Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2017, 11:41 AM

3,053 posts, read 1,965,732 times

Advertisements

I was hoping someone could help me. Recently, I changed the option on my Nokia Lumia 725 phone to not display my name on Caller ID, so it shows up reading "Restricted" instead.

Because my 86-yr old mum is confused by it & won't answer the phone if she doesn't see my name, I need to change it back to showing my name. The problem is, I can't bloody well find the option to enable the change. I've been through every option on my phone, looked at the online user's manual & followed the instructions on varying sites... all the same instructions.

Nokia Lumia 735 - Turn your own caller identification on or off

They all read as above. Here's the issue... when I reach the 2nd paragraph saying, "Press the field 'Show My Caller ID'"... I don't have that option on my phone any longer. I swear it was there before... that's how I turned it off. What happened? I turned the phone off & on again, thinking that might help... no. I've checked every single option under Settings... nothing.

Can anyone help me, please? Thank you very much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2017, 09:43 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,035,552 times
Once you flipped that switch, the option to revert it might have been eliminated by your wireless provider. Call them and ask. You're following the directions in your manual, so if the setting went away, it's probably the provider who removed it.

Old 08-17-2017, 03:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
Once you flipped that switch, the option to revert it might have been eliminated by your wireless provider. Call them and ask. You're following the directions in your manual, so if the setting went away, it's probably the provider who removed it.
Oh, too bad... I was hoping to avoid phone tree Valhalla. Okay, thank you. I'll give them a call.

Old 08-17-2017, 04:04 AM

6,428 posts, read 10,260,812 times
The simple solution for the OP is to store their name and phone # into their mother's phone book. Every time you call her. your name will show on the phone display as long as Caller ID is fully supported in her area.

Old 08-17-2017, 04:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
The simple solution for the OP is to store their name and phone # into their mother's phone book. Every time you call her. your name will show on the phone display as long as Caller ID is fully supported in her area.
I thought the same, too. It's there, but my name now shows up as Restricted. Until I chose that option, it displayed my name.

Bo... The only other thing I didn't consider is if I reset my phone to factory settings... would that bring back the lost field? I didn't do it as it says I lose all contacts & pics & I was hoping to find an easier way. But, at this point, I'd happily reset it if it means not having to place a lengthy call to Verizon Customer Service.

Old 08-17-2017, 07:24 AM

10,924 posts, read 21,932,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
No it won't. If the caller is preventing their caller ID data from being transmitted, the receiving party cannot determine who is calling, nothing to do with stored contacts.

Old 08-17-2017, 09:16 AM

Well, good news, it's fixed, mostly...

I called Verizon CS. She unblocked Caller ID from there. Told me to turn off phone, then back on & test the Caller ID by calling someone. She also said that option to turn on/off Caller ID should re-appear as a field choice on my phone.

So, I called my mum, who finally answered the phone cuz my name appeared. That's 1 down. However, that option hasn't returned as a choice field on my phone, even after turning it off several times. It's okay & not a big deal... I can call CS if I ever want to block it again & it's unlikely I will.

Bonus is this... she gave me $5 off my monthly bill & an extra 2G of data because she said I've been a customer for a long time & it was some sort of promotion for new customers, but she thought I'd appreciate it. Very nice. Passing that last bit along as perhaps if you're already a Verizon customer you can still get that same promotional offer if you ask for it.

So, thank you for your replies & Bo specifically. Now I can finally talk to my mommy. She thought I'd entered the witness protection program.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones