Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2019, 12:21 AM

550 posts, read 364,043 times

Advertisements

Even with smartphone predictive text, its challenging typing i.e. an email more than 2 or 3 sentences with the small on-screen keyboard. Everybody's fingers are different sizes, and my typing is slowed by often hitting the wrong adjacent letter on the screen keyboard. Looking for a portable keyboard, foldable or mini for Androids which can use with my phone, an LG G7 ThinQ under a year old with a USB-C connector. I *require* a wired connection, knowing from past work data security experience, live in an apartment with nearby neighbors not know (have wired router, not Wifi), and wired USB connections are more reliable and stable and less connectivity challenges getting set up than Wifi or bluetooth. Though wireless can be password protected (bluetooth is only 4 numbers), it can still be hacked and not want a neighbor or stranger hacking into my email typing say with bluetooth signals going through walls lacking concrete or brick under 30 feet away. As most smartphones in the last 2 to 3 years or so have a USB-C connector, I rather get the keyboard with a USB-C cable, rather than a USB micro cable and getting a convertor to USB-C; though I have a charging/data USB-C cable, but not sure if it will work with the keyboard. Its ok if the portable Android keyboard has both wireless and wired modes, but I will only use the wired.

My Google, Amazon, and this forum searches where have spent more than an hour not coming up with results for needs, but maybe using the wrong search terms. True the majority of Android keyboards are wireless, but millions living in apartment, condo, and townhouses across the US, which at least some are concerned about data security. Hoping someone here using or has experience with such a foldable/mini/portable wired keyboard that will work with an Android smartphone with a USB-C connector can recommend a specific model number, that is currently being sold.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2019, 12:47 AM

61,649 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Luckily your LG G7 ThinQ has OTG function you can connect external devices.

How, explained here:
https://www.hongkiat.com/blog/connec...rd-to-android/

Devices available on Amazon: (also available at Walmart and Best Buy)
https://www.amazon.com/Efanr-Univers...5CGCH868QRSVQD
Unfortunately, those wired keyboards don't get great reviews.

Last edited by elnina; 02-17-2019 at 01:08 AM..

Old 02-17-2019, 12:49 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,683,966 times
The good thing is that Android can connect and recognize just about any keyboard as long as you got the right connector. I have bluetooth keyboard that can easily connect to my Android phone. Most portable keyboard these days use bluetooth and not USB. You just need to turn it on and wait for it to sync. I know that can be tricky sometimes. But other mini keyboards with usb just aren't as small or portable to use.

Other way is simply buy Blackberry Android smartphone, the newest models are pretty good phones with a good keyboard.

Old 02-17-2019, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Explained here:
https://www.hongkiat.com/blog/connec...rd-to-android/

On Amazon: (also available at Walmart and Best Buy)
https://www.amazon.com/Efanr-Univers...5CGCH868QRSVQD
Unfortunately, those wired keyboards don't get great reviews.
I did confirm my LG G7 is OTG USB (your hongkiat link). However, attaching a spare 18 inch long USB PC/laptop keyboard I already have (after getting a to USB-C converter) is not portable enough for my needs.

Reviewing the Amazon product link, it is more portable, but yes as you, concerned that the product does not get great reviews, so I hoping there is something better. Yes, did see a few other USB micro Android keyboard products on Amazon with mixed reviews, but wondering why no USB-C ones which the majority of smartphones recently use this type of connectivity. Of course, Amazon's product search function leaves room for improvement, giving too much of what not want, and what really need and searching for is way hidden in some deep dark corner.

Last edited by sprklcl; 02-17-2019 at 01:43 AM..

Old 02-17-2019, 03:55 AM

Unfortunately I couldn't find better products for your needs. I think Bluetooth is just more sought after.
With the USB-C more and more used on smartphones you would thing there is a plethora of accessories supporting it, but no - I spent hours to find a decent earphones/earbuds for my Google Pixel phone and the results were just very disappointing. They implemented this new connection but are lagging behind with decent accessories.

Old 02-17-2019, 04:36 AM

I did just come across this one on Amazon https://www.amazon.com/Bluetooth-Viv...gateway&sr=8-3 that is compact, well rated, and supports both Bluebooth and USB. Though a micro USB cable is included in the package, wondering if my LG G7 (an OTG phone) USB to USB-C charging/data cable will work with the keyboard or what converter will I need (Amazon has hundreds)?

Old 02-17-2019, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Unfortunately I couldn't find better products for your needs. I think Bluetooth is just more sought after.
With the USB-C more and more used on smartphones you would thing there is a plethora of accessories supporting it, but no - I spent hours to find a decent earphones/earbuds for my Google Pixel phone and the results were just very disappointing. They implemented this new connection but are lagging behind with decent accessories.
elnina, thanks, went through the same challenge finding non bluetooth earphones for my first smartphone a few years ago, and decided to go without; and if in public with others around, hold the phone to my ear if not need hands for something else, use my LG G7 speakerphone at its lowest volume or speaking inches from my mic at its highest volume, all choices keeping others from hearing much if any of the other end of the conversation from being heard, worst case of the three audio is quieter than normal conversation volume.

Though bluetooth is great for many, with the cool, portable, and hands free factors and much profit for makers for those accessories, given personal circumstances with unknown apartment neighbors in 30 foot range and weak 4-digit security on bluetooth unless it can be set at all to something better on the item, I did reach out to the Amazon seller Vive Comb on the keyboard item with my question above about any USB-C connectivity options as the keyboard package only includes a micro USB cable. I am thinking it will work, but before spending close $35 for it and avoiding a return if it does not, just need a good comfort level about the specific wired connectivity. I'll report back here when I hear back from the seller within the expected 2 business days.

Old 02-19-2019, 02:38 PM

Did hear back from the seller initially, but still follow up questions from that exchange waiting to hear back. Looks like this keyboard https://www.amazon.com/Bluetooth-Viv...gateway&sr=8-3 with a USB micro cable included with a USB-A connector to plug into another device as found this well-rated USB-C adapter since https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074P42LS4...ing=UTF8&psc=1 with power current protections will work on my USB-C OTG confirmed phone (LG G7 phone), but *my question*, can anyone with tech knowledge here confirm? Due to apartment neighbors not know within 30 foot range, bluetooth with only 4-digit passcode security, often the default is 0000, can risk my typing of email to being intercepted. As the moderator here and others elsewhere have expressed, bluetooth is not the preference for everyone for varying reasons.

The seller offers another USB-C adapter which he sells with a mouse https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07L3GMH1Q , but lacking full specs online, awaiting his response. Apparently the connectivity on the keyboard, though both wireless/bluetooth and USB, I surmise the USB cable included with keyboard is primarily for laptop/PC connectivity, despite what reading with the summary keyboard Amazon product description where can infer where both USB and wireless can work with smartphones. The seller says I am the exception connecting this way with USB, and offers a full refund if it does not work out (though personally hate taking the time doing product returns).

Old 02-27-2019, 11:42 AM

Received today above the viveComb keybardrd with built-in mouse pad and click buttons and included USB-A cable and USB-C adapter kit from Amazon. This DOES indeed work in USB mode with my smartphone above. When my time permits and if interest, I plan to post instructions how this works and the mostly plug and play setup by sometime tomorrow Thursday. So excited that can more quickly type emails more than a couple sentences long on the go with my smartphone with this compact foldable keyboard!

Old 02-27-2019, 01:30 PM

Great find,OP. Thanks for this f/u!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones