Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2017, 07:38 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,676,557 times

Advertisements

OK, now I'm getting annoyed with these OLD PEOPLE and they're resistance to using this TOOL.
(For the record I am NOT very young). Because, let's face it, no one under 40 even knows what a POTS line is or is anti smartphone.

@Kerrman
You don't want a REAL phone so you don't get "bothered while running errands"? Seriously? Getting a phone call or a text on your way to the grocery store is THAT bothersome? Does it throw off your whole flow? Are you THAT focused on getting to the grocery store?
But AGAIN Kerrtown: it is a TOOL. It is up to YOU to decide how to use it. If you need to be hyper focused on getting to the grocery store...you can mute your phone. You can even....check this out: TURN IT OFF.
What if you get lost going to the new grocery store you wanted to check out across town?
Me? I can get a map on my phone in SECONDS.

Y'know what? I am changing my tune here.
@Scribbles76. GET A DAMN SMARTPHONE! Stop being a luddite. YOU MIGHT ACTUALLY FIND YOURSELF...ENJOYING IT. (I'd bet money, you would).
Stop being THAT old person....

Every SINGLE person that I've talked into getting a smartphone thanked me later. My 40 year old buddy who always said "my phone does what I need" is now rocking a Samsung S8 wondering how he ever got by without it. My in-laws, both in their 70s, can get pics of the grandkid any time wherever we go. They even send US pictures now. Crazy!

/Comic Relief
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2017, 09:41 AM

9,455 posts, read 12,540,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
OK, now I'm getting annoyed with these OLD PEOPLE and they're resistance to using this TOOL.
(For the record I am NOT very young). Because, let's face it, no one under 40 even knows what a POTS line is or is anti smartphone.

@Kerrman
You don't want a REAL phone so you don't get "bothered while running errands"? Seriously? Getting a phone call or a text on your way to the grocery store is THAT bothersome? Does it throw off your whole flow? Are you THAT focused on getting to the grocery store?
But AGAIN Kerrtown: it is a TOOL. It is up to YOU to decide how to use it. If you need to be hyper focused on getting to the grocery store...you can mute your phone. You can even....check this out: TURN IT OFF.
What if you get lost going to the new grocery store you wanted to check out across town?
Me? I can get a map on my phone in SECONDS.

Y'know what? I am changing my tune here.
@Scribbles76. GET A DAMN SMARTPHONE! Stop being a luddite. YOU MIGHT ACTUALLY FIND YOURSELF...ENJOYING IT. (I'd bet money, you would).
Stop being THAT old person....

Every SINGLE person that I've talked into getting a smartphone thanked me later. My 40 year old buddy who always said "my phone does what I need" is now rocking a Samsung S8 wondering how he ever got by without it. My in-laws, both in their 70s, can get pics of the grandkid any time wherever we go. They even send US pictures now. Crazy!

/Comic Relief
I can understand your frustration and annoyance. I agree with you that *everyone* I know who got a smartphone wonders why they didn't do it sooner. Case in point: We're friends with an older couple ages 75 and 71. Three years ago they had flip phones that they had for emergencies only. Barley used them. Then three years ago the wife got a 5s. Next the husband got a 6 Plus and they fully utilize their smart phones: camera, maps, pictures, facebook-you name it. Both prefer to text for short conversations. Mrs5150's best friend, age 79 texts all the time and sends birding pics to my wife all the time and actually surfs the net more on her phone than on her laptop.

I'm 67 BTW and Mrs5150 is 65 and both love our 6s iPhones.

Yes, If you don't want your life interrupted you can always turn off the dang phone!

Last edited by Mr5150; 11-14-2017 at 09:50 AM..

Old 11-26-2017, 02:10 AM

1,200 posts, read 1,604,299 times
My grandfather who's 86 actually found touch screen phones easier to text on then old brick phones with keys. Also, he lives in another country and so enjoys the video chat option to see his sons and daughters while they're talking. Though I suppose you can do the same on a PC.

As for the internet, isn't it quite cheap nowadays to have unlimited data? I know in the beginning it was quite expensive, but now that almost everyone has it the price has drastically decreased.

Old 11-26-2017, 03:13 AM

1,713 posts, read 1,106,491 times
Old person? I'll have you know, whiskerless youths, that I'm in the prime of my lives. I'm only 41 .

Far back in the ancient mists of 1990, my teenage self predicted that the world and its technological 'advancements' would go in exactly the direction they have. I was dismissed as a crank, and as those who mocked me wander around in a daze staring at their tablets or smartphones, it's become clearer to me that we've sleepwalked into a Fear Factory album and no-one appears to have noticed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RJsRQOneMY

By all means, good people of C-D, enjoy your brave new world that hath such people in't. Film, photograph and tweet your holidays, concerts and special occasions at the cost of enjoying or experiencing them, but rest assured you'll never take me alive .

Old 11-26-2017, 04:11 AM

14,611 posts, read 17,537,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scribbles76 View Post
Far back in the ancient mists of 1990, my teenage self predicted that the world and its technological 'advancements' would go in exactly the direction they have. I was dismissed as a crank, and as those who mocked me wander around in a daze staring at their tablets or smartphones, it's become clearer to me that we've sleepwalked into a Fear Factory album and no-one appears to have noticed.
A city in Austria where Mozart was born has installed air bags on it's lamp posts as so many pedestrians with their eyes glued to their screens were walking into them and getting injured.

Old 11-26-2017, 04:55 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,447,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canaan-84 View Post
My grandfather who's 86 actually found touch screen phones easier to text on then old brick phones with keys. Also, he lives in another country and so enjoys the video chat option to see his sons and daughters while they're talking. Though I suppose you can do the same on a PC.

As for the internet, isn't it quite cheap nowadays to have unlimited data? I know in the beginning it was quite expensive, but now that almost everyone has it the price has drastically decreased.
Internet is generally limited to 1 TB on home service, then you pay $10 per 50 GB. I'm paying $60 a month.

Old 11-27-2017, 09:34 AM

4,206 posts, read 3,756,066 times
This past weekend my wife and I went into Verizon to ask a couple of questions about our plan. I never realized it until this weekend, but for me, being in one of these stores feels like I am at a car dealership. Now that our phones are paid off it will save us $36 a month so we inquired about an unlimited data plan and it would increase our payment by roughly $30 a month. Then he started trying to sell us a new phone and explained that because we are now saving $36 a month, the new phone with upgraded data plan would only increase our plan by $15 month more than what we were paying. At this point wed be pushing close to $150 a month.

Many people believe a phone is a tool but I have never owned a tool that had a monthly payment associated with it. Our previous bill was $136 a month x 12 months equals $1,632 a year for a "tool" that may be used randomly here and there. In the last two years I have paid $3,264 for a cell phone. Even if I were to shut it off as some recommend, why would I pay that much money and keep it off?

I enjoy modern conveniences and modern technology, I am far from a "luddite" as some may think, but these costs are astronomical for something that I am more than capable of doing without. To each his own I guess, I just don't like people saying you need to get something when you don't.

Kind of funny, but the salesman at Verizon steered us away from the new IPhone which was surprising.

Old 11-27-2017, 10:15 AM

9,455 posts, read 12,540,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangman66 View Post

Many people believe a phone is a tool but I have never owned a tool that had a monthly payment associated with it. Our previous bill was $136 a month x 12 months equals $1,632 a year for a "tool" that may be used randomly here and there. In the last two years I have paid $3,264 for a cell phone. Even if I were to shut it off as some recommend, why would I pay that much money and keep it off?

g.
If you had a landline phone, you would have paid $XX for the phone and $XX per month. I don't understand your logic. Most people these days don't have a landline so paying $XX for the phone and $XX per month is just how it works. We pay $87 per month for two iPhones at Verizon. Phones are paid off. Do you need unlimited data?

Old 11-27-2017, 10:31 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,731,407 times
I don't know how I made it to 79 without one of these smartie phones...and the last thing I want to go to sleep with is my phone. Talk about ADDICTION. Who wants to be on call 24/7, NOT ME.

How did my parents make it into their 90's without one of these smarties...

Old 11-27-2017, 10:47 AM

4,206 posts, read 3,756,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
If you had a landline phone, you would have paid $XX for the phone and $XX per month. I don't understand your logic. Most people these days don't have a landline so paying $XX for the phone and $XX per month is just how it works. We pay $87 per month for two iPhones at Verizon. Phones are paid off. Do you need unlimited data?
We do have a landline phone and I am ok with paying for cell phone service but with a smartphone I believe you are required to have some sort of data plan and the data plan is what really bumps up the price. We currently have 3GB and we have never gone over but was just curious about an unlimited plan as our son is getting older and will soon want a phone himself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones