Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2018, 08:36 PM

6,509 posts, read 8,446,315 times

Advertisements

I had to find out for myself. I did not have any data so I added 3 GB for $20. Then I launched the app and it told me that I was using Sponsored Data.

That is the good part, plus the price. The bad part, of course, is the fact that WatchTV only works on one screen. The on demand catalog for movies has the same titles. There are 30 channels. You also get AT&T's own programming, which is somewhat interesting. Feels more like the type of stuff Verizon does with Go90 than it does Hulu or Netflix.

You could get the cheapest package for $35 a month and add this on and have cable TV for $50.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2018, 08:45 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,532,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
You could get the cheapest package for $35 a month and add this on and have cable TV for $50.
I believe that you get a $15 discount on Direct TV Now if you have an AT&T cell phone, but I am not sure what is the minimum package. If you get it with the cheapest package for $35, then you could get the $35: 65+ channel package and have cable TV with a reasonable selection of sports and channels for $55 a month.

I could be wrong as you may need the unlimited data package to get the $15 discount.

Old 07-24-2018, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
I believe that you get a $15 discount on Direct TV Now if you have an AT&T cell phone, but I am not sure what is the minimum package. If you get it with the cheapest package for $35, then you could get the $35: 65+ channel package and have cable TV with a reasonable selection of sports and channels for $55 a month.

I could be wrong as you may need the unlimited data package to get the $15 discount.
Prepaid does not get a discount on DirecTV Now. Post paid gets a discount, as long as you have unlimited.

The trial is 10 days. I thought it was only 7 days. I'm not complaining though. For me it is worth it. But I would like to add premium services like HBO on top of my subscription. That is only available on DirecTV Now.

Old 07-26-2018, 10:57 PM

Quote:
The trial is 10 days. I thought it was only 7 days. I'm not complaining though. For me it is worth it.
Paying $15 for WatchTV is OK if the data is sponsored. Was it only sponsored for the free trial period?

Quote:
But I would like to add premium services like HBO on top of my subscription. That is only available on DirecTV Now.
I think it is $5 for HBO if you have a DirectTV Now package (starting price $40). Total $45.

But if you have $15 WatchTV you can still opt to pay full price or $15 for HBO Now. Total $30, but no sports and single viewer only.

Old 07-27-2018, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Paying $15 for WatchTV is OK if the data is sponsored. Was it only sponsored for the free trial period?

I think it is $5 for HBO if you have a DirectTV Now package (starting price $40). Total $45.

But if you have $15 WatchTV you can still opt to pay full price or $15 for HBO Now. Total $30, but no sports and single viewer only.
I'm still in the trial period so I don't know. I imagine it would be.

I thought there was a way to add on premium channels I just don't know how to do it. The way it is structured, it is cheaper to just get Direct TV Now and pay the $5. Sort of dumb to stick with one screen when you can pay that extra $10 and get additional channels.

Old 07-28-2018, 07:13 PM

Quote:
I'm still in the trial period so I don't know. I imagine it would be.

I thought there was a way to add on premium channels I just don't know how to do it. The way it is structured, it is cheaper to just get Direct TV Now and pay the $5. Sort of dumb to stick with one screen when you can pay that extra $10 and get additional channels.
In particular if the TV is all sponsored data, and you don't need the "unlimited data" plan to watch DirectTV Now.

For those people who don't need unlimited data for work, they are pretty much getting scammed if they are getting the $70 or $80 unlimited plan just for free WatchTV.

As the $15 discount on Direct TV Now was available before the merger, I am leaning more and more towards the view that WatchTV is kind of a trick to assure federal regulators that they didn't make a mistake by permitting the merger to go through.

I can see it being of value to some people. The 21 year old who lives alone, or spends a lot of time on the road and is only interested in the news and a little bit of Live TV can buy the $80 service and use the hotspot to run their laptop, watch video in high definition, and use a long HDMI cable to view on a larger screen without paying for WiFi.

Old 07-31-2018, 06:33 PM

Quote:
In particular if the TV is all sponsored data, and you don't need the "unlimited data" plan to watch DirectTV Now.

For those people who don't need unlimited data for work, they are pretty much getting scammed if they are getting the $70 or $80 unlimited plan just for free WatchTV.

As the $15 discount on Direct TV Now was available before the merger, I am leaning more and more towards the view that WatchTV is kind of a trick to assure federal regulators that they didn't make a mistake by permitting the merger to go through.

I can see it being of value to some people. The 21 year old who lives alone, or spends a lot of time on the road and is only interested in the news and a little bit of Live TV can buy the $80 service and use the hotspot to run their laptop, watch video in high definition, and use a long HDMI cable to view on a larger screen without paying for WiFi.
I agree. It is a niche. Most people will go for more expensive products like DirecTV Now.

Old 08-02-2018, 09:13 PM

Quote:
I agree. It is a niche. Most people will go for more expensive products like DirecTV Now.
Well it sounds like the WatchTV with 31 channels costs $70 for unlimited data plan or $80 if you want to get HBO and HD streaming.

Quote:
I had to find out for myself. I did not have any data so I added 3 GB for $20. Then I launched the app and it told me that I was using Sponsored Data. You could get the cheapest package for $35 a month and add this on and have cable TV for $50.
If I understand you the $35 plan gets you a $15 discount on DirectTV Now and sponsored data. So $35+$40-$15=$60 means you get 65+ channels.

The 31 channels in WatchTV are mostly included as a subset of the 65 channels for "Live a Little" package with only seven exceptions (BBC America, BBC World News, IFC, Sundance TV, Lifetime movie, OWN, FYI). But the 65 channels gives you ABC, NBC, FOX, FOXNEWS, FX, FXX, Disney, ESPN, and others to make it more like traditional cable.

It seems like the better deal, but only if the sponsored data continues forever.

Last edited by PacoMartin; 08-02-2018 at 10:18 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones