U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2019, 08:46 PM

4,831 posts, read 6,725,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
It can be branded and still be unlocked. In fact, that's what I have. I bought a new AT&T branded unlocked phone on ebay from a reputable seller. I use it with Straight Talk but you could use it with Cricket, T-Mobile etc. as long as it's a compatible GSM network. Some of the apps that come with it are from AT&T, some don't affect me, some I've disabled, some I've uninstalled.

That's a chance everybody takes when ordering anything online, not just cell phones.

I personally would not buy a used or refurbished phone but again just make sure that the seller is reputable and stands behind the product.

Cricket IS AT&T, same company so rest assured it should work.

By the way if you want unlocked AND unbranded, I've seen them at Best Buy. They are not expensive either. Amazon has them as well.

You never mentioned what model of phone you were looking at.
Thanks for clarifying that for me. The phone I'm 95% decided on is the Samsung Galaxy S7. I am still using an S4, and it works fine, but one app I use will no longer work on it and I think I'm ready for a newer UI.

I never thought to look for new phones on ebay. I am feeling a bit skeptical that there could be a lot of new ones for sale on there...given that this phone is a couple of years old. How to trust that I'm not getting refurbished or stolen or something?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2019, 06:10 AM

7,156 posts, read 3,912,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenSparkles View Post
Thanks for clarifying that for me. The phone I'm 95% decided on is the Samsung Galaxy S7. I am still using an S4, and it works fine, but one app I use will no longer work on it and I think I'm ready for a newer UI.

I never thought to look for new phones on ebay. I am feeling a bit skeptical that there could be a lot of new ones for sale on there...given that this phone is a couple of years old. How to trust that I'm not getting refurbished or stolen or something?
Usually there’s a PayPal guarantee, and if I were to get something like this I always take pictures throughout the unboxing process.

It’s not unusual to have new boxed phones that are a few years old. Millions are manufactured and once the new model comes out a year later demand plummets. The battery might need replacing though.

Or as Peregrine says, try Swappa. I’ve had good success there as well.

Old 02-08-2019, 09:02 AM

3,972 posts, read 2,617,954 times
Quote:

Ebay is absolutely safe. I know of several people that buy cell phones on a regular basis. You are fully protected if you get a dud, most if not all will come with a 30 day return policy, no questions asked. Even if the seller does not honor the return which I doubt will happen, ebay will step in. I've had it happen a few times over the years, not with cell phones but with other stuff. Just make sure to pick a seller with a high rating and read some of the reviews of the seller as well.

They are new, as markjames mentioned. They are what is commonly known as "new old stock".

https://www.ebay.com/b/Cell-Phones-S...9355/bn_320094

I searched for a new s7, I found a couple in the $230 to $240 range.

Just be aware that although Samsung was one of the best android phones when the S4 came out, many other companies make great cell phones now. LG, Motorola, Google etc. I am very happy with my LG.

Old 02-12-2019, 02:12 PM

I went to ebay and looked at supposedly new Samsung S7 phones.... from sellers with high sales count and high ratings. In each case, I found lots of negative reviews of phones with bad batteries, screen scratches, stolen, etc - in other words - not new phones.

I can't say I feel confident about being able to buy a truly brand new phone on ebay. The prices are just a bit higher than the "mint" or "very good" phones listed on Swappa. In the case of Swappa, you get to see pics of the exact phone you are buying, which is not the case on ebay.

Old 02-12-2019, 04:03 PM

Quote:
I went to ebay and looked at supposedly new Samsung S7 phones.... from sellers with high sales count and high ratings. In each case, I found lots of negative reviews of phones with bad batteries, screen scratches, stolen, etc - in other words - not new phones.

I can't say I feel confident about being able to buy a truly brand new phone on ebay. The prices are just a bit higher than the "mint" or "very good" phones listed on Swappa. In the case of Swappa, you get to see pics of the exact phone you are buying, which is not the case on ebay.
IMO, Samsungs are overrated and too expensive. I would be looking at an LG, Pixel, Moto or something else. The new Moto G7 looks promising and you can find it new in the mainstream. I bought a new LG v20 for $200, new in the box on ebay. It is the flagship model from 2016. The v30 is a little more and from 2017. They are new by the way. If they were not, you could easily return them, no questions asked.

No need to see the "exact" pictures of the ones you are buying because they are supposed to be new. They wouldn't be new if they were taken out of the box to take pictures of each and everyone they sell, now would they? They do sell thousands, by the way, no exaggeration.

Here's the G7 Play, $200 brand new, unlocked.
https://www.rakuten.com/shop/virtual...4aAgDIEALw_wcB

Old 02-13-2019, 10:01 AM

OP, you never mentioned budget.

Here's the Moto X4, new on Amazon for $200
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07G7MYCCD...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

And if you're wondering how it measures up to the S7, here's a comparison. You can compare any two phones this way if you wish, just type into google.
https://www.gadgetsnow.com/compare-m...sung-Galaxy-S7

Old 02-21-2019, 08:50 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. I do appreciate your help. I completely drive myself crazy over this issue, I am so indecisive!! There are just too many options, it just overloads my brain.

My conditions for a new phone are:

1. has earphone jack.
2. size - I like the width of the Samsung I currently have - which is apprx 2.75"
3. prefer to spend under $250.... $200 is better
4. Android
5. something reliable

The one thing I don't understand is it seems I continually get told not to want a Samsung phone. The only two smart phones I've had are an Iphone (can't recall which one it was, it was before 2015) and a Samsung S4, and I really like my S4.

My current phone is still working fine... I am just going to keep it for now and maybe re-visit this issue in 6 months. I now remember why I felt like I needed to look for a new phone - I was worried they are going to stop making phones with headphone jacks. But it seems that hasn't happened quite yet.

Old 02-22-2019, 03:03 AM

197 posts, read 75,388 times
Quote:
Thanks for the suggestions. I do appreciate your help. I completely drive myself crazy over this issue, I am so indecisive!! There are just too many options, it just overloads my brain.

My conditions for a new phone are:

1. has earphone jack.
2. size - I like the width of the Samsung I currently have - which is apprx 2.75"
3. prefer to spend under $250.... $200 is better
4. Android
5. something reliable

The one thing I don't understand is it seems I continually get told not to want a Samsung phone. The only two smart phones I've had are an Iphone (can't recall which one it was, it was before 2015) and a Samsung S4, and I really like my S4.

My current phone is still working fine... I am just going to keep it for now and maybe re-visit this issue in 6 months. I now remember why I felt like I needed to look for a new phone - I was worried they are going to stop making phones with headphone jacks. But it seems that hasn't happened quite yet.

Not have a specific phone model can recommend you, though can say have had better success with LG than with Samsung, but each time I have had to replace a phone, I have first gone to https://www.phonescoop.com/phones/finder.php which has a lot of filters for one's needs. You can find out about your conditions 1, 2, and 4 there. Once you have limited the list, go the carrier's website, they will have prices, select retail and not-to-month option for prices, and usually at least dozens of user reviews on any particular phone.

As far as price you are suggesting, these are budget phones, which my first starter smartphone Samsung brand $168 had quality issues with sound (speakerphone and eventually mic), display (not bright enough in sunlight), lacking memory if use many apps (16 GB typical with operating system using say 1/3 of it), no advanced picture taking features (can end up with blurry photos), overheating using a particular software app, no NFC (near field communication if use that purchases, reading QR bar codes). User reviews on phones of all brands in this price range will point to issues on the phones, and the overall user review ratings on any particular model is mostly under 4 stars out of 5. You may want to consider a month-to-month payment plan to get a better phone, but that also commits you to a 2-year contract with the carrier.

Old 02-22-2019, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprklcl View Post
Not have a specific phone model can recommend you, though can say have had better success with LG than with Samsung, but each time I have had to replace a phone, I have first gone to https://www.phonescoop.com/phones/finder.php which has a lot of filters for one's needs. You can find out about your conditions 1, 2, and 4 there. Once you have limited the list, go the carrier's website, they will have prices, select retail and not-to-month option for prices, and usually at least dozens of user reviews on any particular phone.

As far as price you are suggesting, these are budget phones, which my first starter smartphone Samsung brand $168 had quality issues with sound (speakerphone and eventually mic), display (not bright enough in sunlight), lacking memory if use many apps (16 GB typical with operating system using say 1/3 of it), no advanced picture taking features (can end up with blurry photos), overheating using a particular software app, no NFC (near field communication if use that purchases, reading QR bar codes). User reviews on phones of all brands in this price range will point to issues on the phones, and the overall user review ratings on any particular model is mostly under 4 stars out of 5. You may want to consider a month-to-month payment plan to get a better phone, but that also commits you to a 2-year contract with the carrier.
Thank you for taking the time to help me. I appreciate it. That website looks like it will be helpful.

Part of my problem is that I had my Iphone provided by an employer so I didn't pay for it and I got my Samsung S4 brand new for $100 for a cyber Monday deal,

So I've never paid much for a phone, and I am frugal by nature. I'm not the type who would finance an expensive phone with a payment plan. I realize that I will end up with a potentially lower quality phone by paying less, but this is why I am considering a used Samsung S7.

I'm sure some day I will figure out which phone to buy.

Old 02-23-2019, 03:09 PM

Quote:
The one thing I don't understand is it seems I continually get told not to want a Samsung phone.
Things have changed a LOT in the cell phone industry since the S4 (Samsung) came out. iphones (Apple) of course do not have any competition but there are many companies make Android phones which are considered as good as at or better than Samsung. IMO, they are not at the top of the heap anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones