U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2019, 08:28 PM

3,087 posts, read 5,972,437 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking about doing more online banking because I'm hardly on my desktop computer yet I'm often on my smartphone. This way I can monitor my account better. However, I'm concerned that banking on my phone is unsafe. I don't want anyone to access my information. What is your experience with baking on your phone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2019, 06:50 AM

1,953 posts, read 3,365,228 times
I've been doing it for years; I've had no problems. Just don't do it on public wifi.

Old 02-11-2019, 07:43 AM

1,143 posts, read 330,683 times
was told some years ago that cell phone technology is not secure like internet tech....however i just mentioned the same thing last year and am now told data has been made more secure...

but even with all that said....the reason i myself wont do banking from a phone is that i might lose the device with all the credentials stores on it as well

Old 02-11-2019, 08:12 AM

12,434 posts, read 10,901,950 times
Just don't do it while connected to public WiFi and it's very safe.

Old 02-11-2019, 08:41 AM

11,825 posts, read 13,964,257 times
I'll do it on wifi too using the banking app. Those are very safe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvis44102 View Post
but even with all that said....the reason i myself wont do banking from a phone is that i might lose the device with all the credentials stores on it as well

Do you not have a pin code on your phone?

Old 02-11-2019, 12:55 PM

8,676 posts, read 9,452,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
Just don't do it while connected to public WiFi and it's very safe.
This is the number rule. Not on public WiFi! We’ve been doing banking on my wife’s iPhone with a Bank of America app. No problems. We either use data or our home WiFi.

On the subject of public WiFi we never use it for any reason. No matter what you’re doing you’re device can still be hacked. Talk to my daughter. She was hacked at a Starbuck doing general stuff.

We have plenty of data so need for pub WiFi.

Old 02-11-2019, 01:06 PM

Quote:
was told some years ago that cell phone technology is not secure like internet tech....however i just mentioned the same thing last year and am now told data has been made more secure...

With a program like “find my iPhone” you can lock or wipe the phone in question.

Old 02-11-2019, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
I'll do it on wifi too using the banking app. Those are very safe.

Do you not have a pin code on your phone?

just a week ago i woke up to a dead screen phone...so i went to boost (it was an LG phone on boost network) to see what king of deal i would get...$75 replacement...over to metro they give me a $150 credit to switch..so now i have metro till that breaks and back to boost...

i wouldn't even have a phone except in case the car breaks..lol that's the irony i actually do PC work but im not a high tech must have guy

i have no pin code

Old 02-11-2019, 05:27 PM

Quote:

i wouldn't even have a phone except in case the car breaks..lol that's the irony i actually do PC work but im not a high tech must have guy

i have no pin code
i don’t understand why having a phone is just in case (only) if I have car trouble. What if you were having a heart attack while driving as did mrs5150 a few years back. Unfortunately we had disconnected our landline so driving home to call 911 was not an option. What no landline!!! Yes, why pay for something you don’t need. The call quality of our iPhones is as good or better than landline or so people tell us.

Old 02-11-2019, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
i don’t understand why having a phone is just in case (only) if I have car trouble. What if you were having a heart attack while driving as did mrs5150 a few years back. Unfortunately we had disconnected our landline so driving home to call 911 was not an option. What no landline!!! Yes, why pay for something you don’t need. The call quality of our iPhones is as good or better than landline or so people tell us.

i suppose i meant any emergency..but im NOT a phone talker...i know people who should have the phone implanted in their head they talk so much..

i also still do part-time work so need phone for that as well...Ive had good luck with LG phones 2gb RAM 32gb other memory nothing fancy and yes the very bottom end android phone are not to good...need something a little better
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or