for it anyways
insurance cost?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones