Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2018, 06:26 PM

16,597 posts, read 8,610,160 times

Advertisements

My understanding is that you can have two independent numbers on one phone, but my carrier and at least one other major one said it cannot be done.
In this technological age, that would seem absurd.

Now I do know there are some phones with duel sim card capability, so I'd think one of those might work, but before I go and buy one, I'd like the collective wisdom of the techies on CD to help guide/advise me?

`
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2018, 06:31 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,542,084 times
Duel Sim card, can't use both at same time though, limitation of technology.

Google voice...Or voip app

Old 02-16-2018, 06:34 PM

6,479 posts, read 10,350,022 times
You would have to have a compatible phone with your network that has 2 SIM slots with separate IMEI #'s to enable it to work. As I understand, both SIM cards cannot be simultaneously active to allow calls from each phone number with a US carrier. The carriers would prefer that you have 2 different handsets with different #'s to increase their profits, so they do not
promote or sell such devices.

Old 02-16-2018, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
Duel Sim card, can't use both at same time though, limitation of technology.

Google voice...Or voip app
Well I already have two established business numbers that I must keep for obvious reason, but do not want the hassle of having two phones to always carry around. It is not to save money on equipment, just a functionality/convenience issue.

With Google voice, you cannot port an existing number, can you?

I am not sure what VOIP APP is?

Old 02-16-2018, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
You would have to have a compatible phone with your network that has 2 SIM slots with separate IMEI #'s to enable it to work. As I understand, both SIM cards cannot be simultaneously active to allow calls from each phone number with a US carrier. The carriers would prefer that you have 2 different handsets with different #'s to increase their profits, so they do not
promote or sell such devices.
Can a device such as this do the trick?

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Unloc...sim+card+phone

`

Old 02-16-2018, 07:20 PM

6,479 posts, read 10,350,022 times
Yes, that is a Dual SIM phone. Make sure it has the correct cellular/LTE frequencies compatible with your cellular network before you decide to buy it.

Old 02-16-2018, 08:04 PM

Now when you guys say both sim cards will not work at once, does that mean if you are on the phone with one number, that someone calling the other will not get through and/or go straight to voicemail?

Old 02-16-2018, 10:25 PM

2,805 posts, read 3,254,506 times
Dual sim phones can have two carriers or if your cell phone is LTE and has great coverage all over the areas you travel, then you can use a VOIP phone like a Magic Jack applications or others and in that way have two numbers on one regular cell phone, it is all up to the person, I use a Magic Jack app on my LTE phone and while the calls on the app are not perfect all the time and definitely not for business type of usage, it allows me to answer my Magic Jack house phone when out and about.

For phones, you can get a decent dual sim phone as low as $200 at places such as Best Buy for an Asus Zenfone 4 Max 32 which has two sims and a memory card or a much more expensive phone such as the Samsung S7 Edge which can only have two sims. My opinion, whatever you buy make sure it has at least 32GB of internal memory if you want to keep the phone for many years.

Old 02-17-2018, 12:01 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,542,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
Now when you guys say both sim cards will not work at once, does that mean if you are on the phone with one number, that someone calling the other will not get through and/or go straight to voicemail?
https://www.digitalcitizen.life/simp...w-does-it-work

Old 02-17-2018, 12:55 PM

5,867 posts, read 11,926,362 times
Why not just forward one of the numbers? I used to have to carry a work phone and my personal and many times I just did call forwarding to avoid having 2 phones to carry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones