Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2018, 08:23 AM

1,680 posts, read 2,555,141 times

Advertisements

Curious as to why this happens -

I receive email on both my iphone 7 and on my home computer (windows 7). I did not sync them because I am not interested in having everything on my iphone such as pictures also going to my home computer.

What I noticed is that if I download my emails on my home computer and send them to the trash bin, all of these emails still download to my iphone. However, if I download the emails first to my iphone and send them to the trash bin - none of these deleted emails will show up to be downloaded on my home computer.

So, if I view an email on my iphone first and want to save it on my home computer I don't send it to trash until after I go to my home computer and download it.

Just wondering why it works this way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2018, 10:14 AM

16,540 posts, read 19,668,514 times
You need to not think in terms of 'downloading' or not being in synch.
Your emails ARE synched both places. You just don't need to do anything.
UNLESS you have a setting on your PC that does download all the email FROM the server. This is not common and is a bad way to handle your email anyway.

What are you using to read mail on your PC?

Old 11-28-2018, 12:34 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,537,472 times
I have my comcast app on my phone and outlook on my computer. If I delete an email on my app before I update outlook the email is gone as far as outlook is concerned. If I update outlook it has no effect on my comcast app emails. Totally normal. Comcast is my email source, not outlook.

Old 11-28-2018, 12:56 PM
KCZ

4,662 posts, read 3,657,222 times
Is Comcast your Email provider? If so, when you delete your Email from the Comcast app on your phone, you're deleting the Email from the Comcast server as well as the app, and Poof, it's gone. When you delete the Email from Outlook, you're just removing it from the Outlook program, and it's still on the Comcast server so you can see it on the Comcast app.

Old 11-28-2018, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
Is Comcast your Email provider? If so, when you delete your Email from the Comcast app on your phone, you're deleting the Email from the Comcast server as well as the app, and Poof, it's gone. When you delete the Email from Outlook, you're just removing it from the Outlook program, and it's still on the Comcast server so you can see it on the Comcast app.

We have a winner! Yes that is exactly what is happening. I have Comcast email and I have outlook on my home computer.

Mystery solved.

Old 11-29-2018, 08:19 AM

16,540 posts, read 19,668,514 times
and this is why I asked what you use so we could find the setting to make it behave properly.

In Outlook, it will delete from the server when you empty the Deleted Items folder.

Old 11-30-2018, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
and this is why I asked what you use so we could find the setting to make it behave properly.

In Outlook, it will delete from the server when you empty the Deleted Items folder.

Thanks for the heads-up on what will happen if I empty the outlook trash bin first - nice to know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones