Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2019, 01:56 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,691,254 times

Advertisements

Switching to ATT is a big no for me. Of the 2 big evils, ATT takes the win as most evil with its billing practices. You'll be paying for a lot of hidden fees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2019, 02:47 PM
exm

3,720 posts, read 1,779,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
I’m sure you’re right. I just consider the 7 to be a great value. It performs well, takes good quality pictures and the speakers are surpringly good. Coming from a 5s the OP is going to be wowed by the 7 and for an addition $300 she will be wowed by the XR.

The 7 is a great phone unless you try the XR. Go to the Apple store and try it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Switching to ATT is a big no for me. Of the 2 big evils, ATT takes the win as most evil with its billing practices. You'll be paying for a lot of hidden fees.

The company I work for happened to be bought by ATT so the employee discount is something I couldn't ignore.

Old 01-03-2019, 03:29 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,541,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exm View Post
The 7 is a great phone unless you try the XR. Go to the Apple store and try it.

im sure your right. I replaced my 7 two months ago when I lost my previous 7 camping in October, so it will be a while before I upgrade. At $450 it’s all the phone I need.

Last edited by Mr5150; 01-03-2019 at 03:39 PM..

Old 01-03-2019, 03:36 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,541,306 times
Quote:
Maybe things are different in NYC, but inCA the “hidden” fees and taxes amounted to less than $5 a month for two lines and their 5gig plan.

Old 01-04-2019, 12:08 PM

8,411 posts, read 7,419,137 times
I would suggest going to the Apple store or cell phone store and comparing side by side. I bought a 8 and a XR. I would say that if you are on a budget go with at least the 8. If you care more about the camera and speed, go with the XR.

Old 01-07-2019, 12:32 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,691,254 times
If you're gonna get the XR, I would wait a few more months as the XR has not sold well and the 1st initial discount is nothing more than a trade in offer which isn't really a discount on paper. If you wait til Spring or summer Apple will be more aggressive with discounts as the XR will most likely not meet sales expectations to clear their inventory.

Apple ordered some 70mil XR and have only sold less than 30million XR, so they got a huge inventory to get rid of.

Old 01-07-2019, 03:58 PM

1,570 posts, read 1,378,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladywithafan View Post
Thank you I'm keeping it as a back up phone at this point - I know the battery takes a big hit while doing my property inspections (photos) with fast drain in an hour. It doesn't drain as much with phone calls. I paid $699 back in May of 2014.

Everyone's given great feedback as well.

I'm leaning towards the XR due to it having the newest processor/speed and definitely all the bang for buck. Then I thought it may be really cool to have dual cameras...

Dual cameras aren't new to just the latest/greatest apple phones are they? My 2014 LG V20 has dual cameras with 16 mp resolution. I like iphones a lot, but I'm just too dang cheap to buy one. I don't buy new phones of any brand actually, lol. I buy used phones from ebay or swappa. Ebay is selling new factory sealed Xrs for $679. Is this a better deal than the retailers offer?

Old 01-07-2019, 08:04 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,101,062 times
Quote:
If you're gonna get the XR, I would wait a few more months as the XR has not sold well and the 1st initial discount is nothing more than a trade in offer which isn't really a discount on paper. If you wait til Spring or summer Apple will be more aggressive with discounts as the XR will most likely not meet sales expectations to clear their inventory.

Apple ordered some 70mil XR and have only sold less than 30million XR, so they got a huge inventory to get rid of.
But by then, you'll be 2-4 months away from whatever Apple rolls out in the fall and the XR will be a year old!

I'm going to try that logic on my wife, since she's been telling me to hold off on buying an XR until after tax season.

Old 01-08-2019, 11:56 AM
exm

3,720 posts, read 1,779,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janellen View Post
Dual cameras aren't new to just the latest/greatest apple phones are they? My 2014 LG V20 has dual cameras with 16 mp resolution. I like iphones a lot, but I'm just too dang cheap to buy one. I don't buy new phones of any brand actually, lol. I buy used phones from ebay or swappa. Ebay is selling new factory sealed Xrs for $679. Is this a better deal than the retailers offer?

I would buy a new one from a retailer to make sure Apple honors the warranty, but that's me.

The greatest improvement on the XRs camera is Smart HDR.

Old 01-08-2019, 12:08 PM

780 posts, read 425,120 times
I think we all need to stop looking at these as 'phones' and start looking at them for what they are: 'mobile computing devices'.

People incessantly complain about the prices on these devices, as if they're still buying a Nokia flip phone from 2001, yet paying for a laptop. If all you're doing is making phone calls and texting, then by all means, please do not invest in a smartphone. They still sell new flip phones and basic cell phones for less than $100.

I literally use my iPhone 8 more than any other device I own, including my Macbook Pro.

I pay bills on it
I record workouts and track health stats with it (paired with my Apple Watch)
I watch sports, movies, and tv shows on it
I listen to music and podcasts on it
I use it to pay when I eat out or go to a bar
I navigate with it
I compile emails and organize my calendar with it
I read the news on it
I play games on it
I book flights on it
I request Uber/Lyft rides on it
I exchange payments among friends on it
I shop on it
I invest on it
I connect via social media on it
I check the local weather on it
I cloud compute on it
I manage a massive photo album with it
And last, but certainly not least, I use C-D on it

So anyone who complains about the cost of these devices as if they are supposed to be archaic flip phones needs to re-evaluate their needs for a smart phone. This is not a phone, it is a mobile computing device.

As far as OP's suggestion request, I love my iPhone 8. It's reliably built and has some of the best features that a smart phone offers today, and you can get it for a discount either used or new since it's not the latest iteration. I don't think the updated features on the X lineup are worth the additional cost at this time unless you absolutely need to be cutting edge.

Last edited by Sir Quotes A Lot; 01-08-2019 at 12:22 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones