Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2017, 11:24 AM

2,743 posts, read 4,827,742 times

Advertisements

Over the last few years, the various cell phone manufacturers seem to place a large value on reducing the edge space between the active screen and the side of the phone.
They brag how small the sides are, and the Edge phones even designed and manufactured a screen that extends the entire width leaving zero border.

I can see how this has a cosmetic appeal, but I'm definitely a "function over form" guy and am curious if I'm in the minority thinking this is a very minor aspect of what drives me to choose a new phone. I'd much rather they'd spend those development millions for improving the quality of the phone call, or paying for faster CPUs, better batteries, etc.

Agree / Disagree?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2017, 01:24 PM

16,548 posts, read 19,698,509 times
You mean the bezel. Man, I am right there with you. The 2017 Bezeless craze, I'm tired of it. Ok, Apple you win: no bezels. I hope LG and Sammy don't rush to do the same, and their bezels are skinny enough.

Old 11-28-2017, 02:39 PM

3,549 posts, read 6,664,675 times
The lack of left and right bezels are literally the only thing I like better on my S7 Edge compared to my wife's S7.

But yea, at a certain point they can only be so thin. Too thin, and you get issues with edge touches (still happens to me daily with the Edge).

Old 11-28-2017, 06:18 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
You mean the bezel. Man, I am right there with you. The 2017 Bezeless craze, I'm tired of it. Ok, Apple you win: no bezels. I hope LG and Sammy don't rush to do the same, and their bezels are skinny enough.
Bad news. LG and Samsung have been on the no bezel bus for some time.

Apple is somewhat of a late entrant to the anti-bezel craze.

Old 11-29-2017, 05:44 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,915,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post

Apple is somewhat of a late entrant to the anti-bezel craze.

Always late to the game.. then try to market as something new.. typical apple..

But back to the point.. Sharp made a phone for sprint.. I still have it.. Has a zero bezel Shart Aquo.. It uses glass as a speaker.. https://www.amazon.com/Sharp-Crystal.../dp/B00NWYANAI

Not a bad phone, just small space and with the worst company ever. IF they would have market this phone with better providers, and more room.. it would be a good contender. I hate zero boarders because one drop and its cracked! even with a case.

Old 11-30-2017, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
The G6 still has SOME bezel. The S8 has a forehead and chin. The X has zero bezels. It's a slab o glass.
I don't want a slab o glass.

Old 11-30-2017, 11:32 AM

38 posts, read 23,868 times
I honestly hate the no bezels trend. What is the point? Without bezels what the heck am I supposed to hold on to when I'm using my phone? I have a note 8 and I have trouble with accidental touches that are only prevented by using a case that gives me something to rest my fingers on.

Can I say how much I hate the thinness trend too? I don't know a single person who buys a phone because it's thinner than all the others, it's more of a thing that people just tolerate since every phone is competing to be the most anorexic. I've spent many years in the cellular industry as a front-end rep and also in the development community as a hobbyist, and I've seen firsthand how many people do not give two craps about how thin a phone or its bezels are, they just want a good screen, decent camera, good battery life, and a headphone jack. Phones manufacturers nowadays aren't really innovating anymore, they're just competing to see who can make the thinnest, lightest, most bezel-less phone with no regard to what consumers actually want.

Old 11-30-2017, 02:28 PM

I do like how thin mine is. hahaha
Not a selling point. I'd rather have thicker and better battery. But as is...I like it skinny.

Old 12-01-2017, 09:50 AM

2,743 posts, read 4,827,742 times
Very good points about thickness. The no-bezel trend is about as useful as the playing-card thin goals.
Both are synthetic marketing tools, neither are really aesthetically worth pursuing, and both directly effect the cost and functionality.

Keep in mind the Samsung "cell-phone and BBQ grille lighter" came from squeezing as much battery as possible in too small a space, and when it got hot it expanded enough to rupture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones