U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2019, 06:10 PM

3,682 posts, read 1,897,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
That is not the issue. The issue is that every time I try to use Google, I get prompted about xfinity instead and being a customer. Then I have to go back and try again. This loop seems endless - seen it hundreds of times.

So my carrier took the money from xfinity and turned our internet into a non stop ad. No more updates from those %&^&^&%$s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2019, 06:46 PM

13,780 posts, read 9,287,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoGuy View Post
That is not the issue. The issue is that every time I try to use Google, I get prompted about xfinity instead and being a customer. Then I have to go back and try again. This loop seems endless - seen it hundreds of times.

So my carrier took the money from xfinity and turned our internet into a non stop ad. No more updates from those %&^&^&%$s.
It sounds like you bought one of those phones through Xfinity and it is carrier locked. I know Xfinity was selling heavy discounted Android and iPhones with a catch and that is what you're getting. Being forced to use a device that has Xfinity's bloatware.

You get what you paid for. I personally always buy unlocked devices that does not have any bloatware, I don't owe carriers or mfg a dime.

Old 01-10-2019, 08:17 AM

11,825 posts, read 13,966,567 times
What phone are we talking about?

Old 01-10-2019, 01:51 PM

11,322 posts, read 17,871,223 times
Quote:

Can you post a picture of what happens when you open the web browser? Because your description sounds to me like it's trying to connect to Xfinity wifi which it wants you to pay for.

Also it always helps to post the model of the phone, as Peregrine asked for.

Old 01-11-2019, 08:24 AM

11,825 posts, read 13,966,567 times
Quote:
Can you post a picture of what happens when you open the web browser? Because your description sounds to me like it's trying to connect to Xfinity wifi which it wants you to pay for.

Exactly what I am thinking. Not the 'pay for' part, but example; when I had Spectrum Internet at home it also included free access to Spectrum WiFi hotspots around town. I connected to one at a bar once... and any time after that if I was near one "Would you like to connect to Spectrum Wifi?"
It was very annoying.

Old 01-11-2019, 09:10 AM

13,325 posts, read 20,374,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Exactly what I am thinking. Not the 'pay for' part, but example; when I had Spectrum Internet at home it also included free access to Spectrum WiFi hotspots around town. I connected to one at a bar once... and any time after that if I was near one "Would you like to connect to Spectrum Wifi?"
It was very annoying.
That has to be it. Maybe his phone is trying to connect to xfinitywifi instead of their own WiFi.

Old 01-11-2019, 10:20 AM

Quote:

Also it always helps to post the model of the phone, as Peregrine asked for.
Can't do that. I am a very minimal user of smart phone capabilities. Was forced to use it for internet while on a business trip. The xfinity bloatware annoyed the living hell out of me.

As for the person that thought I bought an "xfinity phone". No I bought an unlocked phone then enabled it for through my carrier. All was fine until I did their "update."

Samsung Galaxy Note Edge 7. That info had been posted previously.

Old 01-11-2019, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Can't do that. I am a very minimal user of smart phone capabilities. Was forced to use it for internet while on a business trip. The xfinity bloatware annoyed the living hell out of me.

As for the person that thought I bought an "xfinity phone". No I bought an unlocked phone then enabled it for through my carrier. All was fine until I did their "update."

Samsung Galaxy Note Edge 7. That info had been posted previously.
To take a screenshot, you'd press the power and home button at the same time.

https://www.verizonwireless.com/supp...e-base-136513/

You could email that picture to yourself and attach it to a post here using the paperclip icon, if you want more help from anybody.

Did you check the wifi settings in the link I posted earlier? It won't hurt you, and it might solve your problem.

Sometimes updates will change your phone settings, and that can be annoying, it's true.

Old 01-11-2019, 04:36 PM

It doesn't auto-connect to xfinity hotspots. It prompts to become an xfinity customer every time I try to use the internet. I often even can't check the weather without seeing the ad and having to backtrack then try again. Most obnoxious ad ever. Never stops trying either.

Old 01-11-2019, 06:34 PM

Try installing a pop-up blocker. I don't have a droid, so I can't recommend one, but there are some free ones out there.

https://thedroidguy.com/2019/01/5-be...d-2019-1076749
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or