Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2018, 12:36 PM

6,639 posts, read 4,572,023 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindi Waters View Post
Here is what I want. (And thanks for all the answers.) I want to make hands-free calls, and receive them as well as hearing directions on my phone's gps. I bought one attachment for the cell phone that would be attached to the vents, but that didn't work because the neck kept falling over. So no use there. At first I thought that I could also tune in to my favorite radio programs while doing all that, but now I realize that's not possible. Today I think <g> I'm deciding to forego the entire thing and just make do with the cell phone, including its gps system. So now I have to figure out how can I use a blue tooth ear device. I guess I can always look on youtube and hope I understand the directions. Glad Walmart took back one of the gizmos without any problem, even though I couldn't fit the thing back in the plastic packaging.
whatever the method (blu-tooth, aux-in, fm-transmitter, wi-fi, ...), one would be channeling the audio output of a device to an amplified receiver.

fone calls are more difficult because they are full-duplex, but as long as the micro-fone is close enough, one should be able to hear fone conversations thru the cars speakers and speak loud enough so that the micro-fone on the celullar tele-fone can pick up ones voice.

on my car, the blu-tooth micro-fone is on the sun-visor 4 inches above my head so i dont need to shout.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2018, 12:22 AM

1,994 posts, read 1,259,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
There are better options IF you do have an Aux-in.

Bluetooth - Aux
I don't know what an aux-in is. Is that a plug in such as I would be charging my phone?

Old 06-23-2018, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
whatever the method (blu-tooth, aux-in, fm-transmitter, wi-fi, ...), one would be channeling the audio output of a device to an amplified receiver.

fone calls are more difficult because they are full-duplex, but as long as the micro-fone is close enough, one should be able to hear fone conversations thru the cars speakers and speak loud enough so that the micro-fone on the celullar tele-fone can pick up ones voice.

on my car, the blu-tooth micro-fone is on the sun-visor 4 inches above my head so i dont need to shout.
OK, because I know that I often don't give good reception if I'm speaking on the speaker of the phone, so I was wondering about that if I add it to my fm transmitter. The only thing is I don't want to hold the phone in my hands while driving as it can be against the law, but I also know that the transmission may not be so good if I try to use it on speaker.

Old 06-23-2018, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
There is one other option at least. You can replace the head unit in your car which will give you all of the capabilities you want. It does cost more of course but not that much. There are entry level units available for around $100-$150 plus the installation. You will be able to hear the radio, take/receive calls and listen to the gps. The other option as you mention is use ear phones.
Here's the problem with that. I got an R title from a lot that sells recovered cars from theft, etc. and for some nice reason sirius xm radio is in what I think you're calling the head unit. When I brought the car to the audio shop, he said they could take out the unit, but then if they do so, I'd lose the Sirius setup. I mentioned this, and he said that sometimes the original owner would buy lifetime Sirius, so that's why I have it. So I didn't want to lose that aspect of it. Otherwise, I'd replace the unit. I notice even if I use headphones the listener has trouble hearing me through the microphone part. I guess I could try again.

Old 06-23-2018, 08:29 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,473,517 times
Quote:
OK, because I know that I often don't give good reception if I'm speaking on the speaker of the phone, so I was wondering about that if I add it to my fm transmitter. The only thing is I don't want to hold the phone in my hands while driving as it can be against the law, but I also know that the transmission may not be so good if I try to use it on speaker.
From the sounds of this it's the mic on the phone that is the problem. Two things to consider when using the phone as a speakerphone, the distance that you are from the mic and road noise. Both of those will affect the way the other party can hear you.

Quote:
Here's the problem with that. I got an R title from a lot that sells recovered cars from theft, etc. and for some nice reason sirius xm radio is in what I think you're calling the head unit. When I brought the car to the audio shop, he said they could take out the unit, but then if they do so, I'd lose the Sirius setup. I mentioned this, and he said that sometimes the original owner would buy lifetime Sirius, so that's why I have it. So I didn't want to lose that aspect of it. Otherwise, I'd replace the unit. I notice even if I use headphones the listener has trouble hearing me through the microphone part. I guess I could try again.
You will have to decide what is more important to you. You could also use some bluetooth earphones. They are wireless and most of them have a mic. That way your could keep your car's sound system as it is and still do hand's free calling. You would be able to hear the gps and music from your phone as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones