U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2019, 09:55 AM

3,682 posts, read 1,896,947 times

Advertisements

Why? Battery life went down. Data usage went up. Seemed to slow down as well. The worst thing? The absolutely constant reminders to pay extra for xfinity wifi. Why would I do that? My phone has internet. Plus my carrier automatically packages smartphone usage with an internet plan.

Turns out this may be common practice by Apple, Microsoft, and Samsung. Eventually consumers tire and buy the latest phone or computer. Seems quite unethical to me.

So why do updates? If the phone works fine when new then why should we have to do updates? Oh yea, it is for "security". Do it in the name of security. You can justify it in the end.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2019, 10:01 AM

12,434 posts, read 10,901,950 times
Because the majority want updates and new features so they play to the majority.

Old 01-08-2019, 10:11 AM

Is it possible to backdate a phone to the time prior to updates?

I have little interest in smart phones other than their portability. They are virtually a requirement for doing business in the developed world.

Old 01-08-2019, 02:22 PM

12,434 posts, read 10,901,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoGuy View Post
Is it possible to backdate a phone to the time prior to updates?

I have little interest in smart phones other than their portability. They are virtually a requirement for doing business in the developed world.
Which phone do you have and what level of computer expertise do you have?

Old 01-08-2019, 02:34 PM

295 posts, read 232,831 times
This probably has to do more with your carrier than the manufacturer. They're the ones that bundle all the carrier related apps and lock them from being uninstalled. An unlocked phone free of any carrier would be your best bet to avoid this.

Old 01-08-2019, 03:05 PM

8,679 posts, read 9,452,941 times
OP You are the first person I have heard this complaint from.

Old 01-08-2019, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
Which phone do you have and what level of computer expertise do you have?
Samsung Galaxy Note Edge 7
Computer expertise? I try hard to avoid geeking out anymore. Put new ink in my printer today - that got messy. My carrier never sold the Samsung 7 so they would be useless if things went sideways.

Old 01-08-2019, 06:55 PM

11,321 posts, read 17,868,522 times
Quote:
Here's how to stop your Samsung phone from auto-connecting to Xfinity WiFi hotspots:

Go to Settings > Connections > WiFi > AdvancedToggle Auto-Connect to Xfinity WiFi to off

Note: Turning off Auto-Connect to Xfinity WiFi will not prevent your Samsung phone from automatically connecting to your home WiFi and other saved networks.

If for some reason your phone is still connecting to Xfinity WiFi hotspots after you’ve turned off Auto-Connect to Xfinity WiFi, try this:

Go to Settings > Connections > WiFi > Advanced > Smart Network SwitchMake sure Smart Network Switch is off.
https://www.xfinity.com/mobile/suppo...y-wifi-hotspot

Old 01-08-2019, 10:11 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,901 posts, read 33,637,170 times
Quote:
The worst thing? The absolutely constant reminders to pay extra for xfinity wifi. Why would I do that?
This is your carrier's doing. Your manufacturer merely allows it.

If you had an iPhone, at least you wouldn't have the unwanted ads.

Old 01-08-2019, 11:19 PM

13,779 posts, read 9,284,325 times
Quote:
Why? Battery life went down. Data usage went up. Seemed to slow down as well. The worst thing? The absolutely constant reminders to pay extra for xfinity wifi. Why would I do that? My phone has internet. Plus my carrier automatically packages smartphone usage with an internet plan.

Turns out this may be common practice by Apple, Microsoft, and Samsung. Eventually consumers tire and buy the latest phone or computer. Seems quite unethical to me.

So why do updates? If the phone works fine when new then why should we have to do updates? Oh yea, it is for "security". Do it in the name of security. You can justify it in the end.
This why rooting a phone and flashing a custom rom becomes a necessity. Many custom roms addresses the exact problems you have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or