Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2017, 11:42 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,534,604 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary2014 View Post
When you refer to landlines are you referring to copper wire landlines that still work even if electricity is out or you referring to phones that people consider a landline because it part of a Fios or Comcast type of bundle that may only work about 8 hours on a battery backup?

One reason I keep my landline (cooper wire) is because even if I loose power for 24 hours it still works. Just wondering if there are two different types of land lines.
the copper lines have power because the power supply is at their end... if they lose power, your line doesn't work either

it's like running an electric cord from your neighbors house if your house loses power

there isn't a magic copper line that powers itself
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2017, 05:52 AM

6,470 posts, read 10,332,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary2014 View Post
When you refer to landlines are you referring to copper wire landlines that still work even if electricity is out or you referring to phones that people consider a landline because it part of a Fios or Comcast type of bundle that may only work about 8 hours on a battery backup?

One reason I keep my landline (cooper wire) is because even if I loose power for 24 hours it still works. Just wondering if there are two different types of land lines.
Landlines have their own source of power through the physical phone lines. Secondly, if you are using a cordless landline phone, it will not work. You would have to use a wired phone to be able to make/receive calls during a power outage.

Old 10-13-2017, 08:37 AM

2,743 posts, read 4,823,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nattering Heights View Post
Cell + landline + ham radio = ready for anything
Nah! All of the above still depend on grid-electricity, or backup generators provided with a sufficient duration fuel. If you want to be FULLY prepared, get a flock of homing pidgins. No electricity needed by them!

Old 10-16-2017, 10:47 AM

15,427 posts, read 25,795,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_RDNC View Post
Nah! All of the above still depend on grid-electricity, or backup generators provided with a sufficient duration fuel. If you want to be FULLY prepared, get a flock of homing pidgins. No electricity needed by them!
Then you have to feed them (fuel) and clean up their crap, and take care of their medical needs.

Old 10-16-2017, 10:48 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,534,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
Then you have to feed them (fuel) and clean up their crap, and take care of their medical needs.
but if it gets bad enough, you can eat them as emergency food supply

Old 10-21-2017, 11:01 AM

14,611 posts, read 17,532,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
Landlines have their own source of power through the physical phone lines.
Landlines have rooms full of batteries to provide power through the phone lines. Eventually that room full of batteries will run down, but they are big enough to keep going for a reasonable amount of time.

You can simulate this backup with battery chargers that keep extra batteries available for your cell phone.

There are a variety of backups and if you want to go totally 3rd world a hand crank. If you crank of 10 minutes you should have enough juice for 5 minute call. However, you normally want to use the power in your batteries that you charged up using your home electricity while the power was on. The hand crank is for the zombie apocalypse or a tree falling on your power lines where you lose power for more than 5 days.
https://www.macworld.com/article/208...e-devices.html

My friend pays $90+ to Verizon to keep a landline, so she has a phone line in case of a power emergency (which never happens for more than an hour). That's a lot of money to pay out when you can just buy some backup batteries.

Old 10-21-2017, 11:25 AM

2,743 posts, read 4,823,956 times
If you're looking for a source to charge your electronics for several days of power outage, I stumbled across one unexpected source.

A car battery "portable battery charger'. It's a cigar-box sized battery that you keep on a wall-outlet trickle charger, then carry to your car when it needs a jump-start. Mine has a cigarette convenience outlet so it can also be used for powering beach trip boom-boxes and air mattress inflators.
After getting it to solve a car problem, I realized it would also help during a power outage. It will have enough capacity to charge all my personal electronics way more often than I'd ever need, for days, perhaps weeks.

$40 from your local car parts store, and is portable, easy to use for the other, above noted, conveniences.

Old 10-21-2017, 11:34 AM

8,168 posts, read 8,519,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nattering Heights View Post
Cell + landline + ham radio = ready for anything
PBS talked to some hams who were very active for Puerto Rico, connecting families who had lost communications.

Old 10-21-2017, 02:11 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,538,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
My friend pays $90+ to Verizon to keep a landline, so she has a phone line in case of a power emergency (which never happens for more than an hour). That's a lot of money to pay out when you can just buy some backup batteries.
Wow! 90x12=$1080 a year, $10800 over 10 years! And I thought paying $50 a month for an ATT landline was a waste But at least mine was a copper line

Old 10-21-2017, 04:48 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,532,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Wow! 90x12=$1080 a year, $10800 over 10 years! And I thought paying $50 a month for an ATT landline was a waste But at least mine was a copper line
Yes, when I check it out online it says $60.99 for Verizon Freedom Essentials. But when I looked at my friend's bill she had over $30 in taxes and surcharges. She had nothing unusual , like overseas calling plan. I don't remember all the charges, but they were the usual BS fees.

I call any surcharge or fee BS, if it is something that you don't have the option to drop and it is not a tax. It's just deceptive pricing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones