Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you a "wallhugger?" (Someone who's always plugged in)
Yes, my phone is always plugged in. 2 4.65%
Most of the time my phone is plugged in. 7 16.28%
Not really, I'll plug in occasionally. 16 37.21%
No, I only plug in when I'm really short on battery. 18 41.86%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2018, 10:37 AM

12,788 posts, read 8,279,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshabrady View Post
Thanks.

So in addition to that, my Beat Wireless won't turn on. I bought a cheaper model to test (and out of frustration that this is the second Beats that no longer works, I refuse to buy another for $100 plus) and that won't work either - which now leads me to believe that there is an additional problem with my phone -
Yeah, at some point the phone stops responding to any earbuds. My last phone was dropped in water and shortly after that I started having problems with the earbuds, but it lasted until the battery started going. Only then did I upgrade.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2018, 10:42 AM

2,179 posts, read 1,859,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Yeah, at some point the phone stops responding to any earbuds. My last phone was dropped in water and shortly after that I started having problems with the earbuds, but it lasted until the battery started going. Only then did I upgrade.
That's what I'm afraid of. I hate being forced to upgrade. I currently don't have a contract and only pay $58 a month. I'm really trying to keep it that way before being sucked into the black hole that is Verizon again.

Old 06-05-2018, 10:49 AM

Quote:
That's what I'm afraid of. I hate being forced to upgrade. I currently don't have a contract and only pay $58 a month. I'm really trying to keep it that way before being sucked into the black hole that is Verizon again.
$58 is REALLY good. I pay about $132 a month with taxes, etc. for the unlimited plan with them.

Old 06-05-2018, 11:00 AM

Quote:
$58 is REALLY good. I pay about $132 a month with taxes, etc. for the unlimited plan with them.
Yeah, I couldn't tell you how I'm paying that little, I also get a corporate discount but that really takes care of the taxes - I should note it's not unlimited data.

Old 06-05-2018, 11:08 AM

3,696 posts, read 2,893,180 times
I generally try not to be a "wall hugger" but my phone's battery is going.

I have a LG V20 which I've had for about a year and a half. The battery life on it has had noticeable decline since I've owned it and I've replaced the battery once already.

I am planning on replacing it with the LG V30 Plus but got laid off from my job so that is kinda on hold right now since I want to get an unlocked phone.

I'm wallhugging after I've been using the phone for any length of time over 15 minutes. It's probably pretty amusing (or annoying) to watch me in airports on the floor attached to the wall. I will unplug if I see someone else needs to plug in.

Old 06-05-2018, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Yeah, I couldn't tell you how I'm paying that little, I also get a corporate discount but that really takes care of the taxes - I should note it's not unlimited data.
Well there's you answer.

Old 06-05-2018, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Well there's you answer.
dam, I don't feel special anymore - lol. I refuse to, I already find it annoying how everything you do, they try to get you to download an app. I refuse, I will not live my life through an App (see how far this approach will get me)

Old 06-05-2018, 11:45 AM

965 posts, read 1,113,365 times
Quote:
Thanks.

So in addition to that, my Beat Wireless won't turn on. I bought a cheaper model to test (and out of frustration that this is the second Beats that no longer works, I refuse to buy another for $100 plus) and that won't work either - which now leads me to believe that there is an additional problem with my phone -
The easiest way to test this if you have any other device with Bluetooth, which should be most electronics. Bluetooth failing twice in a row on your headset is super unlikely. Not sure if your work laptop has bluetooth, or a laptop at home. (Assuming you haven't already tried to pair with another device; it's worth a shot if you haven't.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie Joseph View Post
I generally try not to be a "wall hugger" but my phone's battery is going.

I have a LG V20 which I've had for about a year and a half. The battery life on it has had noticeable decline since I've owned it and I've replaced the battery once already.

I am planning on replacing it with the LG V30 Plus but got laid off from my job so that is kinda on hold right now since I want to get an unlocked phone.

I'm wallhugging after I've been using the phone for any length of time over 15 minutes. It's probably pretty amusing (or annoying) to watch me in airports on the floor attached to the wall. I will unplug if I see someone else needs to plug in.
At least you are a considerate wallhugger!

Back when I first got my Note 4 in Jan 2015, out of the box (before rooting) the phone would only get 3 - 4 hours of screen time. Today, I can get between 5 and 7 hours of actual screen run time, which is good enough for a 24 hour day. It's crazy how over the years with software improvements and some modifications, battery performance actually got better. It took lots of tinkering, but I got there. I love Samsung, but all that unnecessary bloat was really killing performance. Sometimes less is more. Samsung of today has gotten much better with optimizing. I wonder how the Note 8 stacks up in battery life.

After a year and a half, I swap the battery out for a new one to keep things fresh. I unplugged at 7:30. Listened to some music, read a few articles on the ride to work, and mostly been idle since 9:30. Still have 90% in the tank. Without the tweaks, I'd probably be at 80%, or less.

On the iPhone side, they have smaller batteries in comparison, but the optimization between the hardware and software gives them an edge in some forms. iPhone definitely has the better standby time, but when it comes to the screen being on, Android pulls ahead.

Edit: By screen run time, for those who don't have Android, in your battery stats, it will show you how long your screen has actually been on. Over the course the day or two, it will add up the time you had on and show you a value. iPhone calculates battery "usage" collectively in the past 24 hours. They don't have a physical metric.

I use the screen time metric to determine if my battery is kicking the bucket.

Old 06-05-2018, 12:07 PM

[quote=RadeonHD4250;52106638]The easiest way to test this if you have any other device with Bluetooth, which should be most electronics. Bluetooth failing twice in a row on your headset is super unlikely. Not sure if your work laptop has bluetooth, or a laptop at home. (Assuming you haven't already tried to pair with another device; it's worth a shot if you haven't.)

The cheaper wireless headset connects to my Ipad, no issues (it does not connect with my Iphone - which leads me to believe my phone may have and issue as well.

The Beats works on both phone and Ipad but only only when connected to a power source. Basically the Beats will not turn on at all otherwise.

Old 06-05-2018, 12:14 PM

1,602 posts, read 1,913,614 times
Do you plug in overnight? Yep. I'm kind of OCD about charging. If I am sitting at my desk, in bed, or on the couch, the phone is plugged in. I have chargers everywhere. I don't need to charge as often as I do, but I like doing it, especially since most modern phones no longer "overcharge".
Do you only charge once you reach a certain level? Not really. If I'm sitting somewhere that I have a charger set up, I'm generally plugged in.
What model of phone do you have? (ie, not the brand, the actual model such as: iPhone 6S, Galaxy Note 8, Pixel XL, etc) iPhone 8, which replaced an iPhone 6S in April
How often are you using the phone? Moderately throughout the day (just texting and IG), a lot at home (while I'm watching TV I'm usually browsing social media and if I get a hair to look something up, it's on my phone. On my commute, I don't listen to music, but I'm generally reading via Kindle app.
Do you have many social media apps? FB, IG, LinkedIn
What battery percentage are you usually around by the time you get home? 90s
Do you conduct actual business on your phone? I check and respond to work emails but that's about it. It's a personal phone not a work phone.
Have you ever had your battery replaced? No, haven't replaced a battery on any of my iPhones. I tend to replace the phone itself when the battery starts to go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones