Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2019, 12:04 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,549,134 times

Advertisements

I recently gotten a Pixel 3 XL because I would like to try Android Pie out. Sadly was disappointed how Android 9 has very little change from 8 other than some UI changes copied from Apple. I was coming over from Samsung Note 9 which was my daily driver for 4 months.

Right away I noticed the phone was just snappier, not a whole lot but buttery smooth. Note 9 is not slow just some of the transitions and phone responsiveness is a tad slower than the Pixel 3 XL near instant responsiveness. However, I still think the OnePlus 6 is the fastest. I no longer own that phone but that was just blazing quick even faster than iPhone XS.

Anyways, the biggest plus for the Pixel 3 is the camera, just so effortless with taking good pics without having to focus or wait for the camera to detect the scene. The Note 9 has struggled in some night scenes. Even Apple doesn't do many night scenes right compare to Pixel 3.

Ram management is another disappointment for me because it only had 4GB and needed to close background apps where the OnePlus 6 had 8GB I rarely close some apps, the Note 9 had 6GB and I could keep many apps running and switched back and forth easily.

The biggest disappointment for me is the price, it is priced so high for what you can get today for 1/2 price. OnePlus 6. I wasn't blown away by the screen, the battery life was about the same as OnePlus 6 and even Pixel 2 XL. I know you're getting Google Now built in but I used Alexa more at home and on the road I don't really care about it.

The phone feels slightly heavier than the Pixel 2 XL, probably because they've added the wireless charging. I was having an issue with the charging, it seems that it only charges faster if you use a 10kw charger than other QuickCharge 3 chargers.

Screen wise you can't beat the iPhone XS and Note 9. Performance wise, the OnePlus 6 is unbeatable. As for camera, all 4 takes excellent pics but Pixel 3 has the best of the bunch due to better processing.

It seems Samsung Note 9 is the more feature packed phone. OnePlus 6 is the better performer. I'm struggling to find the value in Pixel 3 XL because it is as expensive as Note 9 but lacks the hardware and value. I only got a Google Home Mini for free with Pixel 3 XL. For the Note 9, I got the AKG wireless headphones ($299 value).

If you can get the phone for about $600, that's what I'm willing to pay for it but not at $800+
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2019, 12:56 PM
JL

8,514 posts, read 14,476,359 times
I wanted the Pixel 3 XL mainly for the camera due to the superb software processing that everyone is telling me. It basically is cheating sort of speak with the hardware it has. I am tired of carrying my mirrorless all the time while on vacation. Don't get me wrong...i still carry my mirrorless on vacation, but during my vacation at times, i didn't want to whip out my mirrorless in my backpack and just wanted a quick very nice pic of something i saw right away. This is why i wanted the 3XL, but the price was too high.

I decided to get a Pixel 2XL($370) and waiting for it to arrive. I bought it on Ebay 'new' 'mint' condition with free 30 day return. I am looking forward to receiving it soon. I am hearing the Huawei Mate 20 has an outstanding camera too and many consider it the best phone of 2018 overall.

Old 01-13-2019, 06:58 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,549,134 times
You won't be disappointed with the camera, it's not gonna replace your DSLR for closeups and telescopic shots but most situations it'll do just fine. It does lose a lot of details on distant objects.

Old 01-14-2019, 08:11 AM

16,482 posts, read 19,520,983 times
Why did you bail on the Op 6? I just got a 6t I am head over heels in love with.

Old 01-14-2019, 08:45 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,430,087 times
I got the 3 XL around black friday when it was on sale for $700. I had it and the 6T at the same time and returned the 6T due to the superior camera on the 3 XL. If I had to pay full price for the 3 XL I'd have probably stuck with the 6T.

Old 08-15-2019, 11:04 AM

66 posts, read 46,781 times
Bought the Pixel 3 XL, currently still paying on it monthly and the headphones broke. Im sharing this so people know that they might break and not work anymore. I dont know if it was in an update to trigger people to buy wireless? It being only USB-C, and no 3.5mm headphone jack, I cant use anything else. I've just been using my old pixel for running and music. My old phone works fine, it just cant make calls from an update. Thats the reason why I had to buy the new Pixel 3... see the pattern? lol The new pixel 4 is coming out or is, is that why my headphones stopped working?

Old 08-15-2019, 02:31 PM

16,482 posts, read 19,520,983 times
No, you are just hard on stuff.

https://www.google.com/shopping/prod...TNGDIoQ8wIItQM
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones