Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2017, 05:04 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,542,599 times

Advertisements

I just got this thought related to my thread on "Why keep a landline?"

http://www.city-data.com/forum/46315251-post1.html

We dropped our landline due to cost and redundancy. So to those who wish to retain their landline, if you care to share, what do you pay per month-including long distance charges? We were paying $50 a month, not including long distance as we did out of area calls on our cell phones. And we did not sign up for phone service with our internet/TV provider for $20 a month, because if the power went out so did our phone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2017, 05:16 PM

61,679 posts, read 87,077,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post

We dropped our landline due to cost and redundancy. So to those who wish to retain their landline, if you care to share, what do you pay per month-including long distance charges? We were paying $50 a month, not including long distance as we did out of area calls on our cell phones. And we did not sign up for phone service with our internet/TV provider for $20 a month, because if the power went out so did our phone.
If your area is hit with a power outage that lasts beyond the battery or charging ability for your wireless or cell phones, you’ll be glad to have this old-fashioned yet quite capable phone system. Wired, landline phones actually receive their minimal amount of electrical power directly through the physical phone line. So even when you’re sitting in the dark, using candles and flashlights, you may be surprised to find your plain old rotary or touch tone Princess phone still allows you to make and receive calls. And what a lifeline that could potentially be. Note: some emergency systems require a touch tone pulse so the caller can select “1” or “2” for different issues or languages. In those situations, a touch tone phone might be the best choice.
https://community.norton.com/en/blog...outage-depends

Ways to save on long distance calls:
http://www.moneycrashers.com/home-ph...rnatives-save/
https://www.groundedreason.com/repla...phone-service/
http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/n...hone/index.htm

Compare costs:
https://www.wirefly.com/compare-home-phone-service

Compare costs and services:
https://goo.gl/C7cty3

I do have phone line, and do not plan to get rid of it.

Old 04-07-2017, 06:47 PM

2,805 posts, read 3,253,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
If your area is hit with a power outage that lasts beyond the battery or charging ability for your wireless or cell phones, you’ll be glad to have this old-fashioned yet quite capable phone system.
I do have phone line, and do not plan to get rid of it.
That is what generators or backup systems such as a UPS are for, they cost far less on a one time cost than a home phone would cost over one year.

We had a home phone during hurricane Wilma, within hours the home line went out due to the backup batteries going dead at the junction boxes that are needed to keep the fiber optics running, yet my cellphones were still working due to the fact that at least one cell sites in an area usually has generator backups and we had a generator and also UPS to charge our phones off, we also ran lines to our neighbors on both sides of us and neighbors came by to charge their cell phones.

In years past home phones were wire to the phone company, nowadays most are being or have been changed to fiber optic, check to find out what yours are before thinking it will be there for you when you need it, ours wasn't when we needed it to keep in touch with family and friends who were frantically calling to see if we were okay after watching the news and seeing some homes destroyed by hurricane Wilma.

Old 04-08-2017, 10:11 AM

9,455 posts, read 12,542,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
If your area is hit with a power outage that lasts beyond the battery or charging ability for your wireless or cell phones, you’ll be glad to have this old-fashioned yet quite capable phone system. Wired, landline phones actually receive their minimal amount of electrical power directly through the physical phone line. .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Lee View Post
That is what generators or backup systems such as a UPS are for, they cost far less on a one time cost than a home phone would cost over one year.

We had a home phone during hurricane Wilma, within hours the home line went out due to the backup batteries going dead at the junction boxes that are needed to keep the fiber optics running, yet my cellphones were still working due to the fact that at least one cell sites in an area usually has generator backups and we had a generator and also UPS to charge our phones off, we also ran lines to our neighbors on both sides of us and neighbors came by to charge their cell phones.

In years past home phones were wire to the phone company, nowadays most are being or have been changed to fiber optic, check to find out what yours are before thinking it will be there for you when you need it, ours wasn't when we needed it to keep in touch with family and friends who were frantically calling to see if we were okay after watching the news and seeing some homes destroyed by hurricane Wilma.
What Mr. Lee said and more. We have back up batteries for our phones-I always travel with a back up battery. One can always use a car charger. Plus our local cell towers have fuel cell back ups if the power goes out. And because we live in an rural area, we usually lose power one or more times a year-so we also have a home generator.

We also had a real copper wire landline in 2010/2011 during a particularly severe winter. Lost power four times, up to four days at a time. Guess what? After 48 hours our copper wired landlines stopped working, because the main switch station (or whatever they call that big grey box on the corner batteries went dead). We had to call AT&T on our cell phone to have them recharge that grey box.

Old 04-08-2017, 10:14 AM

50,362 posts, read 63,948,892 times
We pay $35. It's bundled with our internet. If we drop it, our internet goes up $10. So it's easier just to keep it, until we get a better option for internet.

Old 04-08-2017, 12:04 PM

147 posts, read 162,786 times
No need to have a landline if you have the internet. You can have an internet based phone and pay only $0.0198 per minute and $1.95 a month (Callcentric). All you need is a telephone adapter box ( I have a https://goo.gl/oLjw0o), a router and access to the internet.

Old 04-08-2017, 04:18 PM

2,805 posts, read 3,253,403 times
Our landline cost us $40 including one year plus $99.95 for 5 more years, thus 6 years cost us around $140 plus tax for calls to anywhere in the US and Canada, so why anyone would wish to pay monthly is beyond me and we also have prepaid cellphones for $100 a year. VoIP Phone Service - Internet Home Phone Service Providers | magicJack

Old 04-10-2017, 08:07 AM

16,546 posts, read 19,685,380 times
Quote:
What Mr. Lee said and more. We have back up batteries for our phones-I always travel with a back up battery. One can always use a car charger. Plus our local cell towers have fuel cell back ups if the power goes out. And because we live in an rural area, we usually lose power one or more times a year-so we also have a home generator.
Not only that, but raise your hand if you're power has been out for DAYS recently? I know it happens, but how frequently?
The last time my power went out for more then 10-12 hours was when half the state went down when Ohio took down power for a 3rd of the country. What was that... 2006?

Old 04-10-2017, 01:22 PM

3,549 posts, read 6,662,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Not only that, but raise your hand if you're power has been out for DAYS recently? I know it happens, but how frequently?
The last time my power went out for more then 10-12 hours was when half the state went down when Ohio took down power for a 3rd of the country. What was that... 2006?
We were without power for a few days about a year ago in an ice storm. Used the portable battery charger to keep the phones charged for the first couple of days, and when that ran out I plugged them into the car.

Old 04-13-2017, 03:40 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,098,725 times
Quote:

My payment is nothing, 0, and I have 4 land lines. Early on Ooma offered lifetime free Ooma service at no cost, with free 911. Those who took the offer, have free Ooma service. Today Ooma charges about $4 per month for 911 fees.

$0 per month is easy, Freedompop is $0 per month for cellular service.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones