Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2018, 11:29 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,315,790 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammocks Bum View Post
I personally ditched the PC a few years back, at home we are 3 adults...We own 3 iPads, 2 iPhones and and HP Laptop...That stays home and never goes anywhere with us,,

We are smart gadgets people from the get go...We dont even pay for Cable...Local TV channels off the AIR and 2 Fire TV Sticks for the Rest..

Just good WiFi signal, and we are good to go..I am 68, wife 66 and mother in law (with an i Pad) 93 yrs young.
None of that for me, thanks.

Land line phone. Burner cell phones. Desktop computer running Windows 7. No TV. Library card. Round thermostats (if it's cold, put on a sweater). Electric alarm clocks.

I can't say that I have yet felt the slightest desire to own a "smart" device of any sort. Instead of spending hours fiddling with this stuff all of which soon achieves its planned obsolescence, upon which you feel the need to replace it with more disposable gadgets, we spend our time on other things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2018, 09:41 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,450,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IWLC View Post
My 2 year old Samsung phone had a cracked screen and the battery wouldn't hold a charge, so I took it in to the Verizon store, where I bought it. They told me they no longer carry the glass or batteries for my ancient phone. I figured I wouldn't mind a new one. OMG! maybe I'm more clueless than everyone else, but I couldn't imagine the cheapest Samsung would be over 800 dollars - for something that probably cost 20 to make by slave labor. I could buy 2 laptops for that price.

That, of course was only the beginning. The protective cover - $30 (for a bit of rubber worth 50c). I declined the piece of screen protector plastic for $40. Then there was the $30 charge because the phone was an upgrade. I got the monthly repair insurance.

Finally, the sales person told me my bill would be less than I'm paying now - $113. I just looked up my monthly charge. It's going to be $138.

But, lucky me, they gave me $5 off my purchase because I'm over 55. Because of course Verizon knows every detail of my freaking life.

I swear to god, everywhere you turn some company or other is trying to suck as much out of you as possible. They must train their employees at used car lots. Was it REALLY so bad before we even imagined carrying a phone around? The phone cost 35 bucks and the monthly bill was 20.
Yeah that sounds about right because you bought the latest and greatest Samsung phone. Which you don't need. Samsung has cheaper phones around $200 you could have bought. You can get a screen protector for $10.

Don't pay a lot for the phone, pay a lot for the services. You get a phone that, by itself, is $50 a month of course you're going to pay over $100 once you add in taxes and fees, and insurance, and the actual data plan for that phone. You could have gotten the free phone and ended up paying like $70 to $85 a month, or went prepaid and buy your phone outright. If you're going to pay $138 a month anyway why not find a $300 phone and get it out of the way by paying that upfront, and then you're only paying for what you actually do with the phone and insurance? The $800 phone is faster and has more memory, but are you really using it in a way that you need it?

Old 09-26-2018, 08:56 PM

8,342 posts, read 6,425,125 times
I'm new to cellphones, I looked up the various phone companies websites and a few months ago several had iphone 6 for $200. I got Cricket and pay $30 a month unlimited talk and text, 2 GB of data, very happy. I learned it with the help of the helpful Cricket guy and friends way faster than I thought. I did have a tablet before.

Old 09-29-2018, 06:08 PM

3,551 posts, read 2,531,605 times
Quote:
My 2 year old Samsung phone had a cracked screen and the battery wouldn't hold a charge, so I took it in to the Verizon store, where I bought it. They told me they no longer carry the glass or batteries for my ancient phone. I figured I wouldn't mind a new one. OMG! maybe I'm more clueless than everyone else, but I couldn't imagine the cheapest Samsung would be over 800 dollars - for something that probably cost 20 to make by slave labor. I could buy 2 laptops for that price.
You were taken in by a deceitful verizon store if they told you that was the cheapest samsung phone. Today on Verizons website, the Samsung Galaxy J3V cost is 7 dollars a month for 24 months, or $168, this phone or a similar model has always been available thru Verizon for the last several years. What you got was the top of the line Samsung phone probably the S9.

Old 08-30-2020, 12:40 PM

24,767 posts, read 28,517,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
Duct tape a candle to it.
No duck tape.. just drip wax on the phone.. sticks great

Old 08-31-2020, 05:41 AM

3,782 posts, read 4,246,948 times
Going into a provider cell phone store (Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile, Sprint) is as dangerous to your intelligence and wallet as walking in a Walmart parking lot two days before Christmas is as dangerous to your body. Not sure if any of the sales people could find their rear ends with a flashlight and two mirrors.

SWAPPA is a great place to purchase (or sell) used cell phones. I have sold quite a few and after six months a 600 buck cell phone in perfect condition will only sell for between 200-300 bucks (depending on the model).

Old 09-04-2020, 09:32 AM

1,455 posts, read 2,497,068 times
Perhaps it's time to look around? I just purchased a Samsung A71 with AT&T for $300 (on contract, 2 years). It's one down from the Flagship but has a lot of really great features including true 5G. Very happy with it. And the phone case? $7.99 on Amazon. In store they were $30.

Old 09-04-2020, 10:11 AM

50,787 posts, read 24,289,888 times
Quote:

That, of course was only the beginning. The protective cover - $30 (for a bit of rubber worth 50c). I declined the piece of screen protector plastic for $40. Then there was the $30 charge because the phone was an upgrade. I got the monthly repair insurance.

Finally, the sales person told me my bill would be less than I'm paying now - $113. I just looked up my monthly charge. It's going to be $138.

But, lucky me, they gave me $5 off my purchase because I'm over 55. Because of course Verizon knows every detail of my freaking life.

I swear to god, everywhere you turn some company or other is trying to suck as much out of you as possible. They must train their employees at used car lots. Was it REALLY so bad before we even imagined carrying a phone around? The phone cost 35 bucks and the monthly bill was 20.
That pales in comparison to my experience with Verizon customer service.

Old 09-05-2020, 10:35 AM

291 posts, read 109,183 times
ive only used a smartphone once in my life, it was an iPhone 5 that came with lots of malware on it. i had no idea about it till i got my first bill since getting that phone off the side of the road, most of the bill was internet usage, even though i dont use cell internet. thats when i called it quits for high tech monsters and went back to good ol not-so-easy to infect flip phones

Old 09-08-2020, 05:27 AM

2,266 posts, read 3,714,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
That pales in comparison to my experience with Verizon customer service.
While I love Verizons service and coverage, you wouldn't catch me dead walking into a Verizon store. There is nothing they can do to my phone that I, or an Apple store, can't do. If by chance I need something fixed with my account, I can call in.

My job paid for my unlocked 11 Pro, so no need to even bother with VZW. When I bought my Mrs hers, I ordered it online. Still no need to go in. And I certainly didn't buy any of the accessories from VZW. Amazon is my best friend for stuff like that.

And as a sidenote, you'd be surprised at what it actually costs to make the upper tier cell phones. It's certainly not the price they sell it for, but it's not $20 either, not by a long shot. The screens alone cost more than that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones