Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2018, 11:56 AM

950 posts, read 692,461 times

Advertisements

Something strange happened. I got an email-receipt from a health food store of which I'm a member, and the email said I paid for some food there. But I was never at that location, because I buy my food from a different branch. So someone had used my phone number when he bought the food. But he paid for it so I don't owe any money. So why did he use my phone number for his identity? Isn't that strange? When I called the store, even the cashier was baffled.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2018, 12:16 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,321,790 times
A lot of businesses try to get your e-mail or other contact info so they can swamp you with junk mail (or junk e-mail, text messages, etc.) Those of us who don't care to participate either say "No." when they ask for a contact info, or we just make something up. If I am feeling particularly irritated I'll read off a number like "987-654-3210. How's that?" which makes it clear it's a fake number; other times I will just make something up; most of the time I just say "No." in a firm tone that doesn't admit argument.

I am willing to bet someone did just this, and it so happened that the fake number they made up was yours.

Old 02-25-2018, 01:58 PM

7,517 posts, read 13,624,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
A lot of businesses try to get your e-mail or other contact info so they can swamp you with junk mail (or junk e-mail, text messages, etc.) Those of us who don't care to participate either say "No." when they ask for a contact info, or we just make something up. If I am feeling particularly irritated I'll read off a number like "987-654-3210. How's that?" which makes it clear it's a fake number; other times I will just make something up; most of the time I just say "No." in a firm tone that doesn't admit argument.

I am willing to bet someone did just this, and it so happened that the fake number they made up was yours.
Or it was a "friend" of yours that knows your # and rattled it off for the clerk.

Old 02-26-2018, 07:48 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,535,425 times
Yeah, it was most likely someone that just used your phone #. They were asked for their savings cards phone # and didn't have one so they rattled off your number because they knew you shopped there.

Old 02-26-2018, 08:41 AM

2,743 posts, read 4,827,742 times
Another good "fake" phone number that is an actual working number:
(area code) 555-1212
This is the number for telephone information ... for that specific area code.
Since it's a working number, it can be used on websites that might be set to reject obviously false ones like 123-456-7890

And if asked, I just respond, "Sorry, it's a company phone and unlisted so I can't give it out".
Nobody has ever questioned that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones