Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2019, 01:55 PM

1,765 posts, read 4,348,610 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I don't see a lot of activity here...

I have a 6-month-old MotoG6 I bought unlocked from Best Buy. It suddenly decided to not let me answer ringing calls -- I mean literally the screen dialog box to "Accept" or "Reject" a call disappeared. There is nothing more frustrating than seeing an important call come in that you can't answer!
Spent much time on phone with Motorola rep who said she couldn't help any more and sent me a new phone. I have to switch stuff then send them the old phone back in 5 days or they will charge my credit card.

Anyway... I am having trouble finding information on transferring all the phone stuff -- contacts, email, photos etc. - BETWEEN two of the same phones. In other words, MotoG6 to Moto G6....even the website proffered, motorola.com/transfer does not deal with my issue. I didn't back anything up because I HAVE the old phone still -- I didn't need to take anything out of it before sending it back.

I wanted to just drop this all on a cellphone repair place but the one I always went to (when I had a long-dying Samsung) has just gone out of business and the other one I tried is not real excited about my business or this project...they are Apple/iPad folks primarily. That guy I called thought I could go into Google settings and find some option to just transfer everything to the new phone!

I have a friend who may help but she has a Samsung and I just KNOW there will be some glitch/problem/unintended consequence we run into...which is why I'd much rather deal with a pro.

Any experience with Best Buy techs? Other suggestions? I can't think of anything I possibly HATE more than dealing with this type of issue. I just want phones and computers and cable to WORK -- I don't want to have to deal with problems!!!

Thanks for any thoughts...or if there is a better place outside of C-D to ask.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2019, 08:14 PM

8,342 posts, read 6,428,879 times
Since you got the phone from Best Buy try their Geek Squad. I bought my Chromebook from Best Buy and a Geek Squad guy was real helpful getting me going. But later another guy refused to even answer a question unless I bought their expensive service plan.

Old 01-25-2019, 05:24 AM

66 posts, read 349,526 times
Just go to settings, (gear symbol) then either google services or Motorola settings, (the last two choices and you can do this from either one). Now select Backup On, then backup to Google Drive.
It's probably already on. When you set up your new phone you'll see the option to retrieve all of your info from the cloud.
Good luck with it all.

Old 01-25-2019, 08:20 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,694,332 times
You are making a mountain out of a mole hill. Well you are if you set up a Google account. Most everything is backed up there. Take Sim card from old phone,. start setup process, login to your Gmail account. That's should copy almost everything over. It's taken Google a while to get good at this but they are there now. The only hing that might not come are your photos. But TRY. It will hurt nothing to do what I described. You can always swap the sim card back to old phone and be right back where you were.
Do NOT pay someone to do this for you. We can walk you through this if you are lust a tiny big tech savvy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones