Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2017, 11:14 PM

6,403 posts, read 10,195,835 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the searchers View Post
If the government can't figure out a way to eliminate spam phone calls there is not much hope for more complicated issues.
Like "affordable heath care" ??

Old 07-19-2017, 12:21 PM

16,459 posts, read 19,483,348 times
A friend of mine called me last week. I work with here, I am the IT Guy. So she called me.

"Hey, my husband is on the phone with Microsoft"... her
"He's what?" me
"Yea, he's been on the phone for 45 minutes and they are doing something on his laptop"...

HANG UP ON THEM AND SHUT OFF THE LAPTOP NOW! Luckily they didn't get anything but man... What do we have to do to make sure people know that MICROSOFT ISN'T GOING TO CALL YOU! Do these people not watch 60 minutes?

Old 07-19-2017, 11:45 PM

760 posts, read 761,175 times
I'm sick of htem too, but in my case I don't answer the phone if I don't recognize the number or it's out of area, I just automatically block every one of them. Apparently there's no way to just block the entire exchange that is being used for 99% of them- the 712-371____ if there was I'd just block the whole exchange.

Old 07-19-2017, 11:48 PM

760 posts, read 761,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvette Ministries View Post

Notice though, it will be the FCC who rakes in that $120 million fine, we, the victims here will get NOTHING while the FCC rakes in a nice fortune there and keeps it, essentially making money off US.

Old 07-20-2017, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculptor View Post
Notice though, it will be the FCC who rakes in that $120 million fine, we, the victims here will get NOTHING while the FCC rakes in a nice fortune there and keeps it, essentially making money off US.
That shouldn't surprise anyone.

Old 07-20-2017, 05:55 AM

3,782 posts, read 4,207,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
Let's keep this in perspective......spam is nothing more than an inconvenience. Just ignore it and don't answer the phone for unknown calls. My philosophy is that if it isn't important enough for them to leave a message, I won't even give it a second thought. If I do answer a spam call by accident or suspect a message left is spam, I hang up or delete the message. There are far more important things to stress about. Somehow I doubt anybody has died from a spam message/call.
My thoughts exactly. If I don't recognize a number I don't answer it....usually. If it is a local and I'm expecting a call, I sometimes will answer. Did that once and it was some fool telling me he was a US Marshal and if I didn't pay for the bail ahead of time, he would come over and arrest me. I told him to come on over, I will welcome him with one arm open, one arm holding a present. Needless to say no one came.

I have also installed an app on my android phone called BLACKLIST, and you have it remember a number that called and never left a message and the next time it calls it does not ring. It works. My SPAM calls have reduced by over 90 percent in the pas three months.

Old 07-20-2017, 06:28 AM

296 posts, read 215,123 times
One big problem with elderly folks getting scam calls, they are afraid of being "rude" to anyone, and sometimes end up being HAD for it!

Old 07-20-2017, 06:32 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,114 posts, read 80,205,776 times
I gave up finally on the fun of playing with them, they still call back. Now I answer, wait for a human to pick up, and whatever they want I say that I'm not interested and please stop calling. If a sales call, I tell them I am on the Do Not Call list and they are in violation. So far that has worked. Only one call in 3 days, after 3-4 a day for several weeks.

Old 07-21-2017, 06:39 PM

2,837 posts, read 2,676,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
Let's keep this in perspective......spam is nothing more than an inconvenience. Just ignore it and don't answer the phone for unknown calls. My philosophy is that if it isn't important enough for them to leave a message, I won't even give it a second thought. If I do answer a spam call by accident or suspect a message left is spam, I hang up or delete the message. There are far more important things to stress about. Somehow I doubt anybody has died from a spam message/call.
There are quite a few cons that originate from spam calls so I would not call them just an inconvenience. Also have heard that the ones who get a live answer sell the number to other spam generators.

Old 07-21-2017, 07:45 PM

My point is that there are plenty of preventative options for consumers. Unfortunately some folks are conned by these spammers, but it happens every day via email, regular USPS mail for example.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones