Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2017, 11:53 AM

4,605 posts, read 3,295,372 times

Advertisements

For those who have read my "stupid" threads about cell phones, here I am again, trying to learn about cell phones and different plans, without the benefit of children or grandchildren to educate me.

When a cell phone company advertises "two lines for XX dollars," what exactly does that mean? Does it mean you can have two cell phones, with two phone numbers, each using up to the (combined) total of the package allowance? Or does it mean one cell phone has two lines on that same physical phone? You can see what a complete dummy I am, even though we have had cell phone service, with a flip phone and no data, for several years. (BTW, I assume "data" means being able to text, and go onto the internet, right?)

Thanks for putting on your teaching hats again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2017, 11:58 AM

8,168 posts, read 8,519,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post
<>When a cell phone company advertises "two lines for XX dollars," what exactly does that mean? <>
Usually it's four lines for $xxx because that is what family plans need. If you need one line only you can expect to pay more that the advertised per line rate. In any event, that is a separate number for each line. Phones are sold separately.

Old 10-07-2017, 12:30 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,538,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post
For those who have read my "stupid" threads about cell phones, here I am again, trying to learn about cell phones and different plans, without the benefit of children or grandchildren to educate me.

When a cell phone company advertises "two lines for XX dollars," what exactly does that mean? Does it mean you can have two cell phones, with two phone numbers, each using up to the (combined) total of the package allowance? Or does it mean one cell phone has two lines on that same physical phone? You can see what a complete dummy I am, even though we have had cell phone service, with a flip phone and no data, for several years. (BTW, I assume "data" means being able to text, and go onto the internet, right?)

Thanks for putting on your teaching hats again.
Two lines, two phones, two separate numbers. Then a shared data plan. Our plan is with Verizon. Mrs5150 and I each have an iPhone. Each line is $20 a month to access unlimited calling and texting. That’s $40 a month for two phones. We also have a data plan for phone internet service. I selected the 4gig plan. That is $50 a month. So our total bill is $90, plus about $4 in fees and taxes. I get a discount for being a retired gov’t employee, so we pay $87 a month.

If all you have is two flip phones, you would only pay $40 a month for two lines with Verizon. Unlimited text and talk. $20 per line regardless of the number of lines. The data is shared by by all lines/phones

Old 10-07-2017, 02:01 PM

Thanks! Now I have to check out plans. I probably will have other questions

Old 10-08-2017, 05:54 AM

6,471 posts, read 10,332,410 times
Don't forget that if you have a smart phone, the postpaid carriers REQUIRE some type of data plan. The days of pay per use (PPU) data on those carriers is a thing of the past, unless you have a very old, grandfathered plan.

Old 10-08-2017, 12:30 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,532,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
If all you have is two flip phones, you would only pay $40 a month for two lines with Verizon. Unlimited text and talk. $20 per line regardless of the number of lines.
I don't think that is accurate. AFAIK with Verizon postpaid you must purchase data.

Verizon Prepaid does give you the option for unlimited talk and text on a flip phone for $30 per phone. Total Wireless (a subsidiary of Tracfone) will give you the same deal on the Verizon Network, and allow you to use any phone at all, for $25 for one phone ($23.70 with Auto Refill).

Other networks are considerably cheaper with Wavenation at $6.99 per month the cheapest unlimited talk and text plan (on Sprint Network).
https://www.wavenation.com/#/plans

Old 10-08-2017, 07:21 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,538,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
I don't think that is accurate. AFAIK with Verizon postpaid you must purchase data.

Verizon Prepaid does give you the option for unlimited talk and text on a flip phone for $30 per phone. Total Wireless (a subsidiary of Tracfone) will give you the same deal on the Verizon Network, and allow you to use any phone at all, for $25 for one phone ($23.70 with Auto Refill).

Other networks are considerably cheaper with Wavenation at $6.99 per month the cheapest unlimited talk and text plan (on Sprint Network).
https://www.wavenation.com/#/plans
You’re right. Verizon offers an unlimited talk and text plan for flip phones for $30 a month. Includes 500mb of data.

Old 10-10-2017, 08:59 AM

5,921 posts, read 13,848,998 times
Just an observation ...
If you still have a "flip phone", and you do some texting, I find the flip phone to be very obnoxious for entering text, without a QWERTY pad. (Not sure what kind of text input your flip phone has !)
See how much you need to pay more for a simple smart phone.
You can then talk into your phone for texting, look at your text before you "send", correct if necessary and then send.

If you have kids somewhere, ask them what they did with their old smart phones ?
If they kept it, ask them if you can use it !
That is what I do all the time (our kids are gadget idiots !) -- Wife has 2 year old IPhone and I have old model Samsung Note 4. It does everything, we need the phone to do !

Old 10-10-2017, 10:55 AM

I do have a couple of kids, both thousands of miles away. So they're not around to educate me and give me their old phones, etc.

I agree that typing messages on the flip phones is a right pain. I would love to have some kind of updated phone so probably need to see what a cheap smart phone would cost me.

Old 10-11-2017, 08:35 PM

658 posts, read 2,006,001 times
There is the T-Mobile plan of $60 for 2 phones and each have their own Data(25GB each I think). It is for people 55 and older and the $60 includes taxes and such if on auto pay. I think it is $5 more if not on auto pay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones