Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2018, 09:30 AM

5,643 posts, read 15,696,897 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I have an old iPhone 4s without a carrier and I have another iPhone X with a carrier (Sprint). I was wondering if I could somehow do the following with my 4s despite not having a carrier:
  1. Receive, send text messages to friends using my same contact as iPhoneX
  2. Receive and make phone calls using the same phone number assigned to my iPhone X (so my wife will answer if I call from the 4s)
  3. Use internet/listen to streaming music/podcasts
  4. All must be able to do outside around the perimeter of my house (1/4 acre)
  5. If someone calls or texts me on my iphone X number, I need to have that forwarded or notify me on my 4s. Then, if I do receive and acknowledge it on my 4s, I need my iPhone X to not display or show it as a new notification on my iPhone (sort of like IMAP with email) when I check it later.

The whole point of this request is so I can carry basic phone/web/messaging tools with me around the perimeter of my house as I work outdoors (the light-weight 4s fits perfectly in work pants side pockets). Also, I don't want to worry about damaging an expensive iPhone X and the constant checking of my phone whenever I get some kind of notification

Lastly, I am assuming I will need to get some kind of wifi extender for boosting WIFI to outside of the home?

Thanks...I am guessing this is a simple request but I haven't been keeping up with industry!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2018, 10:48 AM

9,455 posts, read 12,523,503 times
No is the short answer with no carrier

You can use WiFi for internet stuff but that’s it.

Just get a decent case for the X and pay attention

Old 12-16-2018, 11:42 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,474,026 times
You can use it to text other apple devices over iMessage. It will be the same text account as on the X if you are using the same apple ID to log in. You won't have access to phone calls or SMS text messages.

You might need a wifi extender, or you might just need a better internet router to use it outside your house.

I use my iPhone 4 to play youtube videos at night because it barely lights up the room when I flip it over as opposed to my 7 plus. It would play podcasts too or my iTunes library if I wanted to.

Old 12-16-2018, 01:48 PM

17,696 posts, read 29,754,532 times
Work outside without your phone.
It is highly unlikely that Warren Buffett is going to call with a "act right now to receive this gift of 1 share of BRK.A.

Old 12-17-2018, 06:13 AM

True, I can work outside without the phone...but I use it as a watch and when doing mundane tasks like raking up leaves, I will often listen to podcasts, etc. Also, it's great for working out and not having to lug around your phone. The form factor is perfect, imho.

It's not a big deal...I don't need it. However, I do like the challenge.

As for WIFI and phone calls....what about using Google Voice over WIFI? I think you can set it up so you get a "Google" number which basically is a rerouted number that is dialed when someone calls your actual phone number. It can send VMs, text of voicemails that are left, etc to the alt number.

Old 12-19-2018, 08:49 PM

6,456 posts, read 10,301,424 times
Remember that without a cellular carrier, you have no data unless you are in close proximity of an active WiFi connection. You are not going to have an active connection while driving down the road or in the middle of nowhere.

I seriously doubt you can accomplish what you are thinking of.

Best wishes, if you manage to do so, let us know.

Old 12-20-2018, 06:47 AM

Thanks. I only plan to use it when I am within house WIFI range.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones